Sponsored

Do you regret your manual or automatic decision?

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door
I almost went for the auto because I was told it'd be easier for off-road, but I'm happy I didn't. Been driving a manual so long I have coasting in neutral almost down to a science. In my case it's just preference mostly because it's what I'm used to. I have even been known to turn off the hill assist on the vehicles that had it because it bothers me a bit, but I've not done that yet with this one, and i'm getting used to it. I can see it coming in handy off-roading uphill from a dead stop.
Sponsored

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
No regrets. I got the manual. At first the gear ratios seems off, but the more I understand the powernand, the more they make sense. I liked the auto, very good transmission, but it didn't stir mu soul. This Jeep is my daily driver, but also for fun, and the manual is part of the driving experience for me. If the auto was free, I might have gone for it, but for $2k, I'll take the manual and accessories.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone out there regret their transmission choice and if so, why?

Trying to decide and all practicality pushes me to an automatic (family, wife that can’t drive nor wants to learn, decent commute time with traffic, etc.) but my heart wants the manual for the simple fun of it.

Talking to a friend recently, he said he thought there is a higher chance I will get the manual and regret it later than if I get an automatic. I am curious to see if anyone here has those regrets or vice-versa.
2.0 and auto is awesome .

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yep, I do the same. You don't even need to touch the gas to start from a stop. Slow release of clutch and just crawl. (I have 2dr Rubi, but assume even Sport/Sahara gearing would allow this.) I do get some asshats who feel I'm leaving too big a gap when I crawl like that and they'll make a show of passing me just to close the gap... and then they nail the brakes and stop because IT'S A TRAFFIC JAM. I just smile and shake my head.
Sport/Sahara doesn’t crawl like the Rubicon. I think the manual mates with the Rubicon gearing better than the other trims.

that said i have no regrets. Jeeps are fun to drive and automatics are not.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
No regrets with the auto.

Sponsored

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I’ve got a 2018 WK2 with the 5.7 Hemi and of course the mandatory 8 speed auto. The only reason I’m reading these forums is that I miss having a manual in my DD and I’m thinking about a JL or JT as one option to get it back!

The 8 speed is quite good for an auto but there is no substitute for driving s M/T. Even with all that power from the Hemi and the responsive manual controls it just is not the same.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I’ve got the manual with the 3.6 in the JLU Sport S and I had some serious reservations on my way home from the dealer. I had a 250 mile drive home on a highway with a lot of hills and traffic and it was passing me off. I’ve gotten used to it though and it is mostly second nature other than when I’m going up a steep hill where I really want to up shift.

I like it. I’ve owned 2 automatics and am happy to be back to a manual trans.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I have an automatic. But I wish I could have a fun manual transmission. I love them both.
In the winter... the remote start with heated seats and steering does not mix with the manual.
The only solution is to have one of both.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Can I regret FCA's bizzaro gearing on the 6spd? They should have put 4.10 or 3.73 on all manuals at least. I'd trade the 6 for a regular ol 5 with no silly reverse lockout. I'm sure some folks spend enough time on the freeway to warrant it, but, that ain't me.. Probably ain't most.. it's likely just to get 1mpg on the EPA sticker. I'd still take this screwball manual over an auto though. Truth be told, I wanted the 2.0t, but not worth giving up a stick for it.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Can I regret FCA's bizzaro gearing on the 6spd? They should have put 4.10 or 3.73 on all manuals at least. I'd trade the 6 for a regular ol 5 with no silly reverse lockout. I'm sure some folks spend enough time on the freeway to warrant it, but, that ain't me.. Probably ain't most.. it's likely just to get 1mpg on the EPA sticker. I'd still take this screwball manual over an auto though. Truth be told, I wanted the 2.0t, but not worth giving up a stick for it.
Even 4:10 gearing is too high with a manual IMHO. It's a high-strung engine with no power down low in the RPM range, I think 4:56s would be much better. Hell even 4:88s haha

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Have the 8-speed automatic. No regrets at a all. I love it! As a matter of fact I feel the 8-speed automatic is one of the most noticeable and beneficial improvements of the JL. It's a perfect match for my JLR 20T. I have driven the 3.6 also and it's a great match with the V6 also. I drove both motors with Rubicon gears and Sport gearing all drove great with the 8-Speed. Can't go wrong.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Even 4:10 gearing is too high with a manual IMHO. It's a high-strung engine with no power down low in the RPM range, I think 4:56s would be much better. Hell even 4:88s haha
With larger tires/rubicon, for sure. The stock sport 31's would be ok without gearing beyond 4.10 I'd imagine... Or they could have made 5th 1:1, and given us a better spread of ratios. Two overdrives just seems wacky to me.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re buying a Jeep and you want a piece of that 80 year heritage, remember it wasn’t just that grill over there conquering the battlefields of Europe, there were manual transmissions in them too.
Dave, I totally get it. Just to add - I HAVE driven that 80 year heritage at the beginning of my military career. Trust me; you don’t want the M151A1 manual transmission. The only similarities to the new manual: they both had three pedals, and a shift stick.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
With larger tires/rubicon, for sure. The stock sport 31's would be ok without gearing beyond 4.10 I'd imagine... Or they could have made 5th 1:1, and given us a better spread of ratios. Two overdrives just seems wacky to me.
Unless you're making 1-4 go even lower that just makes the spread of ratios even less. Two overdrive gears aren't much of a new Idea though. I remember my old Dodge Dakota with 3.92 gears was still revved up pretty high in 5th gear and could easily have made use of a second overdrive as a sixth gear. Obviously only good for highway driving, but who get all the way to overdrive on a trail?

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you want a transmission that will last longer, go with the manual. But knowing that you want to buy a Jeep means you probably don’t care about reliability that much so go with the automatic.
Nonsense.
Sponsored