This solved it for me

48AC6AD4-BC17-441A-917C-03F7AA3FE177.jpeg
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
So was it only a loose wire and bad door latch issue? Both of these lights came up two days ago. The only difference after 1.5 years of driving it was that I recently got an oil change a week before and I was stuck in traffic for approximately 4 hrs on the highway. They've been coming up ever since but do reset when you turn off the vehicle. Nothing different has changed when it comes to driving.

upload_2019-7-9_16-29-54.png

upload_2019-7-9_16-30-12.png
Just had the same thing happen to me. Moderate rain, stop and go traffic, hot humid day.

I have never taken my doors off.

I took pictures for the dealer as the codes reset when I stopped and restarted the engine.

I guess I will ask them to look at it when I go in for V41.

EDIT: I should also note that I have the basic Sport, so no electric windows, locks, or mirrors.

200629BA-89C3-469A-9AD0-85B89641BD69.jpeg

B865134D-8423-4E9C-91A0-0009E0B97587.jpeg

Last edited:

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Quite certain that’s it. Try to carefully bend the pins back and attach the connector. Hope that helps! I’m extra careful now when plugging that thing back in. Strange too it only happened to the driver side door.
Drivers side door harness pins bent = This is FROM THE FACTORY. Factory installer error. How do I know this? Because the exact same issue is present with mine and I've only removed the doors and never reinstalled the harness without looking at the pins (after seeing this post). So, it appears the Jeep assembly factory has someone hazardly throwing harnesses together.....otherwise this wouldn't happen. I'd advise everyone to check their harnesses....5 will get you 10 yours is the same way.

Joesue

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s
This is great info! My ESS stopped working but it was directly related to my temperature gauge being faulty. I think I have a jacked up sensor somewhere... as fan comes on and is really loud trying to cool the engine, but the engine is not hot. Mechanic believes it is either a software prob, or the sensor not reading and giving Engine controller the wrong info. Will find out soon! So glad you posted these steps! Thanks!
I had this problem too! My ESS light was on right after I picked up from dealer, then we started hearing the fan coming on, and being noisy. The dealer I took it to (not the one I purchased from) updated a flash or something like that. Hope this helps you!

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I had the same warning light come on last Friday, Bad Door Latch switch. Funny you'd think if the switch was bad the interior light would stay on or not turn on if it wasn't working correctly on that door.

Sponsored

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Ah ha! My ESS warning light began to come on this week. I've been driving my 19 JLU since December without a single instance of it turning on. Your comment makes me believe it has something to do with my doors. I removed the front doors the other day for the first time. I'll have to check my connectors out. Thanks for the clue!
"Darter02" ... What did you find out? My light started coming on immediately after the first time I took the doors off and put them back on. Thanks in advance.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
"Darter02" ... What did you find out? My light started coming on immediately after the first time I took the doors off and put them back on. Thanks in advance.
The Dealer told me it was a bad Door Latch Switch

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had multiple issues with these door wiring harnesses (usually involving the dome lights not coming on when opening the door), and it has been bent pins. I’m much more careful now when reconnecting them but after taking off the doors this weekend I’m getting the ESS error. Never had issues with ESS before. And people wonder why all the new fancy features of the JL annoy me. My previous two jeeps (a TJ and YJ) had no door harnesses, manual windows and locks, and of course I never had issues. I’d have ordered my Rubicon with manual windows and locks if I could have. The wiring harnesses should be designed to connect and disconnect without causing these issues; people are going to take their doors off all the time for years.

Edit: that’s exactly what it was... fixed the pins, ESS error went away completely. Guess I’m going to have to be extra careful when re-attaching my doors from now on.

Last edited:

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I actually drove most of the summer sans doors. I stopped getting warning lights. I put the doors on a few weeks ago. This past week I had one warning light and a notice that ESS wasn't available. Now, it happened as I was making a very distracted, not very smooth start from 2nd due to poor timing on my part at a red light that I hadn't "quite" stopped at before it turned green. I figured it was my fault as everything was happening at once. I barely stopped, the ESS light turned green and then I was engaging the gear...

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler sport 6spd
Ours is in for service currently for a bad driver door latch wiring connection. It was a fault up in the latch not the wiring connection. Noticed the same thing with ESS working great when the doors were off. Put the doors on, ESS failure message and it would not recognize if the door was opening (no dome light, radio would stay on after you would get in and out of the driver door, etc)

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I’ve had multiple issues with these door wiring harnesses (usually involving the dome lights not coming on when opening the door), and it has been bent pins. I’m much more careful now when reconnecting them but after taking off the doors this weekend I’m getting the ESS error. Never had issues with ESS before. And people wonder why all the new fancy features of the JL annoy me. My previous two jeeps (a TJ and YJ) had no door harnesses, manual windows and locks, and of course I never had issues. I’d have ordered my Rubicon with manual windows and locks if I could have. The wiring harnesses should be designed to connect and disconnect without causing these issues; people are going to take their doors off all the time for years.

Edit: that’s exactly what it was... fixed the pins, ESS error went away completely. Guess I’m going to have to be extra careful when re-attaching my doors from now on.
Even with manual windows and locks, there is still a wiring harness.

Kokis

First Name
Giorgos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
i have noticed that when i switch on the engine while the drivers door is open (and keep it open for a few minutes) then the ESS warning comes on. Close the door and then switch engine on...no ESS warning light!

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully for some of you, it’s as simple as a bent pin.
And that's what it was in my case. Thanks to your excellent post I was able to diagnose and fix the issue caused by my ham fisted efforts plugging the door harness back in, which resulted in bending a pin on the left side harness connector. Much obliged!
Sponsored