Help! Headlight recommendation

RobVenom1986

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’ve owned my Jeep now for almost a year. Within a week of having it had some LED headlights. (Bulbs only) and the fogs done. I’ve already gone through two sets of leds for the headlight. Lithia second set went out a few days ago and now one of the fog lights went out too. I was gonna put back in the halogen lights temporarily but the guy that did them cut out the plugs and hard wired the LEDs. Could it be the products themselves going out or maybe there’s an electrical issues somewhere? Not sure which way to go about it
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
"The guy that did them cut out the plugs and hard wired the LEDs."

My guess is that this is the start of the issue. By plugs I hope you don't mean he cut the end of the headlight plug off, meaning you can't even just order new headlights and plug-n-play them.

If you want LED, then replacing the whole fixture with a proper reflector is the only real way to go, may cost more, but it's the right way to do it.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
^ what he said... please don’t be that guy driving down the road blinding people with LED bulbs in housings not meant for them.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had JW Speaker evo2 in my JKURHR they were great for a while, bit passenger side wiring got loose and I had to constantly take off grill and zip tie the plug....was a pain in the ass, bit good light output....I think the factory LEDs on the JL are better.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Take it to a dealer and get them to restore your headlights, and install OEM LEDs. I highly doubt anyone else is going to be able to help you repair a hack-job.

OP
OP

RobVenom1986

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
"The guy that did them cut out the plugs and hard wired the LEDs."

My guess is that this is the start of the issue. By plugs I hope you don't mean he cut the end of the headlight plug off, meaning you can't even just order new headlights and plug-n-play them.

If you want LED, then replacing the whole fixture with a proper reflector is the only real way to go, may cost more, but it's the right way to do it.

Unfortunately he did cut off the end of the headlight plug. I just realized today also that the fog lights that he replaced weren’t even installed properly. ‍♂

2883422A-3B1E-455D-A6E9-328B98517537.jpeg

03A35590-DCD5-4B88-86DC-6DC0DD16778D.jpeg

OP
OP

RobVenom1986

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
^ what he said... please don’t be that guy driving down the road blinding people with LED bulbs in housings not meant for them.

I was that guy for awhile. Only because I didn’t know any better. I tried to aim the head light down to help

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good luck w/ your new setup, it will be a bit of a chore to splice a new headlight harness but not too bad, just a shame you had that done to you :(

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately he did cut off the end of the headlight plug. I just realized today also that the fog lights that he replaced weren’t even installed properly. ‍♂
It looks like he may have only cut the actual bulb insert. The headlight fixture itself is much larger with a small plug in the back. You may still be OK.

upload_2019-10-10_16-5-14.png
Sponsored