Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing out here man. Makes me wonder if it never came back from Mexico, like dismantling the systems made it start spoofing locations? Or maybe they are master hackers. Or maybe it got driven out just before I arrived. Or its here and I’m blind. OP, honk the horn again ;)

F99B9069-5C37-46E0-8BF6-941A6616E893.jpeg
Are those tire tracks or comb marks, I guess someone is truly combing the desert for that jeep

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Nothing out here man. Makes me wonder if it never came back from Mexico, like dismantling the systems made it start spoofing locations? Or maybe they are master hackers. Or maybe it got driven out just before I arrived. Or its here and I’m blind. OP, honk the horn again ;)

F99B9069-5C37-46E0-8BF6-941A6616E893.jpeg
maybe they yanked out the transponder and dumped it out there. Grak, can you drive around and search for a small black box approx 3"x2"x1" please livestream it if you can.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I like the remote horn idea.....it would annoy the thief. Funny too.

Also, will the renting app service be declaring your Jeep as a total loss? My guess is they will be reimbursing you.

Found this article, looks to be similar....but the vehicle was recovered in bad shape. Still the owner of the car was compensated.
https://www.travelcodex.com/my-car-was-stolen-while-renting-through-turo/

JPOutlaw

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL - The GOAT; 2012 JK - Junior
Good luck on the recovery efforts.

I wouldn't even consider using my JL as Uber or Lift..... cannot imagine renting it out to someone I know or don't know. Not worth it in my book but to each their own. Good luck.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Maybe you’ll get lucky and they’re just taking your Jeep off road for a while before they bring it back....but probably not.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

have you checked Doug DeMuro's channel? he uses Turo a lot. perhaps he's doing an updated review on the Rubi...

Found this article, looks to be similar....but the vehicle was recovered in bad shape. Still the owner of the car was compensated.
https://www.travelcodex.com/my-car-was-stolen-while-renting-through-turo/
read the many many comments below that article (great post btw). lots of people getting/have been screwed by Turo over damaged/stolen cars. yikes! cant say im really surprised though...

seems like a big risk. supposedly they make you wait 30 days to see if the vehicle is recovered. SOP for car insurance, ok. but if they find some loophole as to why they wont be covering it or only partially covering it.... you're going to have to sue them. and your car insurance carrier likely wont help since you're likely violating your policy by renting it out.

this just seems like a really risky idea imo. id also bet that Turo does not actively pursue the thieves. they just leave it to the insurance carrier (Liberty) who likely does the same thing. not worth the effort on their end. just pay and move on. this is like a gold mine to car thieves/scammers. just based on the link above it seems to be fairly common. someone will literally hand you the keys to their $100k vehicle and you can have a week to do as you please with it before anyone figures it out and does anything (if you request it for a week). all you need is some stolen CC info and phony id. drive it straight to the chop shop and no worries of being pulled over in a stolen vehicle. then Turo/insurance carrier finds out, oops, that person doesnt really exist. oh well. here's your check.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
I just find it strange, that you mention you are so attached and calling it your wife. But you allow strangers to take her? My old 2003 Xterra with 200K+ I was so attached too I would not let a stranger take her. My new JLU forget it, you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Read post 38 for reasonings why I rent my cars out....

And the moment the vehicle did not return from its reservation, a buddy and I booked it straight to the vehicle in Mexico but were unable to find it. We even had the Mexican police helping us with multiple patrol vehicles in San Luis Colorado, Mexico. But could not find it. The police had said that they had seen it though.

to those that have offered to find it or have even gone there (@GRAK ) I truly appreciate the kind gesture to a fellow forum member and hope to help if any of y’all need help.

just as a disclaimer, would not recommend going since we have two reported attempts to find it with no resolution. I guess at this point, it’s considered an insurance claim but I’ll forever be curious as to where it went.

the vehicle didn’t move much based on the most recent update performed.

448E7D4F-8F2D-4651-B5CA-5B0820ED0338.png

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Sorry to hear about your Jeep and hope you get some kind of resolution soon. I wouldn't rent out any of my vehicles but see nothing wrong if others choose to do so. I was curious what one makes renting their new Jeep out and was surprised it wasn't more...

upload_2019-10-8_18-28-24.png

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Bro I’m sorry, but if you have to rent your Jeep out to pay for it, you can’t afford it. That’s too risky an investment. That’s like buying a house you can’t afford and renting it out to pay for it. Tenants are awful.

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I would have a hard time letting a random person on an phone app drive my cars...if he/she messed something up I doubt that they would relay that information to me. And if the damage is under $2,000 - 4,000 who covers this?

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

the vehicle didn’t move much based on the most recent update performed.

448E7D4F-8F2D-4651-B5CA-5B0820ED0338.png
I think it’s a fake out. Maybe cops will track it down from a chopper tonight but I think thieves have figured out how to give a false location. I only just reupped XMGuardian too so would be very nice to know if this is what’s happening or not! How on earth?

I was on top of the earlier loc:

C4F7725D-5A07-4C58-98C0-1974F4908876.png

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I’m out here at the general location, best I could guess. Nothing but tire tracks. Sorry OP. They were doing donuts and stuff through the scattered brush. It’s pretty wide open here & flat - a drone would be perfect.. I’ll look around a little more but guess that’s all she wrote.

3C7B3D6C-0812-4B8C-9E52-4EB216D379A5.gif
Spaceballs! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::CWL::like: