Sponsored

Anyone use the Red Rock HD Tailgate Mounted Tire Carrier?

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
I just put 35" tires and 20" wheels on my 2020JL and the rear backup sensor keeps going off. I know the tire needs to be lifted but will the Red Rock HD Tailgate Tire Carrier lift it high enough to stop the beeping?
Sponsored

OP
OP

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need the relocation bracket.. Also I have the same size tires and if they are heavy like mine 100lbs you need to reinforce the gate as mine is squeaking..

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...spare-tire-relocation-bracket-j130928-jl.html
You need the relocation bracket.. Also I have the same size tires and if they are heavy like mine 100lbs you need to reinforce the gate as mine is squeaking..

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...spare-tire-relocation-bracket-j130928-jl.html

Thanks for the reply. I was also going to add the RedRock HD tailgate reinforcement panel. I chatted with someone to ask the difference between the relocation bracket and the tire carrier and they said that the tire carrier holds greater than a 33" tire and the relocation bracket is for tires less than 33". That is why I was thinking the tire carrier. I wish the postings had a little more detail.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. I was also going to add the RedRock HD tailgate reinforcement panel. I chatted with someone to ask the difference between the relocation bracket and the tire carrier and they said that the tire carrier holds greater than a 33" tire and the relocation bracket is for tires less than 33". That is why I was thinking the tire carrier. I wish the postings had a little more detail.
When people have issues with the tailgate sagging under weight, is it not the hinge that's the problem?
This style of reinforcement doesn't really make sense to me. It seems like you need to replace the hinges if you're worried about the the tailgate not handling the weight.

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
When people have issues with the tailgate sagging under weight, is it not the hinge that's the problem?
This style of reinforcement doesn't really make sense to me. It seems like you need to replace the hinges if you're worried about the the tailgate not handling the weight.
in my case the hinges are fine.. I could see the gate flex if I wiggle the tire..

Sponsored

OP
OP

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in my case the hinges are fine.. I can see the gate flex if I wiggle the tire..
in my case the hinges are fine.. I could see the gate flex if I wiggle the tire..
What spare tire bracket are you using and do you have issues with your backup sensors beeping?

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
What spare tire bracket are you using and do you have issues with your backup sensors beeping?
Mine did beep.. I installed the RC relocator bracket and knock off Mopar gate re-enforcement bracket from amazon. Not spending 600 when you get the same thing for 240

OP
OP

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine did beep.. I installed the RC relocator bracket and knock off Mopar gate re-enforcement bracket from amazon. Not spending 600 when you get the same thing for 240

You said you have the same size tire. How is the visibility out the back window with the RC bracket being up 4.5"? I assume you are using the OEM tire carrier with it?

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
You said you have the same size tire. How is the visibility out the back window with the RC bracket being up 4.5"? I assume you are using the OEM tire carrier with it?
Yes I am.. Even before I raised it seeing out the back was not great with the big tire so it doesn't bother me.. but between the tire and third brake like it's crowded back there! lol Rusty's make one that only raises 3" not sure if that is high enough to clear the sensor if you want a different option.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...pare-tire-relocation-bracket-jl-wrangler.html

OP
OP

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I am.. Even before I raised it seeing out the back was not great with the big tire so it doesn't bother me.. but between the tire and third brake like it's crowded back there! lol Rusty's make one that only raises 3" not sure if that is high enough to clear the sensor if you want a different option.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...pare-tire-relocation-bracket-jl-wrangler.html
I will look at that one too. Thanks. Originally I was looking at the Red Rock bracket but can’t get any confirmation that raising 1.5” will solve the backup sensors beeping. I’m looking at the Teraflex only because it appears to have options and if the lowest one doesn’t work, I can move it up.

Sponsored

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I will look at that one too. Thanks. Originally I was looking at the Red Rock bracket but can’t get any confirmation that raising 1.5” will solve the backup sensors beeping. I’m looking at the Teraflex only because it appears to have options and if the lowest one doesn’t work, I can move it up.
I know there are others that are adjustable.. I doubt 1.5” will be enough

OP
OP

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there are others that are adjustable.. I doubt 1.5” will be enough
Thanks for all of your help! I will post again when fixed to let you know how it goes!

OP
OP

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow Up - I used the Red Rock 4X4 HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel and the TeraFlex JL Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit. The tire is mounted on the third set of holes raising it as high as possible. THE REAR BACKUP SENSORS DO NOT GO OFF ANY MORE! The TeraFlex Mount raises it enough to keep the backup sensor from picking it up and beeping when in reverse. The tire mount allows for adjustment so that the tire is flush with the provided tire bumpers that come on the vehicle no matter what size tire. I wasn't sure how the view would be out the back with the 20" wheel and 35" tire but it is perfectly fine. With the third tail light relocated to the center of the tire, it is not in the rear view line of sight and that helps too. The only thing that we haven't completely eliminated is the minor view of the tire in the rear view camera. It does not bother me at all but with a smaller tire or different wheel type it may not be an issue for anyone else. I have attached photos for anyone that needs more specifics. There were so many options to choose from and I'm thrilled we chose the ones that stopped the backup sensor noise!

Jeep Rear Camera View.jpg

Jeep Spare Tire and Tailgate Reinforcement Side View.jpg

Jeep Spare Tire Side View.jpg

Jeep Spare Tire.jpg

Jeep Tailgate Reinforcement Panel.jpg

Jeep Teraflex Tire Carrier.jpg
Sponsored