Hard top wind noise

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I noticed the hardtop buffeting sound the first day home and ended up with this long term fix. A 3ft by 3inch round piece of foam. It secures the hardtop on the two ends with pressure and eliminates the buffeting entirely. I later inserted sound inserts as an extra measure but this foam roll did the trick to stop the buffeting.

96AE6F1E-4870-486D-9D4F-B36236F04A2A.jpeg
That is a shame you had to do that. My 2020 JLRU with the hardtop is very quite with NO buffeting and in the 6 weeks that I have had it, its been on the highway a lot and up to 85 mph, back roads, etc. I have no issues, and this is my 3rd Wrangler and 2nd one with a hardtop.

Take yours back. Something is wrong.
Sponsored

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal
That is a shame you had to do that. My 2020 JLRU with the hardtop is very quite with NO buffeting and in the 6 weeks that I have had it, its been on the highway a lot and up to 85 mph, back roads, etc. I have no issues, and this is my 3rd Wrangler and 2nd one with a hardtop.

Take yours back. Something is wrong.
It is a shame but unless they changed something on the 2020 (mine is a 2019) it think this is a fundamental design flaw of the hardtop. The 4 door hardtop acts like a sound wave when going over small bumps, like a drum. The top doesn’t have structural reinforcement to prevent the sound.

Anyway with this foam roller pressed against the hardtop the Jeep is amazingly quiet. And the alpine sound system sounds incredible.

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
I get more noise coming from the rear wheel wells than the top...

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it go under the carpet? This stuff looks like a really good idea.
Yes it goes under the carpet directly on the metal. Roll it on and it absorbs almost all vibration and sound. You’ll see FCA puts material like this in spots along the Jeep floor, just not enough of it, especially around the wheel wells. it does the trick.

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it goes under the carpet directly on the metal. Roll it on and it absorbs almost all vibration and sound. You’ll see FCA puts material like this in spots along the Jeep floor, just not enough of it, especially around the wheel wells. it does the trick.
How much does it take/did you use?

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I noticed the hardtop buffeting sound the first day home and ended up with this long term fix. A 3ft by 3inch round piece of foam. It secures the hardtop on the two ends with pressure and eliminates the buffeting entirely. I later inserted sound inserts as an extra measure but this foam roll did the trick to stop the buffeting.

96AE6F1E-4870-486D-9D4F-B36236F04A2A.jpeg
Is that a pool noodle? Solid or hollow foam? Where did you get it?

Thanks

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide

kb9ldk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,
I just got a 2020 JLUR and was really surprised by the wind noise. And then come to find out from these forums it is no fluke. I don't expect a Jeep to be quiet, but it sounds like the window is cracked. Seems like the noise is coming from front driver side somewhere. My 2016 JK had none of this. I am going to try the tape method to see if it is actually a leak somewhere or just the way the wind sounds whipping over the top of the Jeep.
Like you I have a TON of wind noise in the front windshield passenger area.
I have taken it to 2 dealers, and both are unable or reluctant to do anything about it.
Mine is a 2019 Sahara, with 17000 mile on it now.
It will go back to the dealer again in DEC, for a steering damper recall, and I will bring up
the wind noise again.....
Please keep us posted about any available fixes...
Thank you

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
are we sure its even the hard top. I have a feeling the fact that jeep used aluminum doors really made them noisier. I get a lot of noise from the doors.even parked at a light I hear the outside noise really well as if the doors are not shut properly. I also think the seals around doors could be way better.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
mine on the passenger side it has like a cracking popping noise cracking like a creek when I take the freedom tops off and put them back on it stops for a little bit then I hear the creaking are like the popping again it's weird how do I fix

Jking

First Name
Joe King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl jeep
I adjusted the hardware in the front of the freedom panels and it helped out. There are two hold down in the front center that adjust up and down. I put them all the way down to pull the panels farther down when you flip the handles over. I also played with the latch mechanism where the latch hooks into, there are two bolts you loosen up and it can be adjusted. Big improvement!
Sponsored