Sponsored

Major Fuel Tank/Gas Tank Leak. Advice and input from the community would be appreciated.

SoCal_JPr

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

So I walked out to my 2019 JLUR on Tuesday morning. it was parked in front of my garage and I could smell a pretty strong smell of gas. My neighbor has an old scooter that sometimes smells like gas, so I thought, no big deal and got into my Jeep.

When i turned on the ignition I saw that my fuel gauge was empty. I knew that I'd had over half a tank when I parked it the night before. So I immediately turned off the Jeep and walked away. It was still dark at this time, but the sun was rising and I could see more and more clearly that the ground showed signs of a fuel leak.

I called Jeep's roadside assistance and they agreed to come pickup the vehicle and tow it to a nearby dealer. After about two hours they arrived. As the tow driver was loading the Jeep onto the flatbed more fuel started to pour out. Enough that he and I were both concerned about the safety of the operation.

I'm just so happy I didn't have it parked in my garage, I wonder if the water heater could've set off the fumes. Or worse yet, I started it up with my kids strapped in. I'm not sure how dangerous it really was, but it definitely seems serious.

I've reached out to Jeep Cares, and they've given me a case worker. They said they'd call back, but it's been two days without a call.

The dealer says they've never seen anything like it, and the new parts won't be available until December 4th to have it fixed! Meaning I'll go nearly 70 days without a car! They offered a rental car, but for only 10 days. I drive for work and can't afford to rent something for two months. So my questions are this:

1. What they hell should I do?
2. Does the warranty cover a rental car for this duration of time typically?
3. Besides Jeep Cares is there anyone else I should reach out to?
4. Car was purchased through Peterson in Idaho (they were awesome). I think this almost qualifies for lemon
status in Idaho. Should I maybe pursue that course of action?

Also, I've (embarrassingly) not off-roaded her yet, so she's led a pampered existence so far. No accidents, no dirt. The dealer did not give me any specific information about what exactly is wrong, only that the parts won't be available until December 4th.

There are so many experts here and I've learned so much over the years reading your posts, I'd really appreciate any input or guidance you can offer.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
1. What the hell should I do?
-Let Jeep fix the issue.

-Loaner or rental, nothing should come out of your pocket. 10 days might be the max per session, so you might need multiple sessions?

-Try calling them again or talk to the dealer about a loaner. Worse comes to worse speak with an attorney.

4. Car was purchased through Peterson in Idaho (they were awesome). I think this almost qualifies for lemon
-Not sure about CA lemon laws.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hi everyone,
So I walked out to my 2019 JLUR on Tuesday morning. it was parked in front of my garage and I could smell a pretty strong smell of gas. My neighbor has an old scooter that sometimes smells like gas, so I thought, no big deal and got into my Jeep.

When i turned on the ignition I saw that my fuel gauge was empty. I knew that I'd had over half a tank when I parked it the night before. So I immediately turned off the Jeep and walked away. It was still dark at this time, but the sun was rising and I could see more and more clearly that the ground showed signs of a fuel leak.

I called Jeep's roadside assistance and they agreed to come pickup the vehicle and tow it to a nearby dealer. After about two hours they arrived. As the tow driver was loading the Jeep onto the flatbed more fuel started to pour out. Enough that he and I were both concerned about the safety of the operation.

I'm just so happy I didn't have it parked in my garage, I wonder if the water heater could've set off the fumes. Or worse yet, I started it up with my kids strapped in. I'm not sure how dangerous it really was, but it definitely seems serious.

I've reached out to Jeep Cares, and they've given me a case worker. They said they'd call back, but it's been two days without a call.

The dealer says they've never seen anything like it, and the new parts won't be available until December 4th to have it fixed! Meaning I'll go nearly 70 days without a car!
Push for a loaner through your local dealership, forget about Jeep Care on this matter, be persistent, escalate the case, if denied ask to talk to a manager, and his manager and so forth, until you reach through to someone who will agree to your terms. My Jeep broke down and was in the shop for almost a month and this was the route I had to take to get a loaner, it eventually worked! I asked for a rental and they gave me a loaner instead.

OP
OP

SoCal_JPr

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Push for a loaner through your local dealership, forget about Jeep Care on this matter, be persistent, escalate the case, if denied ask to talk to a manager, and his manager and so forth, until you reach through to someone who will agree to your terms. My Jeep broke down and was in the shop for almost a month and this was the route I had to take to get a loaner, it eventually worked! I asked for a rental and they gave me a loaner instead.
Awesome advice, thank you. What broke down on yours, and was it fixed up alright?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why was it leaking fuel ? Manufacturing defect, loose clamps, foreign object damage, as in someone trying to steal fuel, punctured tank ??

Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Had an issue with my Cherokee KL that had 3,000 miles.... Dealer put me into one of their used cars (Chrysler 200) with a dealer tag, and used it for approximately one month...
Paid my car payment for the month also...
I'm sure you could have JEEP get something done for you...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
70 days? OK. Loaner for that entire duration and you make the payments for the months I don’t have it. Otherwise, my attorney will contact you, shortly.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Hi everyone,

The dealer says they've never seen anything like it, and the new parts won't be available until December 4th to have it fixed! Meaning I'll go nearly 70 days without a car! They offered a rental car, but for only 10 days. I drive for work and can't afford to rent something for two months. So my questions are this:

Also, I've (embarrassingly) not off-roaded her yet, so she's led a pampered existence so far. No accidents, no dirt. The dealer did not give me any specific information about what exactly is wrong, only that the parts won't be available until December 4th.

There are so many experts here and I've learned so much over the years reading your posts, I'd really appreciate any input or guidance you can offer.
I don’t know how dangerous it would have been had you been driving around with such a large leak.

There have been other reports of similar problem on this forum. The tow truck incident was reported by another member. More fuel leaked out when inclined.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fuel-leak-after-3k-miles.11104/

Regarding lemon, you’ll have to check with your state laws. Usually it’s after multiple failed attempts to repair or if the vehicle is undrivable for a certain amount of time. If they can’t repair it within 30 days, it may qualify for a lemon.

One thing I would do is report your problem to the NHTSA. Jeep obviously has some issues with the fuel tanks as other members have reported on this forum. It’s important NHTSA hears about all of them.

Here’s the link.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Last edited:

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
If the parts are back ordered until December, that is probably an indication that they had to stop production of the part because of a problem, re-engineer it and get it back into production again. And I am sure that new parts would have priority going to the assembly line. I am just making this up in my head, but working in the marine industry, I have seen it before. Jeep Cares is a Joke. One time, I asked them straight out, "So, basically, your ONLY REAL FUNCTION IN LIFE IS TO TELL PEOPLE TO GO BACK TO THE DEALER?" Answer: "Yes." In your favor, a massive fuel leak that drains an entire tank of gas on the ground is maybe the only kind of problem that FCA might actually choose to address. Maybe. And, as you can see, they will fix it when they damn well get around to it, too. Get out now, my friend. Run, run for your life from FCA while you have a chance. Go the lemon law!

Reactions: rvb

Recalcitrant

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
1. What the hell should I do?
-Let Jeep fix the issue.

-Loaner or rental, nothing should come out of your pocket. 10 days might be the max per session, so you might need multiple sessions?

-Try calling them again or talk to the dealer about a loaner. Worse comes to worse speak with an attorney.

-Not sure about CA lemon laws.

Sponsored

Recalcitrant

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport

Hi everyone,

Recalcitrant

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
I am presently enduring exactly the same leaking fuel issue you posted on a 2018 JL. I was refilling the tank halfway after assuming a siphon theft during the night...flooded gas station ground. Raced off to empty gravel parking lot. Stuck ink pen in about 1/4 inch hole in middle of tank bottom. Managed to get to dealer before fuel ran out (barely). Service tech [sic] squinted underneath and told me someone had drilled a hole in my tank and told me to turn in a claim to my insurance. Gave me loaner thankfully. Ordered new tank 2 weeks out. I'm hit with $500 deductible and probably raised rate while Karmart Auto Group in Burlington, WA. profits by ignoring a warranty issue and selling parts and labor. What the heck should I do? The most humiliating part is that they think I'm so naive. Vehicle is also nearly impossible to steer safely. Smells like lemon. Any response appreciated.

Legan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

Hi everyone,

What was the cause of fuel leak? I believe I have same issue and suspect fuel return line.
Sponsored