2019 JLUR, love the ride but want it higher

PaulG

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We have only had the Rubicon for a few weeks now. With only 150 miles on it we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon north rim. The on road ride and off road manners are exceptional. Comparing to our 2013 JKU with a full 2 1/2" lift and 33's, the Ruby sits low. It needs to be up a little, but I dont want to change the ride.

Looking at the Teraflex 1.5 in. Sport S/T1 kit that has spring spacers and bump stops. Anyone have pics of this kit on a Ruby with the stock wheel/tire and can report on how it is?

Jeeps (2).jpg
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is mine with the Teraflex 1.5 and 2” bump-stop extensions. The ride will be fantastic if you run with the stock wheels/tires. I went with E rated Ridge Grapplers and am battling to find the right PSI to stop the wandering. Other than that it drives great, no shake, shimmy or warbles of any kind. Just the normal dead spot in the steering box that most JL’s have. I do think it will look kind of funny with the stock 33’s though, just my opinion of course. My rig is kind of heavy with the steel bumper group and the RockSlide Engineering electric steps and I’m seriously considering a dealer installed Mopar 2” lift and swapping over to BFG Ko2 315/70/17 to get the stock rise back. I do all my own work and can’t even imagine the thought of having a dealer install a valve stem let alone a lift t kit but given all the steering issues these things tend to have I want to stay in warranty. Although that point is kind of moot because I will end up with adjustable LCA’s to match my adjustable track bar. The Teraflex is a 2” up front so it will shift the front axle at least a 1/2”. It would probably settle in time but my OCD can’t handle that so I fixed mine with a Teraflex adjustable track bar. The only issue I only driving issue I have is strictly because of my tires. I’m planning on swapping the stock wheels back on this weekend to confirm 100% it’s my tires causing the wandering.

F5CD275C-BB76-46E8-84F7-89E8520EEA25.jpeg

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here is mine with the Teraflex 1.5 and 2” bump-stop extensions. The ride will be fantastic if you run with the stock wheels/tires. I went with E rated Ridge Grapplers and am battling to find the right PSI to stop the wandering. Other than that it drives great, no shake, shimmy or warbles of any kind. Just the normal dead spot in the steering box that most JL’s have. I do think it will look kind of funny with the stock 33’s though, just my opinion of course. My rig is kind of heavy with the steel bumper group and the RockSlide Engineering electric steps and I’m seriously considering a dealer installed Mopar 2” lift and swapping over to BFG Ko2 315/70/17 to get the stock rise back. I do all my own work and can’t even imagine the thought of having a dealer install a valve stem let alone a lift t kit but given all the steering issues these things tend to have I want to stay in warranty. Although that point is kind of moot because I will end up with adjustable LCA’s to match my adjustable track bar. The Teraflex is a 2” up front so it will shift the front axle at least a 1/2”. It would probably settle in time but my OCD can’t handle that so I fixed mine with a Teraflex adjustable track bar. The only issue I only driving issue I have is strictly because of my tires. I’m planning on swapping the stock wheels back on this weekend to confirm 100% it’s my tires causing the wandering.

F5CD275C-BB76-46E8-84F7-89E8520EEA25.jpeg
IMHO, your wandering is more likely to be from your caster. If you went up 2” in the front and are using oem lcas you don’t have enough caster. I have those tires in a 37, and 30psi warmed up is the sweet spot for mine. If you get some adjustable lcas and dial your caster closer to 6 you’ll see a significant, if not complete, reduction in wandering. I’m running 6.5 degrees on 3.5” lift and my rig tracks straight as an arrow. It’s just a suggestion but if you’re planning on getting adj lcas anyway, why not get them now and try it, you may not have to get a different lift or tires. Your rig has a great look to it now, besides the cash it will save......Nice looking rig!.....:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulG

PaulG

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the info. So even the mild spacer lift is causing issues. I was afraid of that. They call it a 1 1/2" lift, but the the front uses a 2" spacer. I had similar problems with the JKU when I got it. It had a spring/shock lift but no geometry correction. I had to add front lower control arm drop brackets, track bar brackets front and rear, bump stops, and brake line drop brackets. Now it drives straight and really nice.

We do a lot of overland trips in the Jeep. When loaded with stuff it will drop an inch or so. My solution for now may be to just raise the rear an inch or so with spacers to carry the load until I am ready for a full lift and taller tires.

OP
OP
PaulG

PaulG

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There really is not one perfect kit that will lift a couple inches or less and have everything needed to correct the geometry. At least I have not found it. Spacers in the 2" range keep the stock springs and shocks and ride quality, but create handling issues. The caster is reduced creating poor steering control. The axles are not centered under the vehicle any longer which create cornering issues. Just bad manners on the road.

I am thinking to do this. Use the 1 1/2" spacer kit from Teraflex which comes with bump stops, purchase separately adjustable front lower control arms from Teraflex, adjustable front track bar from Teraflex, rear track bar bracket from Teraflex, longer sway bar end links, and shock extensions from RC. This will correct the caster, center the axles, extend the shocks and sway bars. Then if I add lift in the future I have adjustability.

Priced out the parts are around $1200.

What do you think?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
^^you can probably move the front sway bar links to the rear to save a few bucks

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the teraflex st1 spacer lift and fox ifp performance shocks.. I also did 35s .. the suspension is awesome with the better shocks ride is better than stock, I am but higher but still able to get in and out, and I am leveled out no factory rake.. the 35x tires do weight the car down a bit though, putting in a tazer to adjustment for bigger tires hoping that helps..

A92FF630-BAE5-402E-838B-AD574529DB92.jpeg

B873778E-0534-4B54-99CE-0AE0CCC780CC.jpeg

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
There really is not one perfect kit that will lift a couple inches or less and have everything needed to correct the geometry. At least I have not found it. Spacers in the 2" range keep the stock springs and shocks and ride quality, but create handling issues. The caster is reduced creating poor steering control. The axles are not centered under the vehicle any longer which create cornering issues. Just bad manners on the road.

I am thinking to do this. Use the 1 1/2" spacer kit from Teraflex which comes with bump stops, purchase separately adjustable front lower control arms from Teraflex, adjustable front track bar from Teraflex, rear track bar bracket from Teraflex, longer sway bar end links, and shock extensions from RC. This will correct the caster, center the axles, extend the shocks and sway bars. Then if I add lift in the future I have adjustability.

What do you think?
mid you buy the st1 lift and shocks from @River City Offroad using the forum discount code you will end up much lower like 800-900 ish because they have free shipping and no sales tax on top of the coupon.. I paid 500 to get it installed.. and I bought on Labor Day with an extra discount so I ended up spending like 1200 installed out the door for the st1 lift

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

What do you think?
The thing is for that price you can get a complete spring lift that is designed to work together and comes with new shocks that won't limit travel.
Sponsored