Leather smell overwhelming

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is my first Jeep with leather. The scent is really overwhelming. Almost synthetic. I have owned/own BMW,Mercedes,Porsche, GMC, etc. Never have I experienced a scent so strong. Anybody else? When will it subside?
Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I've owned all kinds of vehicles with leather, and also have leather home furniture - and it seems like none smell quite the same. That being said, I wonder if like most Ram pickups, if in reality only the Jeep front seats are leather, with the rear seats being vinyl that looks and feel like new leather?

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I don’t have leather, but when my JL was brand spanking new I felt the new car smell was much stronger than the JK I had.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
Nothing smells as good as a king ranch or longhorn Laramie. You haven’t smelled leather seats until you smell those. Wish the Jeep had that.
The Rubi we have has leather and it wasn’t too bad, my sport smells more so without the leather.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Mine is/wasn't overwhelming. Maybe the dealer put some type of cleaner on it? Take a damp rag and wipe down all leather surfaces and let it breathe with windows down, top off, etc.

Sponsored

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
This is my first Jeep with leather. The scent is really overwhelming. Almost synthetic. I have owned/own BMW,Mercedes,Porsche, GMC, etc. Never have I experienced a scent so strong. Anybody else? When will it subside?
New car smell is from the chemicals used to soften plastic (plasticizer) off gassing into the vehicle. The smell in my Jeep was so strong when new I could literally taste it. I often drove with the top open and/or windows down or at least cracked when I first got it. If you do that and park it in the garage with the windows down a little it will go away quicker. Mine is a couple of months old and it’s fine now.

OP
OP
Gellie

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
New car smell is from the chemicals used to soften plastic (plasticizer) off gassing into the vehicle. The smell in my Jeep was so strong when new I could literally taste it. I often drove with the top open and/or windows down or at least cracked when I first got it. If you do that and park it in the garage with the windows down a little it will go away quicker. Mine is a couple of months old and it’s fine now.
Yea i have been dong the same. Only a week into it though
Sponsored