Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So after driving some more in the "fixed" jeep I'm going to circle-back with my Jeep Wave rep and get it back in because it drives even worse. Not sure if it's the alignment that's off but the deadspot has moved more to the right and I have to make more even more adjustments than before to keep it straight...even with what appears to be a slight reduction in the "slop". Per recommendations I did look at the cotter pin and it appears to be straight with a perfect right angle which leads me to believe they have not torqued everything.

Question: without a new steering box, how much of an impact can a PCM flash/update make? Guessing it's hit or miss.
That’s a good question. My service advisor said a re-flash wasn’t needed. Nothing that they’ve done has helped and in fact, it drove much worse after the pitman arm replacement. I took it back after a day.

That said, the dealership is working with me and are not blowing off my concerns like too many others are experiencing. FCA needs to get its act together on this issue and communicate with the service managers. I know, dream on.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be willing to put in my own aftermarket drag link and adjustable LCAs to improve the drive *if* the dealer can get it driving properly. It is ridiculous to have to do that to an otherwise stock Jeep (mine isn’t lifted).

I want to give FCA another opportunity to get it right, but I’m close to the end of my rope.
sounds like it's your steering box. one thing to test the play in it is to turn the wheel with the Jeep not running. you can see the play in the parts throughout the steering system before the tires move. there will be 3/4" or so normal from what I have seen. you can do the same thing while it's running, but it's a little harder to tell where it has slop when the hydraulic assist is helping. I had my daughter turn the wheel while I took video and checked things out.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Question: without a new steering box, how much of an impact can a PCM flash/update make? Guessing it's hit or miss.
No impact on steering. Aside from an actual update, a PCM reflash is usually just a due diligence thing. Kind of like when your iPhone dies and the millennial tool at the Apple Store asks if you’ve made sure you’re on the latest OS. It never helps but, I mean, why not, right?

Sponsored

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
youre playing with loose bolts under your jeep. What prompted you to look?
That’s no the same guy that posted the video. He’s asking what was in the video because that YouTube account was deleted.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
The video is no longer available. Can you describe what you saw in the video that prompted your comment about the loose bolts?
I saw that video when it was posted. It looked like a joke - at least I hope it was a joke.

He went around to each nut and bolt on the front end, and they were all very loose - some to the extent that they could be wiggled in an out a half inch or so.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
The video showed the various front suspension components removed. He then showed how much movement the bolts had in the holes, basically showing that the bolt to hole tolerances were not very tight. In my opinion what he showed could lead to alignment variation and if the front axle took a bit hit on a pot hole the alignment could shift.

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead
Changed lift kits this weekend. found loose steering hardware from the factory. get your torque wrenches out.
while changing the drag link , once disconnected, I noticed that the when I pushed the pitman arm to different positions (Rotating the steering gear) side to side play came and went depending on the position in the pitman arm. dead center was tight, only a mm or 2 in either direction and the clicking (looseness) was present. I would estimate the slop was about 1mm, which would translate to more at the knuckles. I'll be visiting the dealer for that one!

$$

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
I'm taking my Jeep back for the 4th time.....really getting time consuming. Question for those of you that have done the "ride alongs". Does your tech drive or do they have you drive? My previous two were me driving but I know my Jeep drives like crap so going to ensure they do the driving this week. Thoughts?

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I had the tech drive on my 2nd service appointment. I watched him continually correct the steering on the highway and
then proceed to tell me "you have to constantly help it out it, that's how Jeeps drive." Total canned response and waste of time.

In park, I can turn the wheel between 8 o'clock & 4 o'clock without the tires moving.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I'm taking my Jeep back for the 4th time.....really getting time consuming. Question for those of you that have done the "ride alongs". Does your tech drive or do they have you drive? My previous two were me driving but I know my Jeep drives like crap so going to ensure they do the driving this week. Thoughts?
When I did the ride-along, I drove it with the shop foreman. He noticed the play and said he would like to drive it. Needless to say, I was happy to give him the opportunity.

I wish we had gone on a longer drive because a few miles on the freeway really show how bad it is. However, the short drive with a little bit on the freeway was still helpful.

His only comment was “It seems like something is there.”

We also drove a JLR off the lot and it was significantly better than mine.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I had the tech drive on my 2nd service appointment. I watched him continually correct the steering on the highway and
then proceed to tell me "you have to constantly help it out it, that's how Jeeps drive." Total canned response and waste of time.

In park, I can turn the wheel between 8 o'clock & 4 o'clock without the tires moving.
if it has that much play when parked, just look at a few others on the lot and compare them. a little movement seems normal, but should be closer to 3/4" to 1". many are even less than that.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I had to beg them to drive. They prefer to watch you drive for some reason.

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
I had to beg them to drive. They prefer to watch you drive for some reason.
This is going to be my approach on Thurs. I know it drives like crap...I want you to know it drives like crap.
Sponsored