Sponsored

Lift is on (Question about steering and spare tire)

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
My drag link has not been touched.
Did your lift include a new front adjustable track bar or relocation bracket? If not, the front axle is probably shifted too far to the driver's side, which explains the drag link length discrepancy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdhunt0

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Did your lift include a new front adjustable track bar or relocation bracket? If not, the front axle is probably shifted too far to the driver's side, which explains the drag link length discrepancy.
It dude not include one. This is my thinking as well. I’m going to try to shorten it a quarter turn and see if it gets better or worse and go from there.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I made up my own mnemonic for adjusting drag link length.

As you're at the front of the vehicle facing the front axle, it's d/s which I use to mean driveshaft generally but here it's down shortens.

So, loosen the nut with a 15mm wrench and if you grab the adjusting collar and twist it down, down shortens. D/S....so I just remember "driveshaft"

Thus, up lengthens.

It won't work for everyone but make up your own mnemonic

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Yes, to put the steering wheel back to center, use a 15 mm wrench and loosen the collar on the drag ling and spin the collar until the steering wheel is centered.

Just make sure that the wheels are straight when this is done. It is easiest when you have someone sit in the drivers seat and tell you when the steering wheel is centered as you turn the collar.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also if working alone I leave the 15mm loose and test on a quiet street, get back out and make adjustments as necessary, only snugging the 15mm once I'm satisfied.

Some will say you're gonna kill a bus load of nuns but again, I do it on nice, quiet straight roads at lower speeds.

edit: try to find roads/streets with as little crown as possible. Hell a huge empty parking lot is probably better for this reason