Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Exactly… So if your a professional engineer in this field (reliability engineer) and working for FCA, and you (the chief engineer of FCA Jeep) don't recommend a lifetime warranty.. what does that say to you..

It should mean, they (FCA Jeep chief engineer) have not made the business case that this specific motor will NOT meet the test of time and related value.

Thus steer clear...

BTW: 3.6 is cleared for lifetime warrenty.. ( at least it was as of recent, it changes weekly)...

hope that helps...

TC
The 6.4 Hemi and Hellcat’s 6.2 were also excluded, that doesn’t make them bad engines.

BTW: The 3.6 is not cleared for lifetime warranty. They did away with the lifetime option on all vehicles almost a year ago (12/1/18)

By that logic you should steer clear of any FCA product.
Sponsored

Frankencar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want JLURD. Have JKUR, 10 VW's and Dad's Willys Pickup.
Are current gasoline Jeeps underpowered at low engine speed? I assume this means off-roading or rock crawling.
Yes. Take a JL with the 3.6 and a roof rack on 37's up a mountain pass at 70 and you'll need to drop a few gears to maintain speed. I'd bet the diesel will do it a gear or two higher making the whole experience more pleasant. Off road in low range is irrelevant as the crawl ratio would make even a heavily underpowered motor acceptable.

Example:
Let's say the highway you are on, maybe climbing out of Death Valley, over Donner, etc. requires 170 HP. With the Pentastar you would need to be at or above 4,000 RPM while the EcoDiesel would only need to be at or above 2400 RPM (based on old diesel dyno chart).

Back in high school my wife had a VW New Beetle that made 115 HP and climbing the grade on HWY 50 required dropping to 3rd gear to maintain 75 mph. At this point you could accelerate a little bit, but not much. If you tried it in 4th gear you would loose speed. We replaced it with a diesel New Beetle with only 90 HP. You would think this would be worse, but it wasn't. It could maintain the grade in 5th at 75MPH. It did not however have enough power to gain speed up the hill. This is all because at lower RPM the diesel made much more HP, enough to not need to drop two gear to find enough to get the job done. While the gasser made 25 more hp - a whole 27% more than the diesel - it needed to be at an annoyingly high RPM to do so. On a race track this would have been fine, but in every day driving I much preferred having the power available at a the lower RPM most normal people rive in on a daily basis. While this is not a direct comparison it is one I am very familiar with and the same principle will apply on the Jeep. My last trip to the Rubicon included a JK loaded with 4 people and a rack full of gear for the weekend and we spend tons of time near redline on our way up there.

Frankencar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want JLURD. Have JKUR, 10 VW's and Dad's Willys Pickup.
Interesting how you can ID that whether or not an individual realizes fuel savings is dependent on their location, then boil it down to a binary “nope”. Also interesting how little nuance you’re willing to entertain regarding the environment, based on the narrative of groups like the EPA and CARB who will gladly trade increased CO2 emissions for decreased particulate and NOx emissions. Turns out diesels account for lifetime CO2 emissions on par with electric vehicles running on the average US power sources...particularly when efficiency is maximized with DPF/EGR deletes. But hey, the environment is only about NOx and particulate right?
To add to this, modern DPF equipped diesel engines introduce less particulates into the atmosphere than comparable gasoline engines. So it is really just the NOx - though Selective Catalytic Reduction with DEF brings that down to comparable levels too. There is a good chance this EcoDiesel emits less of everything but NOx (which would be similar) than the 3.6. This would be based on fuel throughput too - not per ton-mile, so in reality the diesel will likely emit less emissions per mile in the JL than any of the other engine options at this point. We will not know for sure until the number are out, but the greenest option may indeed be the diesel - though I'm not sure how many care. :/ Even with all the benefits, the Diesel won't be for everyone. I bet the take rate will be fairly small, but I sure am glad the Wrangler is finally offered with MULTIPLE engine choices. This will serve the customers far better than just one V6.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
KEYWORD with the Diesel is: DRIVEABILITY

As someone who has a JKU with 90K on the clock I can tell you the Diesel will be much more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis if your Wrangler is modified. 35s or 37s + steel bumpers front and rear + winch add a lot of weight. While the Wrangler stock is fine, they don't like weight. My JKU is terrible in the mountains and tiresome on long trips that require hours of hwy driving. Simply having the power to get out of its own way will make a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in how much more enjoyable these vehicles become for Overlanding.

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl

As someone who has a JKU with 90K on the clock I can tell you the Diesel will be much more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis if your Wrangler is modified. 35s or 37s + steel bumpers front and rear + winch add a lot of weight. While the Wrangler stock is fine, they don't like weight. My JKU is terrible in the mountains and tiresome on long trips that require hours of hwy driving. Simply having the power to get out of its own way will make a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in how much more enjoyable these vehicles become for Overlanding.
I currently drive a 2015 JK with Steel bumpers, winch and roof top tent full of camping gear. On a 3000 mile road trip earlier this year through Southern Utah I drove for hours struggling to keep up with traffic on the lengthy climbs where I found myself tucking in behind a loaded Semi to allow the traffic to zip by me. I would love an engine with a great deal more torque available.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I currently drive a 2015 JK with Steel bumpers, winch and roof top tent full of camping gear. On a 3000 mile road trip earlier this year through Southern Utah I drove for hours struggling to keep up with traffic on the lengthy climbs where I found myself tucking in behind a loaded Semi to allow the traffic to zip by me. I would love an engine with a great deal more torque available.
100% I was in Vegas but now in Boise so I'm all over the Sierras, OR, WA, WY, MT and UT for weekend trips. This means usually 5-6 hours behind the wheel on hwys just getting to where I'm going and this is where my current Wrangler is TERRIBLE.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD

Imagine driving a 3.8. I drive on average 18K miles a year and do 2+ hour drives weekly. I can't wait to get the diesel, it will be so much less fatiguing on long trips. Not to mention the interior is 100x nicer than the interior of my 09. My family had an ecodiesel GC and it was a blast to drive.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine driving a 3.8. I drive on average 18K miles a year and do 2+ hour drives weekly. I can't wait to get the diesel, it will be so much less fatiguing on long trips. Not to mention the interior is 100x nicer than the interior of my 09. My family had an ecodiesel GC and it was a blast to drive.
Yea that would be even worst. My 2013 has been good to me, just any distance in it and I'm yelling about how I want to sell it lol

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Plenty of people that upgrade their engine (in many cars) to have more HP\torque also upgrade to a stronger clutch\pressure plate that's rated to handle more power.
FYI: The clutch is not the limitation here, it's the torque capacity of the AL6/D478. Max torque capacity is 370 Nm (272.898 lb-ft). This is probably one of the reasons why there is no 2.0 manual also.

The ban on tunes is highly concerning for me especially given then the unexpected curtailment of 480ftlb to 442. Still lots of go but who knows what the low end of the curve will truly look?
The torque curve will likely have a long flat section, wider than with the 480 lb-ft tune. FCA is limiting the torque output of these motors, probably to save themselves from some internal part failure. The 442 lb-ft of torque isn't a random number, it is a hard limit on the torque output (442 lb-ft ≈ 600 Nm & 480 lb-ft = 650 Nm). The 2.0 also has this hard limit on the torque output (295 lb-ft = 400 Nm).

With the limited info that we have so far, here is a rough estimate of how the 3.0 Rubicon road force compares to the 2.0 Rubicon. (Road force is the force the tires apply to the road). More details here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-gearing-with-larger-tires.38679/#post-864715
pounds-of-road-foce-by-gear-1-png.png

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
The 6.4 Hemi and Hellcat’s 6.2 were also excluded, that doesn’t make them bad engines.

BTW: The 3.6 is not cleared for lifetime warranty. They did away with the lifetime option on all vehicles almost a year ago (12/1/18)

Your right they are not "bad" just riskier.. And you are correct, I would not have bought one without a life time warranty.

Well if they put in a 6.2 or 6.4... I would not care :)

That's a whole nother story... love to have a hemi... but those $ are not in my future.. I get scared about breaking the transmission..

Besides.. Jeeps and logic... hmm :)

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you guys just sucked all the fun out of this thread. Charts, facts, math. No thank you.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you guys just sucked all the fun out of this thread. Charts, facts, math. No thank you.
For realz! Getting all technical to justify a purchase lol serious stuff in here.. The 3.0 guys are kind of no fun LOL
Sponsored