MOPAR bars with a soft top

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have dual tops but my soft top is currently on. I got a good local deal on MOPAR crossbars, so I bought them with the intent of using them on my hardtop. I was just wondering to myself if they would also work with the soft top. I searched and couldn't find an answer. Any know or have tried this?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have dual tops but my soft top is currently on. I got a good local deal on MOPAR crossbars, so I bought them with the intent of using them on my hardtop. I was just wondering to myself if they would also work with the soft top. I searched and couldn't find an answer. Any know or have tried this?
No they wouldn’t work with soft top

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That was one of the threads I found which made me post this question. I thought the way the MOPAR rails mounted it might work the same. I have a roof rack (basket style) that I want to use to haul gear for camping. No RTT or anything really heavy.
It seems that the plate that slides into the gutter is thicker on the Mopar rack.
Well, if the gutter fits, it's worth a try, though in that thread, they did mention that the "gutter" on soft-top is basically for sealing the door only and it's just held by 4 screws or something, remember you create a lot of wind load during driving, and it would be dangerous to have any load on it and driving highway speeds.

I personally wouldn't risk it.

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems that the plate that slides into the gutter is thicker on the Mopar rack.
Well, if the gutter fits, it's worth a try, though in that thread, they did mention that the "gutter" on soft-top is basically for sealing the door only and it's just held by 4 screws or something, remember you create a lot of wind load during driving, and it would be dangerous to have any load on it and driving highway speeds.

I personally wouldn't risk it.
I hear you and agree. I’m very risk averse with things like this and don’t want to push it. Not worth the trouble, or potential trouble. Thanks again.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
It does seem that some company could simply make an aftermarket version of soft top rails that are made out of metal. Still attach using the factory holes for the soft top style metal rails but add an option of drilling a hole in the roll bar for an additional bolt for added weight capacity. Totally doable.
Sponsored