Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
The 2 door does not get the Diesel option due to the additional length of the eight speed transmission. Rear driveline issues. When these diesel wrangler start rolling in you will notice the rear driveshaft will be shorter than it is on the gas model.
Actually according to Jeep reps, the drivetrain fits fine, the reason they skipped two door is that once the def tank steals fuel tank space they thought the fuel tank would be too small on the two door and not sell.

IE the engineers lack the imagination to come up with a solution that doesn't eat into fuel tank space.
Sponsored

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
The ban on tunes is highly concerning for me especially given then the unexpected curtailment of 480ftlb to 442. Still lots of go but who knows what the low end of the curve will truly look? Would be nice to have the tunes available. I can’t wait to get behind one of these for a test.
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/settlement-epa-and-department-justice-prohibits-performance-diesel-inc-selling-diesel

F
or diesel benefits don’t forget to mention to the question poser:
- mpg
- hedge against rising oil costs
- significantly less power loss at altitude
- theoretically but not proven to be in JLU: improved towing (unfortunately power isn’t the JLU limiting factor), reliability of engine.

potential cons:
- if you can’t DEF delete then increased maintenance cost
- higher entry price point
- 80% overhauled yet unproven engine
- protection of DEF in off-road application (simply unproven)

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Correction...much more torque at low RPM.
Were you correcting me? It really is power. Power is torque times rotational speed (RPM). The more torque at low RPMs is what gives more power at low RPMs. So, true, the diesel has more torque at low RPM which results in more power....

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from my local dealer getting my order ready. They told me that the MPG numbers they got from FCA was 30mpg combined. That was my questions as I was walking out and didn’t follow up with city and highway. If that is true then that number is where I wanted to be. I can’t confirm the accuracy though since I haven’t seen MPGs posted anywhere else

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Well, maybe it comes in a gas can (hah). I sure hope they don't put gasoline in the diesel fuel tank.
Fortunately they’ve been used to sending export diesels off the line since the JK days lol

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were you correcting me? It really is power. Power is torque times rotational speed (RPM). The more torque at low RPMs is what gives more power at low RPMs. So, true, the diesel has more torque at low RPM which results in more power....
My comment was re wheel HP which is not more at low RPM in the diesel compared to the 2.0 at low RPM, despite the diesel making significantly more torque at low RPM.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got back from my local dealer getting my order ready. They told me that the MPG numbers they got from FCA was 30mpg combined. That was my questions as I was walking out and didn’t follow up with city and highway. If that is true then that number is where I wanted to be. I can’t confirm the accuracy though since I haven’t seen MPGs posted anywhere else
There are no EPA figures yet and the chances of seeing 30 combined are precisely zero. It might squeak out 30 on the highway but I wouldn’t expect to see more than about 25 combined.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The Cold Weather Group includes the remote start. You're paying for it twice with this build FYI.
That’s why it says $0 for the remote start

Edit: Doh, I should read the full thread first

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
The ban on tunes is highly concerning for me especially given then the unexpected curtailment of 480ftlb to 442. Still lots of go but who knows what the low end of the curve will truly look? Would be nice to have the tunes available. I can’t wait to get behind one of these for a test.
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/se...ohibits-performance-diesel-inc-selling-diesel

F
or diesel benefits don’t forget to mention to the question poser:
- mpg
- hedge against rising oil costs
- significantly less power loss at altitude
- theoretically but not proven to be in JLU: improved towing (unfortunately power isn’t the JLU limiting factor), reliability of engine.

potential cons:
- if you can’t DEF delete then increased maintenance cost
- higher entry price point
- 80% overhauled yet unproven engine
- protection of DEF in off-road application (simply unproven)
We have the 3.0 Ecodiesel in the WK2. About the same power specs as the gen 3 in the JL. It was a complete dog when we got it. With the EGR delete and GDE tune, it's a rocket. With all of the tuners being prevented from tuning, there is no way I'd go with the diesel. Everyone I know with the ecodiesel that didn't do a delete and tune started having major issues around 80k miles or so with the particulate filter and EGR. We deleted and tuned ours at around 15k so ours has been wonderful. My father in law (a nancy who won't break the law) gets about 17mpg in his now and it's a complete dog. We get about 34mpg and ours is fun as hell to drive.

Sponsored

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
In Europe we have the 2.2 Diesel with JL - sure just with auto trans

For me the only combination which makes sense. The 2.0 Turbo Petrol should be a digital car, especially with 35 or 37 tires. Either full throttle or none.
For the Diesel its much better, due to low down torque.

If you guys are so mad for Diesel engines, why nobody was importing the EU Diesel before the 3.0 was launched in US?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'll see how this Diesel is. My gut tells me it's going to be a train wreck and I don't see how so many people can order something blindly without test driving or waiting for more end user experiences. For starters, the DEF is disappointing. Those systems cost an arm and a leg to replace or fix. And some states will not allow you in their turf if you bypass it. The 2nd issue I have is the extra DEF tank etc underneath the jeep. Theres no room now under the jeep. These vehicles are just becoming way over bloated with Emissions and extra crap.

I'm really pulling for this diesel. I love diesels, but all my diesels have dated pre 07' when DEF was required across the board.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
If you guys are so mad for Diesel engines, why nobody was importing the EU Diesel before the 3.0 was launched in US?
We're not allowed. We can't import cars to the US that weren't sold here unless they're 25+ years old. The next big import craze here will be R34 Skylines.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Actually according to Jeep reps, the drivetrain fits fine, the reason they skipped two door is that once the def tank steals fuel tank space they thought the fuel tank would be too small on the two door and not sell.

IE the engineers lack the imagination to come up with a solution that doesn't eat into fuel tank space.
The European models, 2-door included have the 5 gal DEF tank behind the rear axle. While they use a different (smaller) engine, the DEF capacity is plenty.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I'll see how this Diesel is. My gut tells me it's going to be a train wreck and I don't see how so many people can order something blindly without test driving or waiting for more end user experiences. For starters, the DEF is disappointing. Those systems cost an arm and a leg to replace or fix. And some states will not allow you in their turf if you bypass it. The 2nd issue I have is the extra DEF tank etc underneath the jeep. Theres no room now under the jeep. These vehicles are just becoming way over bloated with Emissions and extra crap.

I'm really pulling for this diesel. I love diesels, but all my diesels have dated pre 07' when DEF was required across the board.
The problem is your thinking logical and applying common sense. Neither of those need apply in the new world we live in. Remember rich people and leasers have to have the newest widget they don’t care they want the newest most expensive thing whether it’s good or not, whether it works or not. If they don’t like it they just get the next great expensive widget. Also remember most are not buying their diesel wrangler as their only vehicle to drive. They have plenty of cars around to drive while they’re Jeep is in the shop. Saying you have a diesel is cool the hundred thousand dollar diesel crew cab pick up trucks running around never towing and never hauling anything should give you an indication of that. They sell them because they’re the most expensive model.
Sponsored