Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This frustrates me so much. Our driveway is an incline, so if I forget to turn off the ess as I turn in, 9/10 times it will turn off and back on. I like the ess feature for regular driving but this is frustrating. I thought I read about a way to fool the system (pushing the start/stop button or opening the door) but canā€™t find it now.
Provided you're driving an automatic, you could put the rig in a manual gear...

ESS won't turn on when your in a manual gear...
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
It's a shame FCA didn't program the ESS system to default to the previous setting when your vehicle was turned off. My last 2 vehicles, Mini Cooper and BMW, had this. If you personally choose to not put up with the ESS bullshit, you turn it off... ONE TIME!!! That's it! It will never come on again. Why can't FCA do this as well???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Provided you're driving an automatic, you could put the rig in a manual gear...

ESS won't turn on when your in a manual gear...
Iā€™ll try that, or someone else mentioned taking off the seatbelt or opening the door.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Ive started noticing other vehicles with ESS in traffic and not just jeeps. I believe one was a Merc.
While sitting in my jeep with back windows removed i heard someones ESS and i had to stop for a second thinking it was mine lol

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Man....after hearing all of this, makes me so glad I donā€™t have to worry about it......:)

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
It's a shame FCA didn't program the ESS system to default to the previous setting when your vehicle was turned off. My last 2 vehicles, Mini Cooper and BMW, had this. If you personally choose to not put up with the ESS bullshit, you turn it off... ONE TIME!!! That's it! It will never come on again. Why can't FCA do this as well???????????????????????????????????????????????????
CAFE gives more credit to the non-latching stop-start systems. New BMWs are non-latching as well.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
This is EXACTLY what our SmartStopStart product does (with the same option to turn it back on if you want).

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Fair. How's about this one. Put foot on brake about to back into my driveway, but don't stick the rig in reverse until the coast's clear to reverse.

Perhaps I should get use to putting the rig in reverse first, and then check for clearance (seriously saying).
I always take my seat belt off when I pull into my driveway. I turn around in my driveway and I always back my Jeep up when parking. I guess that's why I've never experienced mine shutting off when parking. Yeah maybe putting into reverse before checking and/or taking your seat belt off. Unless there is a lot of traffic on your road...

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You see, I don't hate ESS. Whatever gas it saves or "feel goods" it gives me about being slightly more green (even if I'm fooling myself) I can tolerate.

It's the unnecessary engine starts that get me, especially when 7 seconds is about the break even point to engaging ESS with gas savings.

How hard would it have been to engage ESS only when coming out of Park--much as I appreciate people's hacks.

Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, the best way to prevent an autostop (with an automatic) as you park is to pop your transmission into neutral as you come to the complete stop. The ESS will not engage when you are not in Drive. Then complete your shift into Park.

Your hand will be on the gear selector anyways, just start a 10th of a second before totally stopping and it prevents the annoying restart when you shift to park.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Back in to your parking spot. ESS doesn't engage in reverse. Problem solved :rock:
Sponsored