Sponsored

Hood Vents - JLU/JL Rubicon functional or only decorative?

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Here is how to make your JL Rubicon have functional hood vents.
Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I opened up the vents to let the heat out. Not particularly while driving but while slow moving or stopped.

I cut the vent in a way that the water will still drain as if there was no cutout, like from the factory. I drilled 3 1.75" holes in each vent directly under the solid portion of the top part of the vent. This will prevent rain from going directly down the drilled holes. I then 3-d printed small vent rings that sit higher in the vent to prevent drain water from going into the engine compartment.

The 6 1.75" holes equal about 12 square inches of vent area.

MVIMG_20190829_150705.jpg
MVIMG_20190913_213618.jpg
MVIMG_20190914_130227.jpg

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I would be surprised if engineers overlooked a hack to a hood vent for better thermo efficiency. You are 100% correct. The Gladiator has enlarged grill mesh for more efficient thermal efficiency. Here is a great article on how much work engineers do to get the max cooling capacity. It does not look like the engineers left anything on the table.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453
I was once told not to open up hood scoops in the hood as it would void the vacuum bubble it creates in the front upper part of the engine compartment while water fording which allows air into the air filter. Hence the reason why the stock air box is always place in the front part of a Jeep.
Though this has its limitations, a snorkel would solve this.

Also, looking at competitors and the new Land Rover Defender for example they make use of different air vents in the front sides of the bumper in front of the wheel for other cooling systems as air conditioning to free up the main engine radiator for its better ventilation/cooling.
Though most magazines only look at the front approach angle, we all know that being able to attack an obstacle directly with your front wheel without having much of a bumper structure or low wheel well in front of it is even more important.

Maybe the aftermarket can find some ingenious solutions? ;)

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I opened up the vents to let the heat out. Not particularly while driving but while slow moving or stopped.

I cut the vent in a way that the water will still drain as if there was no cutout, like from the factory. I drilled 3 1.75" holes in each vent directly under the solid portion of the top part of the vent. This will prevent rain from going directly down the drilled holes. I then 3-d printed small vent rings that sit higher in the vent to prevent drain water from going into the engine compartment.

Now that’s genius!!!! Way to go!
How are these screwed in?
Also sealed off with silicone I guess?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual

We found a new product for the market!

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
We found a new product for the market!
Good idea, I did a test the other day in stop and go traffic, I pulled up the off-road pages and it displayed a coolant temperature of just over 220 degrees. I had windows down and AC off about 91 degree temp. I then rolled up windows and turned the AC on and the very loud fan, in less than 5 minutes the coolant temp was 190 degrees. That is serious cooling and I don't worry about the engine getting to hot...

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here is how to make your JL Rubicon have functional hood vents.
Good idea, I did a test the other day in stop and go traffic, I pulled up the off-road pages and it displayed a coolant temperature of just over 220 degrees. I had windows down and AC off about 91 degree temp. I then rolled up windows and turned the AC on and the very loud fan, in less than 5 minutes the coolant temp was 190 degrees. That is serious cooling and I don't worry about the engine getting to hot...
Definitely need one (originally, thought it was the reply to the stock one with the grommets)

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Now that’s genius!!!! Way to go!
How are these screwed in?
Also sealed off with silicone I guess?
There are 2 screws that hold each vent in place.
Yes I used silicone to seal.

This is more to do with venting when stopped.
Kind of like when you roll down your Windows on a hot day.

3-d vents are available here. I also have some Jeep Keychains.

http://shpws.me/Rtm5

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are 2 screws that hold each vent in place.
Yes I used silicone to seal.

This is more to do with venting when stopped.
Kind of like when you roll down your Windows on a hot day.

3-d vents are available here. I also have some Jeep Keychains.

http://shpws.me/Rtm5
Glad you're selling them bro! Good luck!

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Since you make the vent rings, you should create a template for the holes to cut and install instructions and sell it as a "JL Rubicon Hood Vent Kit"
This is brilliant. To make the vents functional but yet still drain water and retain the hood liner is brilliant. This a great idea. You need to look at getting a patent, high production capability, and marketing. I'll be ordering the vent rings soon.

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Hi guys

I went after this project today -
Definitely use a sharp razor blade to trim out the under hood heat mat - the tin snipes sucked
I didn't have to take the under hood matting down, I left it right in place. Just gently push a hole up from the bottom and begin making the hole bigger so you can access the plastic clips for the vents. Once the vents are pushed up and out, simply put the hood down and cut the exact shape of the vents with a razor from the top.
Used a dremel to cut out the under side of the vents.
Many people here mentioned only cutting certain spots, so they wouldn't see under hood items, but I cut mine fully and don't see anything from the driver seat.
I used Scotch 3M tin tape to keep the heat mat from fraying.

IMG_0532 (1).jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540 (1).jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got a chance to install my hood vents. I decided to only use 2 instead of three per side just so I had some spare vent rings. Plastidipped my engine cover while I was at it.

thumbnail (9).jpg

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
To each their own, as long as it's not causing them any performance issues. However my uneducated opinion from over 10 years ago when I was into modifying sports cars. Huge debate back then whether "cool looking" fully vented hoods (completely open cut outs) decreased engine bay temperature or not. In short summary, it was determined that opening vents had marginal decrease in engine bay temperatures at idle/stop. However negative effects due to airflow disruption when cars were moving.
Sponsored