Hit a Bump Almost Died

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Hit a bump on the interstate going about 60-65, front end started shaking violently. Decelerated to 45 and the shaking stopped. Accelerated again to 70-75, hit another small bump, and the shaking was worse, almost to the point of losing control. Decelerated and exited the interstate. This Jeep has had the V41 recall performed at another dealership within the last month. Anyone had anything similar? I gave an appointment tomorrow to have it checked and maybe have the front end aligned
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
:giggle: Death wobble strikes. So, you never experienced this before your recall? Just curious. I've never had it happen in my JL. But, I did on my TJ and it scares the shit out of you:giggle:

JeepRAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Curious to know your front tires PSI. I found that keeping them at 32 or so helps. But still there.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
This V41 recall, a new steering stabilizer is not going to fix death wobble. It will only mask the problem.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Sorry for your experience.. I have decided to not have mine done as I am not having any problems and do not want to introduce any so appreciate your posting. Anytime I have had vehicle issues it is when I let the dealer touch it and I mean simple oil changes.

I hope it all works out and please keep us posted.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Curious to know your front tires PSI. I found that keeping them at 32 or so helps. But still there.
Something is worn out and needs to be replaced - tire pressure will never cause death wobble by itself. it could be tie rod end, worn ball joints, worn wheel bearings, a worn or loose front track bar, a worn drag link or tie rod, or a combination of them. You should be able to drive your Jeep without a steering stabilizer and not have death wobble. I had it years ago and was properly fixed and never had it again.

Sponsored

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
:giggle: Death wobble strikes. So, you never experienced this before your recall? Just curious. I've never had it happen in my JL. But, I did on my TJ and it scares the shit out of you:giggle:
My TJ would death wobble between 51-56 mph, anything over or under was fine. That was the scary spot. I had to accelerate hard to get past the death wobbles. So treacherous.

Man I loved that Jeep!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It's a time honored tradition for those that don't maintain their Jeep and inspect their suspension components. The parts don't last forever and need to be inspected.
So you're ok? Thank God... the OP said you died.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
For starters. This is easy to do. Get under your jeep with it on and have someone turn the steering wheel and forth. Pay attention to all the steering connections and Track Bar. Check your track bar for movement at the frame mount and Axle Mount. If you see any slight movement, that there is probably your issue. Also check the Tie Rod and Drag Link.

OP
OP
JDoty47

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
I've had a shake occur while hitting bumps before but it was a quick shimmy. Like leftrightleft done. This was extended and violent, and twice within a minute
Sponsored