Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport Unlimited JL
Finally got around to buying and installing the rack. Went with 1Up single and used Kuats Hi-Lo extender. Used the 7” extension hole and minted it facing down. With rack angled down the rear gate just clears and opens all the way.

Very happy. Will use it for the first time tomorrow.

Now I can report now with bike in the fit is perfect!
C307594F-8F68-40C9-8B43-8E1AE79FF703.jpeg

454754F0-A207-4701-807E-FBBAE9BE2D83.jpeg

View attachment 48686

4EEAEC80-35E3-4D06-A318-3F9BA9E7F773.jpeg

DA4ADDE0-B731-4EC3-8696-84845062C2F1.jpeg
did the Kuat extender fit snuggly in your hitch? My 1up extender is too loose in my hitch
Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
Hi All, Looking for help with an issue: I went to install my 1Up Rack and when I went to install my 1Up hitch extender into my hitch from Extreme Terrain, the second hole of the extender did not line up with my hitch's hole and I would have to use the first hole of the extender, causing the extender to stick out a bit from my hitch and definitely has a looser fit and wiggle room vs if it were fully inserted into my hitch. Is this safe to use with my rack? or would I need to find a better fitting extender for my hitch so that there is no movement between the two? Thanks!
It's not supposed to be loose. I have a 1Up hitch extender and it's tight, no wiggle at all. Maybe try giving 1Up a call.

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not supposed to be loose. I have a 1Up hitch extender and it's tight, no wiggle at all. Maybe try giving 1Up a call.
do the holes line up where you can push your extender all the way into your hitch? Mine do not and I have to pull it out and stick a pin in the first hole which is why it is very loose. I’ll give them a call and maybe co sided trying another extender like Kuat

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
do the holes line up where you can push your extender all the way into your hitch? Mine do not and I have to pull it out and stick a pin in the first hole which is why it is very loose. I’ll give them a call and maybe co sided trying another extender like Kuat
Are you sure you have the 1UpUSA hitch extender? Mine only has one hole in it, and a special bolt that goes through the pin hole and tightens it in place. It matches what is on 1UpUSA's website except without the lock since mine is older - https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-extender-2in/

It sounds like you have some kind of generic hitch extension with no wobble prevention.

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep it’s 1
Are you sure you have the 1UpUSA hitch extender? Mine only has one hole in it, and a special bolt that goes through the pin hole and tightens it in place. It matches what is on 1UpUSA's website except without the lock since mine is older - https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-extender-2in/

It sounds like you have some kind of generic hitch extension with no wobble prevention.
Yep it’s 1Up. I Got it with my rack, mine has 2 holes and the bolt and lock shown in the photo on their website. The second hole doesn’t line up and if I put the bolt in the first hole, the extender is only inserted about 2-3 inches into my hitch receiver and it just doesn’t seem safe, even if I used one of those hitch tightener plates to minimize the wobble

Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
Yep it’s 1

Yep it’s 1Up. I Got it with my rack, mine has 2 holes and the bolt and lock shown in the photo on their website. The second hole doesn’t line up and if I put the bolt in the first hole, the extender is only inserted about 2-3 inches into my hitch receiver and it just doesn’t seem safe, even if I used one of those hitch tightener plates to minimize the wobble
Tightening the bolt up is what holds the hitch extender in place and should make the extender solid in the hitch. A hitch tightener plate would not work properly with the 1Up hitch extender, and I think would defeat the 1Up anti-wobble design.

As far as I know 1Up has never made a hitch extender with more than 1 hole in it. Did you get it direct from 1Up or some other source? If you got it direct from 1Up, maybe something is wrong with it, and you should call 1Up. In my experience, 1 Up is outstanding when it comes to product support.

Perhaps you could post a picture of your hitch extender.

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
56E2BE3E-9BA4-44C7-9C7F-AFABDF416BC7.jpeg
3DAE4C49-62FB-4165-BC69-01E41393EDF9.jpeg
Tightening the bolt up is what holds the hitch extender in place and should make the extender solid in the hitch. A hitch tightener plate would not work properly with the 1Up hitch extender, and I think would defeat the 1Up anti-wobble design.

As far as I know 1Up has never made a hitch extender with more than 1 hole in it. Did you get it direct from 1Up or some other source? If you got it direct from 1Up, maybe something is wrong with it, and you should call 1Up. In my experience, 1 Up is outstanding when it comes to product support.

C31A0568-4E03-47C7-8C29-01C0F26D6463.jpeg

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3DAE4C49-62FB-4165-BC69-01E41393EDF9.jpeg

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here are some pictures. In order for me to be able to fit the bolt, I have to slide the extender out and use the back hole. I’ve never used an extender before so I assumed it should be able to slide all the way in. When I use the bolt in the back hole, there is a ton of up/down movement

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
Here are some pictures. In order for me to be able to fit the bolt, I have to slide the extender out and use the back hole. I’ve never used an extender before so I assumed it should be able to slide all the way in. When I use the bolt in the back hole, there is a ton of up/down movement
Perhaps 1Up changed their design. I would definitely give them a call. I'd be curious what they say.

My hitch extender doesn't slide all the way in, I'd say about 2/3 of the way in, but mine only has one hole in it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jmay225 when you tighten that bolt down there shouldn't be any play side to side and minimal play up and down
there is a ton of play up and down to the point where it seems unsafe. I can only put the bolt in the back hole, which allows the extender to be inserted only about 2 inches into my receiver

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
there is a ton of play up and down to the point where it seems unsafe. I can only put the bolt in the back hole, which allows the extender to be inserted only about 2 inches into my receiver
It's probably fine. And the extender is definitely inserted more than 2". The hole is 2.5" from the end of the receiver, and there's at least 0.5" of steel in front of that on your extender. That makes it at least 3" inserted.

Install the extender, install the rack, throw a bike on it, and report back how much it's moving up and down. I bet, not much. If you're concerned about it, get a plate style hitch stabilizer like I've got.

20191007_151116.jpg

Jmay225

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's probably fine. And the extender is definitely inserted more than 2". The hole is 2.5" from the end of the receiver, and there's at least 0.5" of steel in front of that on your extender. That makes it at least 3" inserted.

Install the extender, install the rack, throw a bike on it, and report back how much it's moving up and down. I bet, not much. If you're concerned about it, get a plate style hitch stabilizer like I've got.

20191007_151116.jpg
thanks for the info. There was a lot of movement and rattling with bike on which is why I was concerned. I spoke to 1up and they advised to use a washer or shim of some type.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Sad you have to provide pictures to prove what you’re saying is true. Good luck with getting it fixed.
Sponsored