Manual transmission popping out of 1st

rubiblu20

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2017 Sahara with manual transmission. For the past 6 months, without rhyme, reason, or predictability, when I take off from a complete stop, the shifter pops out of 1st gear. I took it in for service after it happened a few times only to be told that it would have to get to the point where I could recreate it for the service department to address the issue. I drive on some busy roads and travel through some busy intersections on a daily basis. I fear that I am driving "an accident waiting to happen." When leaving a stop light, most have the pedal to the floor around me. When the transmission kicks me out of first I try as quickly as possible to get it back into gear. The sound has become more violent and has even bruised my hand with the force it throws the gear shift. I have searched through this forum and can only find much older vehicles experiencing this issue. My vehicle is still under warranty and will possibly be traded in as I can no longer take the anxiety anymore and have placed an order for a Rubicon with an automatic transmission. I do not feel comfortable with trading in my current Jeep with this issue still unresolved.

Anyone else out there experiencing this type of issue and if so, how did you get any service department to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have a 2017 Sahara with manual transmission. For the past 6 months, without rhyme, reason, or predictability, when I take off from a complete stop, the shifter pops out of 1st gear. I took it in for service after it happened a few times only to be told that it would have to get to the point where I could recreate it for the service department to address the issue. I drive on some busy roads and travel through some busy intersections on a daily basis. I fear that I am driving "an accident waiting to happen." When leaving a stop light, most have the pedal to the floor around me. When the transmission kicks me out of first I try as quickly as possible to get it back into gear. The sound has become more violent and has even bruised my hand with the force it throws the gear shift. I have searched through this forum and can only find much older vehicles experiencing this issue. My vehicle is still under warranty and will possibly be traded in as I can no longer take the anxiety anymore and have placed an order for a Rubicon with an automatic transmission. I do not feel comfortable with trading in my current Jeep with this issue still unresolved.

Anyone else out there experiencing this type of issue and if so, how did you get any service department to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
You wrote 2017. Is that a typo? This is a JL forum, for which the first model year is 2018. Sounds like you have a JK. The JL has an all new manual transmission.

That said, forum member @DanW has a JK and a JL, both manual, and heā€™s written about issues he had with his JKā€™s transmission that sound similar to what youā€™ve described. Perhaps he can offer some advice.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had this happen on a 2006 Liberty.

Just on a side note, the Wrangler pedals tend to sit sort of high. I've seen instances of people hover their left foot over the clutch then not realize they may be slightly pushing it in. Not saying it's the issue but something to be aware of.

OP
OP
rubiblu20

rubiblu20

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You wrote 2017. Is that a typo? This is a JL forum, for which the first model year is 2018. Sounds like you have a JK. The JL has an all new manual transmission.

That said, forum member @DanW has a JK and a JL, both manual, and heā€™s written about issues he had with his JKā€™s transmission that sound similar to what youā€™ve described. Perhaps he can offer some advice.
Sorry, I am desperate for answers. It is a 2017 so it is a JK. Is there a different forum page? I will crosspost if need be. Thank you!

OP
OP
rubiblu20

rubiblu20

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this happen on a 2006 Liberty.

Just on a side note, the Wrangler pedals tend to sit sort of high. I've seen instances of people hover their left foot over the clutch then not realize they may be slightly pushing it in. Not saying it's the issue but something to be aware of.
In trying to recreate...I have tried foot on, and foot off pedal with no luck in recreation.

It was a real treat when the service tech informed me that I probably just didn't get it "into" gear. Since I probably graduated high school before this kid was born, it didn't sit well. But since I was willing to try anything...I tried to short the shift and that wasn't even an option.

Also another thing to note...it doesnt matter if I have been driving 5 minutes or 5 hours. And having driven manual vehicles since my first VW Golf in 1990. I know to looks for leaks when problems arise...no leaking here either.

One thing I found was referring to the synchro mechanism getting in the way of the operation, but it was either a very old post or was referring to an much older year.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
In trying to recreate...I have tried foot on, and foot off pedal with no luck in recreation.

It was a real treat when the service tech informed me that I probably just didn't get it "into" gear. Since I probably graduated high school before this kid was born, it didn't sit well. But since I was willing to try anything...I tried to short the shift and that wasn't even an option.

Also another thing to note...it doesnt matter if I have been driving 5 minutes or 5 hours. And having driven manual vehicles since my first VW Golf in 1990. I know to looks for leaks when problems arise...no leaking here either.

One thing I found was referring to the synchro mechanism getting in the way of the operation, but it was either a very old post or was referring to an much older year.
Seems to be a common known problem. Just did a search on youtube and found some videos. Seems like the problem is within the shifter assembly, not the synchros necessarily. Hopefully an easy fix. Maybe try removing the boot assembly as shown in the first video. I realize your JK has a different center console but maybe itā€™s experiencing the same problem with the inner boot?

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Yep, the old JK did this on two occasions. First, it was popping out of first gear, I'm guessing around 40k miles or so. It would pop out so hard it would slam into my hand, hurting my wrist. They dropped the transmission and replaced some parts with a very extensive repair. it did the job. Then, at around 100k, it started popping out of 3rd gear, this time much more gently, and only about once a month. If not under warranty, I wouldn't have worried about it. I took it in at 116k and they replaced the transmission with a factory (Jeep) reman NSG 370 with all the updates. The clutch was a little noisy with rattles at low rpm in 1st gear, but otherwise performed well. I went ahead and had them replace it since the transmission was already out, to save a little on labor. It has been perfect since.

These are well known and documented issues with the NSG 370. By 2017, they should have had them designed out, but you never know. My dealership, Westgate Jeep in Plainfield, IN, never questioned it. They never test drove it, to my knowledge. They took my word for it and fixed it each time, quickly and with no reassembly issues.

I'm a little surprised they are not taking OP's word for it. I'd recommend leaving it with them and telling the service rep or tech or manager to drive it home a couple nights or over a weekend.

OP, how often is it doing it?

The good news is that while it is a problem, I doubt it will leave you stranded. Mine ran both times for quite some time before I could have it addressed. As many issues as my first NSG gave me, it never left me stranded. I did have the slave cylinder croak, but was able to easily speed shift it with no clutch half way to Moab! That's a whole other story. It was a quick replacement for 300 bucks at a Kansas City Jeep dealership that happened to be open on a Saturday and happened to have a new slave cylinder.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
OP, if yours is like the Youtube video, then that would be good and looks like an easy fix. Both times for me, they were major repairs.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Thanks in advance!
Hi rubiblu20,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern. If you are able to replicate this for your dealer and you still need additional assistance, we are available through private message!
Laura
Jeep Cares
Sponsored