Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
After having the V41 (steering stabilizer) installed wrong after clearly explaining the right way to the service writer and having 6 quarts of oil added by another dealer, so I'm done with Jeep dealers. Now Jeep cares wants me to get the track bar replaced which I'm having done this week by my mechanic.

Done with totally incompetent and non caring Jeep dealers. They can't even get the basic things right!
This total indifference to the customers that keeps them in business is disgraceful.
Did the track bar help????
Sponsored

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a factory ordered 2019 JLUR built March 2019 and haven't had any issue with the steering. No loose spots or vibrations.
The only thing I notice was on the freeway driving and that was just had to keep making minor steering adjustment to keep straight on my lane. I had the same issue on my previous 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser which had slightly oversized tires.
Just last week had my dealer call when the parts were in to do the V41 steering damper recall. Drove it in and left it there and got a call back in 3 hours. It was done the right way (as explained in the photos on other posts). I drove it home and it drives MUCH better on the freeway. No more minor adjustment needed when driving down the freeway. I enjoy driving it a lot more now.:rock:
So, that's my story regarding the steering. After the steering damper was replaced, much nicer smoother ride.
I will look into replacing it with the Teraflex Falcon EF 2.2 later when they have them on sale, but for now I'm happy with the factory setup.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I'm sort of at a crossroads here. I've had my 2019 in 3 times for the steering issues and so far not fixed. Dealer installed AE steering box and new damper and I already had the newest factory track bar. Still not steering right with the dead spot and wandering still going on (a little better but not fixed). Any ideas what to do next? Do I adjust the steering box? Try the dealership again? Wait for Jeep to finally come up with a true fix? Contact JeepCares (doesn't seem like they do). I think I'm out of factory fixes at this point. Does anyone have anything they've done beyond what I've had done that may fix this? Grasping at straws.
Did they check torque on all steering and suspension components including drag link, sway bars, ball joint nuts, track bar, etc.? Many of us have found finger tight fasteners. And is the toe set to the max of the range? What caster number is it at?

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I think I poorly explained it.

It's more of the dead spot situation that we a majority of the post here.....

However, with the minor corrections being made over and over resulting in the corrections getting larger and larger until the wheel is whipping from side to side and the driver's is fighting it to keep the Jeep going strait. Flipping became a real concern on two separate occasions. Only had it for 3 days and just over 200 miles on it.

It all starts with the dead spot and trying to get the Jeep tracking strait.

I'm fearing the 25 mile drive to the dealer service center tomorrow morning.
I have read every post in this thread, some of them more than once, I can't say i recall seeing a similar complaint... I definitely hope your dealer can figure it out quickly, maybe @JeepCares can assist if you don't get a good response?

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
hey @spudf16, was your PCM flashed with latest software when the AE box was installed? it will be on your receipt if it was done. if not, it may be worth your time. I had an AE installed (and PCM flashed at the same time), even though I have a little less than 1" dead spot, I don't have any wandering or driver induced oscillation. the power steering seems to kick in more gently when I move the wheel through the dead spot. it's a definite improvement. I do think the steering problems are as much about the crappy software as the crappy hardware.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
hey @spudf16, was your PCM flashed with latest software when the AE box was installed? it will be on your receipt if it was done. if not, it may be worth your time. I had an AE installed (and PCM flashed at the same time), even though I have a little less than 1" dead spot, I don't have any wandering or driver induced oscillation. the power steering seems to kick in more gently when I move the wheel through the dead spot. it's a definite improvement. I do think the steering problems are as much about the crappy software as the crappy hardware.
I asked my dealer about flashing the PCM and they said that the steering box isn’t controlled by the computer. I got an old box anyways, and it didn’t make any difference at all.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So I picked up my wobble loose rubicon tonight, really took the magic out of my new dream ride... realizing you guys were not over reacting to the steering issues.. does anyone have clear simple directions on how to get this fixed?

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
HoundDude - Nope, the PCM wasn't flashed. I will see if JeepCares says anything before I head back in. Thanks!

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
This is why I’m not in a big hurry to get the process started. After a few instances of the AE box being the solution, a larger sample has proved that not to be the case. A full redesign and recall is the only solution.

The steering issue is a real danger. I want to start buying parts for my Jeep, but I’m not putting a dime into until the steering is resolved. I want a solution but the clock is ticking until I cut bait.

Something I noticed yesterday playing around the mountains. Going uphill or accelerating, the steering issue isn’t as bad. Going downhill and lifting off the throttle in a turn causes all kinds of skating. I’ve never driven a racecar, but my understanding is you brake before the turn and power through the turn to avoid oversteer. I found that’s the way to survive going down I70 in a JL but it’s shouldnt be this way.
Your toe is probable way off from the factory and these JL's need 2 deg more caster to track straight over 50 MPH. Jeep will adjust the toe, but do NOTHING to increase the caster.
First thing dealer tech did with mine was contact the Jeep Help Desk and they walked him through what they wanted. 1) Check ball joints and other steering components for proper torque. 2) Check toe (mine was way off). That was it, no more and then when the V41 recall was done they installed it the wrong way. Then after making my own changes I'm now able to drive my JLU around the Arizona mountains safely. I am not new to Jeeps either; 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ, 2017 JK.

Here is a link to previous post on my changes. ttps://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-284#post-843082

All I can say is good luck! Most dealers are not helpful, but hopefully by now they are getting a little more educated of the JL steering problems and will be a little more willing to help. Still, my bottom line was several change I had to make myself and now I'm happy.
Total shame on FCA for needing to do this on a new vehicle. As others have said FCA does not care because they are selling the crap out of these and the only ray of hope will probably come from pressure by the NHTSA.

Last edited:

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I love my Jeep but going on a drive more than a couple of hours just isn't going to happen. @JeepCares unfortunately the dealers are worthless. They are either turning a blind eye or they really don't have a clue because when you take it in they just seem clueless. When mentioning how can you not know about this problem it is all over the forums they say things like "forum people don't know what they are talking about". I tried fixing my several times to no avail. They have done a software upgrade, whatever they did who knows, and I got the trackbar recall. I left the Jeep stock to try and get all this resolved.

I got tired of the stock Jeep so I now added bigger tires and a full 2.5" lift kit. Now the dealer just says they can't do anything because the lift could cause those issues.

I am waiting in hopes that something major happens with either some of these federal investigations we are reading about or Jeep actually owns this and figures it out. I HATE the thought of spending $4K to get the aftermarket steering parts to actually fix the issue but that product seems to be the only thing with an absolute fix.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my Jeep but going on a drive more than a couple of hours just isn't going to happen. @JeepCares unfortunately the dealers are worthless. They are either turning a blind eye or they really don't have a clue because when you take it in they just seem clueless. When mentioning how can you not know about this problem it is all over the forums they say things like "forum people don't know what they are talking about". I tried fixing my several times to no avail. They have done a software upgrade, whatever they did who knows, and I got the trackbar recall. I left the Jeep stock to try and get all this resolved.

I got tired of the stock Jeep so I now added bigger tires and a full 2.5" lift kit. Now the dealer just says they can't do anything because the lift could cause those issues.

I am waiting in hopes that something major happens with either some of these federal investigations we are reading about or Jeep actually owns this and figures it out. I HATE the thought of spending $4K to get the aftermarket steering parts to actually fix the issue but that product seems to be the only thing with an absolute fix.
Did you increase caster to 7 and total toe to 0.34 ??? These are the two best things to do for wandering issues. Of course making sure the steering components are torqued correctly and the track bar was replaced. Gearbox replacement is a crapshoot if you will get a good one or not. Chinese variable tolerance crap.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Did you increase caster to 7 and total toe to 0.34 ??? These are the two best things to do for wandering issues. Of course making sure the steering components are torqued correctly and the track bar was replaced. Gearbox replacement is a crapshoot if you will get a good one or not. Chinese variable tolerance crap.
This will be next. I need to go to a “good” alignment place. Been busy but will try. With my lift I will have the ability to.

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
Sounds like I was lucky... I had the track bar and steering stabilizer replaced under the recall and it seems to have helped mine considerably. Now, it still isn't what I would call what it should be, but tolerable. To me, why can't the steering be totally spot on with no dead play? I am not asking for Porsche steering, but I think Toyota feel should be obtainable. I understand it is a Jeep and I LOVE the vehicle and have never received so many compliments, but for 60K sticker before my additional adds it should steer straight and have no play...

Currently, I am more worried about my frame issues, but that is a different subject.
Sponsored