Sponsored

Am I crazy trading in a Challenger Scat Pack for a Wrangler?

IceAge

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The new JLs are super nice and just can’t see a Challenger being practical for your daily driving. It’s a no brainer time to move on and their will always be sunnier days to eventually get a Challenger again. And I’m a huge MOPAR fan owner of all the brands so I can honestly say the Jeep is the answer. And here’s some of mine:
97AEBEE1-DB58-4C37-845B-7D3432F32E5E.jpeg
Sponsored

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I went from a Mustang GT to a 2 door Rubicon last month and have been loving every minute of it.

The speed difference between the Wrangler and your Challenger won’t be that big anyway

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The new JLs are super nice and just can’t see a Challenger being practical for your daily driving. It’s a no brainer time to move on and their will always be sunnier days to eventually get a Challenger again. And I’m a huge MOPAR fan owner of all the brands so I can honestly say the Jeep is the answer. And here’s some of mine:
Man that Challenger is gorgeous :rock:

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
To make a long story short I was between getting a Wrangler and Challenger early this year. I ultimately went with the Challenger. My wife and I unexpectedly switched jobs recently and now we find ourselves living in the VERY hilly / damp / slick Pacific Northwest. In a nutshell, my Challenger is all over the place at times when the roads are damp, and it's been stuck on two hills it simply can't go up... the RWD and massive torque is awesome but is causing issues. I've been looking at various wheel / tire setups recently to help my situation, but ended up poking around looking at 4WD Wranglers again. I've got a reasonably good trade worked out by since I'm the son of an FCA worker and get employee pricing, and the Wrangler is pretty much the exact setup I want. I just think it's a perfect vehicle for all the outdoor splendor and challenges the terrain presents around here. Am I crazy to trade in my Challenger? I realize that this is a pretty biased crowd, but I'm curious about any "balanced" feedback I can get. Thanks for your time and help!
A Wrangler won’t really help you with damp hills since it’s 2WD and open differential for most of the time on the majority of them. I haven’t heard of many people moving the transfer case lever into 4HI for driving in light rain.

My advice is to get more appropriate tires for your Challenger. High performance summer tires and cold and wet weather don’t mix well. Or buy a Subaru like everyone else in the Northwest.

Reactions: VNT

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Keep the Scat Pack & get a Wrangler.. Problem solved! Even if you have to look at the 18's. Best of both worlds.
When my 2020 comes in I have to say goodbye to my Allroad . I simply cant afford to keep them both ! Im sure thats the case with many people struggling over trading in cars that they love. The mystical Wrangler attraction can make you do crazy things.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Octane Red. My fav. Pics like this don’t help me resist the temptation to add one to the stable.

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Been in your shoes, get rid of supercharged road beast for a mild mannered "grocery getter". Welp the wrangler opens up a whole other world that your pavement princess road beast will never let you have access too. No longer will you have to wonder, "why are all those jeeps there? Where are they going? What are they going to see/experience?" And yet you can still go to the coffee and krawlers meet and greets in your wrangler. Instead of standing around in some parking lot with your hood up admiring each others detailing you can now admire fellow jeepers mud and mods. Also, the stories are much better from jeepers then they are fm pavement pounding princesses just be leary of any story that starts out with either, "there I was or, ya should have been there".

Anyways, you will miss the power at first but once you turn down that dirt road/path you will forget all about that horsepower/torque fm the cubic inches. And if you really miss all that power and torque, ya can always put a hemi in the wrangler, then you will have the best of both worlds.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
My advice is to get more appropriate tires for your Challenger. High performance summer tires and cold and wet weather don’t mix well.
Tires for the Challenger are your answer if you want to keep it, but if you can afford to the best is to keep both. If you are a car guy nothing beats having the choice!

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
A Wrangler won’t really help you with damp hills since it’s 2WD and open differential for most of the time on the majority of them. I haven’t heard of many people moving the transfer case lever into 4HI for driving in light rain.

My advice is to get more appropriate tires for your Challenger. High performance summer tires and cold and wet weather don’t mix well. Or buy a Subaru like everyone else in the Northwest.
I'll be getting a Sahara type setup with the auto 4WD and limited slip diff so that should help me quite a bit.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you stock that pond ?

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in my '18 Scat Pack Charger for my JLUR and have not regretted once. I did have a JKU before though so I always have loved Jeeps and knew what I was getting into with buying another one. I did the trade because of moving from North Carolina shores to Pennsylvania with the weather and road conditions. Being able to remove the top and doors, going off-roading, and the feeling of safety in inclement weather have all out weighted missing the horsepower. Final thing to consider is the Jeep will be cheaper to insure, at least in my case, and I am getting better fuel mileage in my 2.0L than the 6.4L was getting. Let me know if you have any questions.
I did the exact same thing, except I got a 2 door Rubicon. The only thing I miss is the sound of that 6.4L, everything else outweighs that loss tenfold though! The power was wasted on me anyway, very rarely got to open it up and when I did was always on the lookout for the fuzz. I have to say I am loving this 2 door, very fun to drive and maneuver.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I gave up on performance cars a long time ago. You can't keep up, as they change them every year making the next one just a little better....and you are never satisfied with the hp you have. Then, the issue of never really being able to use 50% of the performance because of laws and insurance really makes it something just to look at. The Jeep gives me a "retro" ride (that is it reminds me of driving a classic car (poor handling, poor steering, etc) and can go anywhere. It's performance is 100% usable and its style is classic

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gave up on performance cars a long time ago. You can't keep up, as they change them every year making the next one just a little better....and you are never satisfied with the hp you have. Then, the issue of never really being able to use 50% of the performance because of laws and insurance really makes it something just to look at. The Jeep gives me a "retro" ride (that is it reminds me of driving a classic car (poor handling, poor steering, etc) and can go anywhere. It's performance is 100% usable and its style is classic
" retro ride......poor handling,poor steering..." lol, Magical little bastards , arent they ? Got a grip on all of us !

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Am I crazy trading in a Challenger Scat Pack for a Wrangler?
Monday, I pulled up to Starbucks to get my morning tea. The forecast called for 90 degrees that day (which is unheard off for this time of year here), so the Jeep was naked. As I hopped out and headed to the counter, I heard an excited a voice breaking through my morning fog. I realized someone was speaking to me. This older gentleman was like, "dude you look so cool getting out of that jeep. You stopped me in my tracks and I had to do a double take.." He proceeded to excitedly follow me to the counter and talk Jeep shop with me, as I waited on line and did my transaction (mind you he was originally on his way out). Since these were the first words coming out of my mouth since I woke up that morning, I struggled to find polite comebacks to his comments without seeming rude or snobbish. Eventually, he said goodbye and complimented my jeep again. He threw in one last comment before leaving "I have a Maserati". When I walked out, I saw the guy way off in the parking lot standing next to his Maserati. I just hope he didn't mistake my morning fog for for snobbishness. So nah I dot think your crazy at all...
Sponsored