Sponsored

Here's the Rubi spec's I plan to buy. Advice?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
My Sky One-Touch Power Top fits much tighter. I live in Kansas where the crosswinds blow at 40mph routinely and we do not ha very many trees or traffic. Granted, if the sun is out - my top is down.
I raise and lower my top typically ten times a day. My top is open 95% of the time from March to October and 60% in the winter.
Whenever there is the least amount of tension I fully open the top and then close it. That seems to reset the tension. The have experienced issues is when the top is in motion and I an causing G-forces from a very fast and tight turn.
I have had a lot of Jeeps and convertible cars over the years. This is as good as it gets.
Even if it operates fine, to me it gives a sense of a run roof than an open top because it restricts the upward openness with the thick side railings/fixtures. Also, how far back does it go behind the the rear seat passenger heads?

I do agree that it's still better than not putting the top down if you need use it ten times a day. Plus it might not attract the wrong types because the soft top part is not visible to the outside.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Even if it operates fine, to me it gives a sense of a run roof than an open top because it restricts the upward openness with the thick side railings/fixtures. Also, how far back does it go behind the the rear seat passenger heads?

I do agree that it's still better than not putting the top down if you need use it ten times a day. Plus it might not attract the wrong types because the soft top part is not visible to the outside.

Have you seen one? or have you driven in one? I think your just into what you own. No problem......I'm happy for you. But if your gonna comment more.....provide some real facts. Carry on.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director

A couple of answers. When you sit inside there is less open feeling than a soft top, yet very comparable to driving with the Freedom Hardtop Top panels removed on my old JKU.
It opens all the way to parallel with the rear seat headrests.
In the wintertime, I open the Sky One-Touch Power open as little as 8 inches just for the fresh air. The heated steering wheel and seats make it a winter joy. I could never do this with any other Jeep or convertible I have previously owned.

OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
A couple of answers. When you sit inside there is less open feeling than a soft top, yet very comparable to driving with the Freedom Hardtop Top panels removed on my old JKU.
It opens all the way to parallel with the rear seat headrests.
In the wintertime, I open the Sky One-Touch Power open as little as 8 inches just for the fresh air. The heated steering wheel and seats make it a winter joy. I could never do this with any other Jeep or convertible I have previously owned.
Most important question / answer.........would you buy it again?

Neos281

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Tech
This may not be a concern about standard fenders, but in my experience having owned several jeeps with them, when they get mud and dirt on them for extended periods it becomes embedded. Never really found a good way or cleaner to get it out. Have seen some solutions on the forum but still a pain if you want to keep them clean. Living in the mountains and having cold weather for up to 6 months a year stuff stays on the for long periods of time.
Just use 303 protectant on your fender following a wash. Spray the 303 product on the fender and leave on for 30 secs and then wipe away clean with a microfiber towel. This will protect and keep the luster on the black unpainted fender for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Most important question / answer.........would you buy it again?
Yes - I would buy it again. The Sky One-Touch Power Top is the most important option to have on my next Wrangler because I love driving with the top down so much.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I ordered my Rubicon last Saturday and debated many of the things that you are.

I went with painted fenders as I like the look. I have a 2016 Willys with the black plastic fenders and they’re great. There’s no right answer. I fully expect to scratch my painted fenders. So what? It’s a Jeep.

The Sky One-Touch is super cool. My colleagues, one with a Rubicon and one with a Sahara, both love it. It’s most of what’s good with a soft top and most of what’s good with a hard top, but not being as good as either, yet straddling both supremely well. I got the dual top group. My plan is to swap tops seasonally as I have the storage space. We’ll see how that pans out.

If there’s anything that I’ve learned from this order process is that doubt is inevitable: Right engine? Right color? Leather or cloth? BLIS or not?

If you’re going to err, err on the side of the ‘upgrade’. It’s way easier and cheaper to ‘downgrade’ afterward than ’upgrade’ afterwards.

Read the thread about regrets. It changed my perspective massively.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Have you seen one? or have you driven in one? I think your just into what you own. No problem......I'm happy for you. But if your gonna comment more.....provide some real facts. Carry on.
You ask for thoughts from people and then shoot them down when they don't agree with you based on facts. Then you accuse them of being rigid with their views. Great attitude.

As the other guy said, it doesn't even go past the rear head rest. A Sky Top will never give the same feeling as having a Wrangler with the soft top down. They brought it in for the people who never had a Wrangler before or those who can't operate a soft top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Foggy47

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You ask for thoughts from people and then shoot them down when they don't agree with you based on facts. Then you accuse them of being rigid with their views. Great attitude.

As the other guy said, it doesn't even go past the rear head rest. A MyTop will never give the same feeling as having a Wrangler with the soft top down. They brought it in for the people who never had a Wrangler before or those who can't operate a soft top.
^ Sorry.....didnt mean to come off that way. I just think that mechanic's take on the Sky One Touch was a bit off base and it was his intial impressions that likely were a bit biased. I now have driven a variety of vehicles including one with this top.

For my needs and the way I operate....I like the Sky One Touch top, and have purchased a new unlimited rubicon with this feature and more (including the color fenders). I realize it's not for everyone.....but it suits my needs quite well. I like the ability to open up anytime I want.....yet have some security when parking in the city.

It was not my intent to shoot you down. Just trying to make some tough decisions. Thanks for your counterpoints.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

As the other guy said, it doesn't even go past the rear head rest. A MyTop will never give the same feeling as having a Wrangler with the soft top down. They brought it in for the people who never had a Wrangler before or those who can't operate a soft top.
The Sky One-Touch Power Top is just another Wrangler option. I have had a lot of Jeeps going back to a Willy's. And even produced a video about using a soft top. The Sky One-Touch Power Top is Jeep evolution. It may be a foreign concept to some in the Jeep community. The Jeep is the most utilitarian vehicle around. The Wrangler is function before form. And I love the functionality of the top.
Sponsored