Quick Help please, do I have LSD?

YY1985YY

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S MT
I read some of the 2018 manual transmission Sports came with the Dana 44/m220, but I can’t tell if I have LSD or not. I looked at my build sheet but no mention of LSD, but my car did come with the A/T tires, so was it included?

My car specs:
- May 2018 build, JLU Sport S
- Manual Transmission
- A/T Bridgestone tires
- Dana 44 (shows on build sheet)
*no LSD option on window sticker

So is it an open diff Dana 44 or what?

Thanks for reading , any help would be appreciated .
Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is my understanding that Manual's got the Dana 44 (M220) OPEN differential. Limited slip remains an option on the manual with that axle.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
YY1985YY

YY1985YY

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S MT

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since the axles don't come with the tires on them to factory nothing would dictate that A/T's get the LSD automatically. However, ORDERING a LSD forces installation of the A/T's. When I ordered I had choice of A/T (Sales Code "TRR") even before I chose the LSD (therefore, regardless of axle), but when I specified LSD (Sales Code DSA) A/T's were then "forced".

Other possibility is they ran out of highway tires and substituted. I know they sub Bridgestone & Goodyear as needed - could be same for A/T vs. highway tread. Who knows!

Bottom line...If it doesn't say Anti-Spin under Optional Equipment on build sheet, then you have open diff....

upload_2019-10-11_12-53-4.png

Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You can jack up the back end under the pumpkin so both rear wheels are off the ground. Spin one wheel by hand, and if the other wheel spins the same direction you have lsd. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction you have an open diff. Of course be safe when jacking up the rear end.

OP
OP
YY1985YY

YY1985YY

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S MT
Thank you for the replies, seems like I got open diff, but I'll try spinning the rear wheel (to know for sure) when I get the chance .

Thanks again everyone ~

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thank you for the replies, seems like I got open diff, but I'll try spinning the rear wheel (to know for sure) when I get the chance .

Thanks again everyone ~
Also make sure the transmission is in neutral and e brake off lol.

OP
OP
YY1985YY

YY1985YY

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S MT
You can jack up the back end under the pumpkin so both rear wheels are off the ground. Spin one wheel by hand, and if the other wheel spins the same direction you have lsd. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction you have an open diff. Of course be safe when jacking up the rear end.
Just a follow up for those who want to know in the future. I just checked after lifting my car up, Got OPEN Differential , so even 2018 6-Speed Manuals with A/T tires don’t get LSD unless you paid for it, oh well~

Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just a follow up for those who want to know in the future. I just checked after lifting my car up, Got OPEN Differential , so even 2018 6-Speed Manuals with A/T tires don’t get LSD unless you paid for it, oh well~
I wouldn’t worry to much. The LSD will help in the snow on the road and maybe a little off road but it’s had some issues where the open differential is fine. The BLD system in the Jeep honestly does good for what it is off road even though we have open differentials. I think the difference between a h/t to an a/t or m/t makes a bigger difference than the open to a factory lsd since we get the BLD system.

OP
OP
YY1985YY

YY1985YY

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S MT
I wouldn’t worry to much. The LSD will help in the snow on the road and maybe a little off road but it’s had some issues where the open differential is fine. The BLD system in the Jeep honestly does good for what it is off road even though we have open differentials. I think the difference between a h/t to an a/t or m/t makes a bigger difference than the open to a factory lsd since we get the BLD system.
I agree, tires are the most important. People use to stare in awe when my older brother was able drive through heavy snow & icy roads in a 2003 BMW Z4 roadster, other cars & SUVs slipped and slid, yet the Z4 remained perfectly reliable in blizzard conditions because he had Blizzak snow tires on + a little extra weight with sand bags in the trunk to help the RWD.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The spin test doesn't work after a few thousand miles. By that time the defective anti spin clutches are shot and we're over at the "Knock in rear with Dana 44" thread.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I agree, tires are the most important. People use to stare in awe when my older brother was able drive through heavy snow & icy roads in a 2003 BMW Z4 roadster, other cars & SUVs slipped and slid, yet the Z4 remained perfectly reliable in blizzard conditions because he had Blizzak snow tires on + a little extra weight with sand bags in the trunk to help the RWD.
That’s funny! I’ve seen the Blizzak’s work it doesn’t even look right on a snow covered road when they have plenty of grip lol. I had a 240 full stripped interior and BFG G force tires on the back. I’d be stuck up a hill, on flat ground, and even down a hill :CWL:

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The spin test doesn't work after a few thousand miles. By that time the defective anti spin clutches are shot and we're over at the "Knock in rear with Dana 44" thread.
Goodness they wear out that quick? That’s really bad and not normal wear.
Sponsored