Sponsored

Land Rover Defender off-road comparison video (vs Wrangler)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You still have to worry about clearance...but now, you also have to worry about a super hokey transfer shaft in that goofy IFS system they've cobbled together. Jesus...I know people hate non-bolt on parts...but the RIGHT way to do that is cut it all apart, build proper A arms to a modified frame and directly drive the spindle via a centered diff.
But how would I do that with a hammer and a flat-blade screwdriver?
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

SPOILER ALERT:

Just an old dude pissed they changed the Defender from what he once knew it to be.
I think you watched a different video than what was posted.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I seem to recall Jeep invested a significant amount of research into a new IFS system for the wrangler at one point that kept the differential at a constant hight/clearance no matter what the wheels were doing. It was turfed because of cost-cutting, and they feared no one would buy an IFS Wrangler.

https://www.allpar.com/SUVs/lil-blue.html

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I think you watched a different video than what was posted.
Really, you think so?

Here ya go buddy

SPOILER ALERT: Don’t care lol

it’s been discussed. A little late to the party champ.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Look at all this crap under the defender that'll get ripped off first time offload lol

Sponsored

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
How is this an off-road comparison. It's just some twat waffle sitting in his kitchen rambling on about crap.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I haven’t watched this video yet but I’ve watched Andrew for years. He’s been everywhere on earth you can drive. Although he’s not really into what we do I think. He’s generally pretty fair but a HUGE Land Rover fan boy. He’s gotten misty eyed talking about his classic a few times. He did a comparison with a Rubicon vs. a Defender Several years ago and it was heavily slanted towards the LR.
If I remember right he wouldn't use some of the Rubicon functions because the LR didn't have them, but them espoused about how much more room the LR had for overlanding than the Rubi. It was very skewed towards LR at that time, although in the latest video he does state that the Rubicon is the best off the showroom floor off roader built.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
A 26 minute video about a vehicle the guy hasn't even driven is kind of a waste of time. Might be worth watching once he gets an actual sample. Of course, the parts I watched were his celebration of its "traction control system" and his main focus of "overlanding"....so for his uses, it'll probably be fine.
Alternatively the people that actually drove the Defender did not make the extremely valid points he made

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Lets be honest. Jeeps aren't exactly known for their mechanical reliability if you look at these forums. That said I've owned 15 Jeeps that I've wheeled over the last 30 years or so and I've never had any sort of mechanical failure that was Jeeps fault. They have always been reliable for me. That said, I have had friends with Land Rovers and every SINGLE one of them have had major problems. I have winched and towed a Discovery for about 3 miles at one point due to mechanical problems. There is absolutely nothing that would ever get met to take a LR anywhere isolated and offroad. I've heard that they are pretty much the same, even now. No thanks. I'll keep my Jeep...or virtually anything else.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Meh....Not all reviewers are created equal.

Anyways, would you like me to do a review on the Ferrari F8 Tributo? I mean, I haven't driven one, but I can make some "extremely valid points" from the spec sheet. ;)
If you have a lot of expertise with super cars why not.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
LOL....b/c it wouldn't really be relevant if I hadn't driven it, regardless of how much exotics experience I may have; especially considering it's a completely new model, with very different features, capabilities and handling than the 488 it replaces. Same with the LR.
Not everyone need to drive a vehicle to have valid points, the only Wrangler I ever test drove before buying was the YJ, my first Wrangler, I didn't the TJ or the 2 JKs or even this JL I currently have.

Maybe you don't find any value in his opinion and that is fine, others find what he had to say interesting, and he did repeatedly state he did not test drive, millions of articles are done on vehicles that were never test driven, see the new Corvette and even the JL, among others.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
So you bought a JL, a TJ and 2 JKs and you never test drove any of them before purchase?

Just want to be sure I understood you correctly.
That's correct, last JL and last JK was purchased by email, JK went a few days before to sign paperwork, picked up a few days later. JL signed paperwork, paid and drove home same day, 9pm in the night. Like I said last Wrangler I ever test drove before purchasing was the YJ, was also the first vehicle I ever purchased.

The TJ, I had just paid a deposit on a 4Runner SR5 and was driving by a Jeep dealership, saw the Desert Sand TJ, stopped went in, it was an automatic, so they were gonna look for a manual, by that time I called Toyota and cancelled the SR5 deal, lost the deposit, but I got my money's worth out of the TJ.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
If I remember right he wouldn't use some of the Rubicon functions because the LR didn't have them, but them espoused about how much more room the LR had for overlanding than the Rubi. It was very skewed towards LR at that time, although in the latest video he does state that the Rubicon is the best off the showroom floor off roader built.
It was more skewed towards overlanding than towards LR, IIRC. I get it, different tools for the job, if you want to live out of your truck for weeks at a time, something with more space and more payload makes more sense. They're also spending significant stretches on road (paved or otherwise) and not placing a huge premium on rock crawling.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
It was more skewed towards overlanding than towards LR, IIRC. I get it, different tools for the job, if you want to live out of your truck for weeks at a time, something with more space and more payload makes more sense. They're also spending significant stretches on road (paved or otherwise) and not placing a huge premium on rock crawling.
After evaluating all options I have determined we will buy an expedition teardrop trailer that has a Roof Top Tent (RTT). This allows us the best of both worlds with minimal compromise. I can keep the Jeep lighter by not carrying overlanding equipment in it, leaving the Jeep ready for off roading and exploring after dropping the trailer at the campsite. By running an expedition trailer the weight being towed will be less and allow us to find more camping spots. I will also be able to tow the trailer off road to get to more remote camping areas. I will use the tear drop sleeping if weather is inclement and the RTT if the weather is nice. We can take our three younger kids and as they go away to college and move out, it will still support my wife and I.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Gotcha. But you drove each before you actually signed the final docs, right?
Nope. For the JL saw the LA reveal and said gotta get it, I have been driving a Wrangler since 1990, I don't need to test drive one before buying,

I went to test drive a JL after I bought mine, because mine made a weird noise, did that to see if the tester made the noise, it didn't, so I took it in for the dealer to look at the issue, happened to be some minor suspension tweaking was needed.
Sponsored