Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

An interesting counterpoint from the owners manual (p53):

“The hard top is not designed to carry any additional loads such as roof racks, spare tires, building, hunting, or camp- ing supplies, and/or luggage, etc. Also, it was not designed as a structural member of the vehicle, and thus cannot properly carry any additional loads other than environmental (rain, snow, etc.).”

Which begs the question - Why does Mopar offer roof racks for the JL?

Regardless, I do plan on putting on a roof rack because there just is no room inside. But is a RTT pushing the envelope a bit?
Sponsored

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (2018), Honda Pilot Touring (2010), Ford C-Max SEL (2013)
I believe the racks and RTT is 138LB. The bars are rated for 220Lb. We put around 450LBs about static weight in total. Bars and roof had no issue. Also took it on 14-hour road trip. I just sold this Tepui RTT and putting up a newer model Tepui RTT this weekend. I will post with pictures. It's Tepui's low pro model that is much lighter, thinner with collapse, but stronger.
Thank you for your response, Lucy. I'm looking at this RTT (https://roofnest.com/product/2019-eagle/). I have a 2-Door so I'm still wondering where I'm going to put all the camping gears if there are three people going.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
An interesting counterpoint from the owners manual (p53):

“The hard top is not designed to carry any additional loads such as roof racks, spare tires, building, hunting, or camp- ing supplies, and/or luggage, etc. Also, it was not designed as a structural member of the vehicle, and thus cannot properly carry any additional loads other than environmental (rain, snow, etc.).”

Which begs the question - Why does Mopar offer roof racks for the JL?

Regardless, I do plan on putting on a roof rack because there just is no room inside. But is a RTT pushing the envelope a bit?
That's one of the first things I read in the owners manual and I was like WTF? Makes you wonder where people come up with the supposed fact that the hardtop has a load rating of 150 lbs or what have you.

That said, I too am looking at rack options. My wish is that EVO would make their rack for the 2 door. That really would be perfect for me. I don't plan on adding a RTT. I need the rack for space for gear. And, it would be easier to remove as needed. Plus it looks great. Problem is this is most likely never going to happen. It's not on their radar as far as production. Second option is holding out for the Rhinorack backbone system and pioneer rack. I just spoke with them the other day and they have no ETA on the 2 door version and suggested I check back mid summer.

I completely love the 2 door, but being left out to dry by manufacturers is getting a little old.

lucyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S 2Door & 1993 Jeep XJ
Thank you for your response, Lucy. I'm looking at this RTT (https://roofnest.com/product/2019-eagle/). I have a 2-Door so I'm still wondering where I'm going to put all the camping gears if there are three people going.
The Roofnest Eagle's are nice. That was my first hard top choice but decided to continue to stick with soft. $$$$$ I can use the money saved on outfitting my adventure rig.

Maybe try a tailgate or tow hitch basket for storage...

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I am waiting for the Maximus-3 roof rack. They are currently beta testing the 2-door version and have said that it should be available in a few months. They demonstrate it can carry a 900lb static load on the 4-door version, which would make me feel a whole lot better about a RTT going up there vs backbone or other options I've seen.

More here in case you hadn't seen it yet:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system.19844/

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I have Thule Wingbars Evo with 300R gutters. They're pretty clean but they do have a loud wind base sound with Thule snowboard racks with no snowboards going over 70mph. No issues with snowboards and Tepui RTT.

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
Looks fantastic! I know the roof rack spread is minimal on the 2-door. I'd be careful about attaching the rack to the freedom panels. These panels are likely the weak link to your roof rack system. Aerodynamic lifting forces can be quite high.

MNMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW 340iM, '17 4Runner limited, '19 Wrangler Sport S
Directly from Rhino Rack, these are NOT approved for 2 door JL Wranglers. I contacted Quadratec and unfortunately received a terse and inaccurate response but fortunately heard back directly from Rhino Rack before I bought them.

We have the Rhino Rack available for two door JL here. As well as the Mopar two door rack here.

-Alex
RR1.jpg

RR0.jpg

MNMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW 340iM, '17 4Runner limited, '19 Wrangler Sport S
Just purchased the Thule Rapid Gutter footpack and Aero 60" bars that are listed on a bunch of sites. I'm HOPING to get a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform to mount given the Thule bars have the T-track. This would be ideal as I've got a full 4Runner backbone and Pioneer Platform from Rhino Rack with lots of the ancillaries like jerry can holder, spare tire holder, awning etc and I'd be able to transfer them back and forth. I'll try to come back and post updates if I get that done.

Sponsored

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
I'm still looking for something external or internal for a soft top. JL.
50lb rating for my inflatible boat.
Don't need a 1500$ setup.
I'm just not seeing anything.

Any leads appreciated.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Directly from Rhino Rack, these are NOT approved for 2 door JL Wranglers. I contacted Quadratec and unfortunately received a terse and inaccurate response but fortunately heard back directly from Rhino Rack before I bought them.

RR1.jpg

RR0.jpg
Doesn’t surprise me - I’ve bought a couple of things from Quadratec, that they listed as fitting the JL, only to find they are for the JLU only. They deleted my feedback warning others on those parts but have since changed the listing. They didn’t think to reach out to me and put things right though - I would have thought that to be basic customer service.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion