Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
Hot exhaust piping setting fire things underneath is nothing new and it can happen with other vehicles too. But Jeeps do go off-road more than others and when you do, just make sure you don't park on anything dry or flammable.

Out of curiosity, any idea if this would be covered by insurance if you pulled over and started a bush fire? I mean, just on the side of a public road (not even off-road)?

Given the law is not on our side when it comes to big wheels and lift kits and even if they were they're not a real solution, the first thing I'm going to look in to are aftermarket exhaust heat shields. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I would say this is covered, I mean there would be an investigation into it. But couldnt see why there would be an issue.

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Wouldn’t be too concerned about this happening in a Jeep Wrangler. I would however be a little worried in a Toyota Hilux / Prado / Fortuner with their DPF, but like you say be mindful where you park.

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
I would say this is covered, I mean there would be an investigation into it. But couldnt see why there would be an issue.
Does this mean we'd have to get bailed out? :D

Wouldn’t be too concerned about this happening in a Jeep Wrangler. I would however be a little worried in a Toyota Hilux / Prado / Fortuner with their DPF, but like you say be mindful where you park.
It happened to a JL in that video. Does the 2.2 diesel have a DPF? I haven't checked.

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
It happened to a JL in that video. Does the 2.2 diesel have a DPF? I haven't checked.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the Aussie spec JL 2.2 diesel has a DPF, if it does it'll be a better system than Toyota's. If you're insurer covers you off road, then they'll cover you in a grass fire, but you would have to be extremely unlucky for this to happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
Not sure if the Aussie spec JL 2.2 diesel has a DPF, if it does it'll be a better system than Toyota's. If you're insurer covers you off road, then they'll cover you in a grass fire, but you would have to be extremely unlucky for this to happen.
What if you only have onroad insurance and you pulled up by the side of the road or parked on the curb and this happened?

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
I gotta say I had a problem while offroading in my 3.6 jlu with leaves getting caught up between the crossmember & the exhaust bend up front. Luckily I smelt something burning, got out & cleared the smouldering leaves from the spot in question. It's definitely something worth keeping an eye & nose out for.
Sponsored