Death wobble and tie rod issues

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
Hey all I have a 2018 JLUS lifted with a metalcloak 2.5 gamechanger (all control arms and track bars changed) I have recently been having some death wobble only at 48-51 mph intermittently. At first I thought my tires were out of balance so I had them checked, all were fine and wearing evenly (35” ko2) so last night I got under the front end and noticed that my tie rod has about 1/8 inch of play, both left right and up down. Tie rod is stock, and drag link has always had about 1/8 inch of play up and down, but no movement horizontally. My question is I have had death wobble before the tie rod had some play, and am concerned that changing the tie rod will not fix the issue. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Lift kit has about 4K miles on it, all bolts have been torqued recently and the jam nuts are tight, steering stabilizer recall has been done even though I know it has nothing to do with this. Thanks for your input. Oh and the death wobble was so bad, that the sway bar end links actually loosened themselves from the lateral movement of the suspension.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all I have a 2018 JLUS lifted with a metalcloak 2.5 gamechanger (all control arms and track bars changed) I have recently been having some death wobble only at 48-51 mph intermittently. At first I thought my tires were out of balance so I had them checked, all were fine and wearing evenly (35” ko2) so last night I got under the front end and noticed that my tie rod has about 1/8 inch of play, both left right and up down. Tie rod is stock, and drag link has always had about 1/8 inch of play up and down, but no movement horizontally. My question is I have had death wobble before the tie rod had some play, and am concerned that changing the tie rod will not fix the issue. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Lift kit has about 4K miles on it, all bolts have been torqued recently and the jam nuts are tight, steering stabilizer recall has been done even though I know it has nothing to do with this. Thanks for your input. Oh and the death wobble was so bad, that the sway bar end links actually loosened themselves from the lateral movement of the suspension.
Hey there neighbor!

This isn't the first I've read about up and down movement in the drag link. Some say its normal, only because theirs does the same, but mine only has the slightest firm rotation due to the nature of the ball and socket in the joint. I've got just under 14k on the odometer and am fully stock other than 35's.

Its my belief that the stock linkages in the steering are only adequate when all else is bone stock. Adding lift and larger diameter tires brings an increased amount of forces to play.

My 2" lift has been sitting in my dining room for over a month now. Some say its not enough lift to require control arms, track bars, or steering upgrades. To me, it makes more sense to upgrade everything that's being affected by the original change. On the steering end of things, I'm upgrading to the Yeti Steer Smarts tie rod, drag link, and front track bar. Since you're already needing a new tie rod, I would recommend upgrading to something beefier, rather than sticking with oem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. I'm also in suffolk, so I'll have to keep an eye out for your grill.

OP
OP
BleedBlue2k16

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
Hey there neighbor!

This isn't the first I've read about up and down movement in the drag link. Some say its normal, only because theirs does the same, but mine only has the slightest firm rotation due to the nature of the ball and socket in the joint. I've got just under 14k on the odometer and am fully stock other than 35's.

Its my belief that the stock linkages in the steering are only adequate when all else is bone stock. Adding lift and larger diameter tires brings an increased amount of forces to play.

My 2" lift has been sitting in my dining room for over a month now. Some say its not enough lift to require control arms, track bars, or steering upgrades. To me, it makes more sense to upgrade everything that's being affected by the original change. On the steering end of things, I'm upgrading to the Yeti Steer Smarts tie rod, drag link, and front track bar. Since you're already needing a new tie rod, I would recommend upgrading to something beefier, rather than sticking with oem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. I'm also in suffolk, so I'll have to keep an eye out for your grill.
thanks for the input. The grill is all white again but still has the insert behind it! I know I’m going to need a new track bar, but don’t know if that will fix the issue, or if the wear is from something else

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the input. The grill is all white again but still has the insert behind it! I know I’m going to need a new track bar, but don’t know if that will fix the issue, or if the wear is from something else
You meant that you need a new tie rod, not track bar, right? Didn't want to get the two confused.

My upgrading everything is just my attempt at being proactive and staying out ahead of the 8-ball. Just like how brake pads don't last as long against the added leverage of larger diameter tires, the same holds true for other associates wearable items. The taller and wider tires create more resistance to the steering linkages, thus shortening their lifespan. And that's just simply street driving. When off road those forces increase and compound, further dropping the lifespan.

You chose a very robust and higher quality lift which is now shedding light on the weakest link. I'll expand on my original recommendation and suggest a stronger tie rod and drag link to compliment everything else you've done so far.

OP
OP
BleedBlue2k16

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
You meant that you need a new tie rod, not track bar, right? Didn't want to get the two confused.

My upgrading everything is just my attempt at being proactive and staying out ahead of the 8-ball. Just like how brake pads don't last as long against the added leverage of larger diameter tires, the same holds true for other associates wearable items. The taller and wider tires create more resistance to the steering linkages, thus shortening their lifespan. And that's just simply street driving. When off road those forces increase and compound, further dropping the lifespan.

You chose a very robust and higher quality lift which is now shedding light on the weakest link. I'll expand on my original recommendation and suggest a stronger tie rod and drag link to compliment everything else you've done so far.
Thank you and yes, I meant tie rod, the track bar front and rear has been replaced with the metalcloak adjustable track bars

Sponsored

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue right now. I just installed the lift, nothing other than the lift was installed, never had DW until the lift was installed... everything is torqued... no idea.

Thank you and yes, I meant tie rod, the track bar front and rear has been replaced with the metalcloak adjustable track bars

OP
OP
BleedBlue2k16

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue right now. I just installed the lift, nothing other than the lift was installed, never had DW until the lift was installed... everything is torqued... no idea.
Yes I replaced my tie rod and drag link with yeti steer smarts products, no wobble and the steering is tighter than stock

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I hate to have to spend more but think this is the route i will most likely be going as well... strange that this seems to be affecting only some who have the game changer kit and not all...

Yes I replaced my tie rod and drag link with yeti steer smarts products, no wobble and the steering is tighter than stock
Sponsored