Sponsored

Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts of oil in your JL?

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
I've been reading all these comments about dealers overfilling the oil. So when I went in for my first oil change yesterday, I specifically said "be sure to only use 5 quarts" . He stated they always check after filling it up. I said "good to hear". When I got the Jeep back home (3 miles from dealer) I let it sit for an hour or so then checked the oil level. Sure enough, about an inch over the fill line. Checked the invoice: Oil NS7 Qty 6. I will never let the idiots at the dealership touch my Jeep. Does Jeep not care about training their mechanics? @JeepCares
Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I know this thread has been going awhile but thought I would share an experience from this weekend. We were out wheeling with a group, one of the guys in an 18 Rubi started leaking oil pretty bad. We noticed it all over the rocks on a couple of the obstacles. He mentioned he just got the oil changed a week ago at the dealer. We checked the oil as best we could on the trail and it looked to be overfilled. We are assuming he blew a seal due to overfill. He is headed back to dealer this week that did the oil change.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Funny , Been reading the Gladiator fourms , no such issues. It’s all 5 quart talk. manual says 5 quarts. Dealer puts in 5 quarts. Simple.
No previous Gladiator that took 6 quarts so no confusion at all.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Funny , Been reading the Gladiator fourms , no such issues. It’s all 5 quart talk. manual says 5 quarts. Dealer puts in 5 quarts. Simple.
No previous Gladiator that took 6 quarts so no confusion at all.
Kinda funny, but still a sad state for those that think taking it to the dealer means things will be done right :(
2019 JLs should have been in the clear since there weren't any JKs to muddy the water that year, but still seems to be a crapshoot 2+ years this has been going on. Do the dealerships & FCA communicate using smoke signals??

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I've been reading all these comments about dealers overfilling the oil. So when I went in for my first oil change yesterday, I specifically said "be sure to only use 5 quarts" . He stated they always check after filling it up. I said "good to hear". When I got the Jeep back home (3 miles from dealer) I let it sit for an hour or so then checked the oil level. Sure enough, about an inch over the fill line. Checked the invoice: Oil NS7 Qty 6. I will never let the idiots at the dealership touch my Jeep. Does Jeep not care about training their mechanics? @JeepCares
Not their techs, Tech should pull up the data on the vehichle which would show 5 qts but obvioulsy they are not. Only thing you could do is tell the service writer to make sure only 5 qts are used and insist he tell the lube monkey. Also check the invoice because they will want to get paid for 6 qts if they didnt bother to check. Fortunatly I know the techs at my local store and only have 2 work on my stuff and when I did the "free' changes made sure they only do 5 qts, they know it too since they give a damn and sell a lot of Wranglers. Normally I do all my own changes but will take advantage of the 4 free wave oil changes.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wouldn't worry too much about 6 vs 5 qts. Engine oil levels have quite a tolerance up and down from "...the perfect level". That's why you can drive up or down a 30-40 degree slope. In this thread, a failed rear main seal was attributed to a 1 qt overfill. A 1 qt. higher level would not and did not cause a rear main seal to fail. The rear main seal sees oil flooding out of the rear main bearing, all day, every day. A higher oil level won't change what it sees. In some conditions the engine may see a little more windage from the oil. That's certainly not cause for any urgency. The sky isn't falling. There are better things to worry about.

Last edited:
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Went to the Jeep dealer today for my 2nd oil change and this dealership overfilled my oil as well even after when I checked in and told them not to overfill like the last dealer. The story I was told is MOPAR has oil change kits for the wrangler that include 6qts of oil. Sounds like BS since the last dealership told me another story (that the tech didn’t look at the requirement). Very dissatisfied with My Jeep service experience since both times they also had issues with recall work. I may be regretting not getting a Toyota.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
It's November 2019. JL is two years in production. And guess, what happened to me today... :) I did V41 recall and asked the dealership to change the oil. I was in hurry so I did not check the oil at the dealership but after returning home. The oil level was about an inch above the upper level on the dipstick. I had to extract more then 1 quart of oil to get it back to the top level. It's interesting that my receipt says 5 qt of oil. So, the papers are O.K, but the reality can still be different.
I wonder why there are no issues every day because I would bet that more than 90% of Jeep owners do not check the oil. Maybe, there are no changes on the 3.6 V6 engine and it has the same oil capacity as for JK. Maybe, Jeep just decided to look more ecologic and use just 5 quarts of oil. So the top level on the dipstick is where the half level was on JK and using 6 qt is perfectly fine. @JeepCares

Last edited:

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Willy the Heep
It's November 2019. JL is two years in production. And guess, what happened to me today... :) I did V41 recall and asked the dealership to change the oil. I was in hurry so I did not check the oil at the dealership but after returning home. The oil level was about an inch above the upper level on the dipstick. I had to extract more then 1 quart of oil to get it back to the top level. It's interesting that my receipt says 5 qt of oil. So, the papers are O.K, but the reality can still be different.
I wonder why there are no issues every day because I would bet that more than 90% of Jeep owners do not check the oil. Maybe, there are no changes on the 3.6 V6 engine and it has the same oil capacity as for JK. Maybe, Jeep just decided to look more ecologic and use just 5 quarts of oil. So the top level on the dipstick is where the half level was on JK and using 6 qt is perfectly fine. @JeepCares
In the future I will do all of my own maintenance, however I bought a used one, so I had the Dealer change mine with Full Synthetic. I checked the receipt and it is 5 quarts. I checked the dipstick and sure enough it is onto the wire like yours. When I drain my it next time I am going to measure exactly how much comes out.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Be careful with Premier Chrysler in Buena Park! Picking up my Jeep for my 5000 oil change and the paperwork said 6 quarts so I told them I needed a quart drained out because it only takes 5.

So the service advisor brought out the tech supervisor and we went back and forth on how many quarts to put into the JL’s. He said he puts 6 quarts in all the new Jeeps. I told him the manual says it takes only 5 quarts and since I didn’t have the manual on me I would google it since we were kind of arguing about it and he made fun of me for believing everything Google says. Again I reminded him I got it straight from the manual.

He pulled out the dipstick to prove to me 6 quarts was the correct amount and it kept coming out overfilled so he did it two more times and we both looked at the dipstick and I kept showing him that it was overfilled while he made excuses why it was showing that way.

He told me he would get the tech to drain it and put in only 5 quarts if that would make me happy. He was being nicer at this point so I thanked him and am now sitting in the lobby waiting for my Jeep again. :(

What a stressful thing to go through everytime I want an oil change.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
One dealer billed me (Jeep Wave) for 6, but when I questioned it, he said it was "5.2 to get to the top of the fill line and they can't bill partial quarts". Checking the dipstick, it looked right.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not only should you check to see if just 5 quarts was used and not 6 ....... but....... well, read this.... This will make you shake your head... will cause you angst if the dealer does your oil changes..

-A Jeep tech that works in Florida, whom I am very friendly with, emailed me this morning.. He wanted to tell me about something that happened at his dealership last week..

He told me they caught an oil change guy at the dealership with a personal locker full of new , unused, Wrangler oil filters.

Apparently, the tech was doing Jeep Wave Oil Changes / Oil changes on Wrangler's and had not been changing the oil filters.... but rather, he was stealing / taking the new filters home and selling them on Craigslist, eBAY and such..

Anyway, they fired the 22 yo guy.

I do my own oil changes, but after hearing this story, were I having Jeep Wave or any oil change done at the dealer, I'd before hand, be pulling my old filter and scoring it's plastic with an awl and then putting it back in... THEN, after my oil change at the dealer, I'd be pulling the filter once again, to see if in fact a new, un-etched oil filter was in installed.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Not only should you check to see if just 5 quarts was used and not 6 ....... but....... well, read this.... This will make you shake your head... will cause you angst if the dealer does your oil changes..

-A Jeep tech that works in Florida, whom I am very friendly with, emailed me this morning.. He wanted to tell me about something that happened at his dealership last week..

He told me they caught an oil change guy at the dealership with a personal locker full of new , unused, Wrangler oil filters.

Apparently, the tech was doing Jeep Wave Oil Changes / Oil changes on Wrangler's and had not been changing the oil filters.... but rather, he was stealing / taking the new filters home and selling them on Craigslist, eBAY and such..

I do my own oil changes, but after hearing this story, were I having Jeep Wave or any oil change done at the dealer, I'd before hand, be pulling my old filter and scoring it's plastic with an awl and then putting it back in... THEN, after my oil change at the dealer, I'd be pulling the filter once again, to see if in fact a new, un-etched oil filter was in installed.
Or mark it indiscreetly to see if it was removed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Or mark it indiscreetly to see if it was removed.
@viper88

Guess you could say use a drop of white out on the oil filler cap and then a mark it matches and you could see if it is still lined up when you pick the Jeep up..... BUT, only way to really be sure is to etch the plastic / your mark, on the oil filter itself..

Best bet is don't bring your friggin JL to the dealer for the oil and filter change in the first place..

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I think the best idea someone posted earlier is if the dealer doesn't get their s&@t together and still puts in 6 quarts after you specifically requesting 5 and even printing off the manual and bringing it with you to show them) the proper procedure is to park in front of the main dealership entrance and drain a quart of oil on the sidewalk right there.
Or

so all of us should judge our dealers and techs based on an article?
Sponsored