Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Well could it be from the mopar lift kit?
I don’t know much about lifts; I know some say it degrades fuel MPG/KPG/KPL. Shift points also change dramatically when you are driving into the wind, with the wind, uphill or downhill. A 15KPH headwind could keep you in 7th gear I’m guessing. There are so many variables; I suggest you drive it for another month or two and see if the adaptive transmission compensates.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

When i was running oem 33s i would hit 8th while in cruise control on the highway. On flat ground. Usually it was 7th. Then again, i did not reprogram my jeep till i got 35s. Mpg was still good on the 33s even without the reprogramming.

Order a tazer or flashcal and reprogram your computer to run the bigger tires. If you take it to the dealership you will have to take it to them every time you change tire size or gears etc. with a tazer or flashcal you can do it yourself whenever you want.

The lift in combination with the bigger wheel size may be causing enough drag to prevent 8th gear but thats just guessing.

Re-gearing to 410s would certainly help but that can be pricey. At that point you may as well grab some rubi take off axles and get beefier axles and lockers all at the same time.

Are you concerned with the mpg or just wanting to use 8th gear?

Got any pics of your jeep? Im interested to see what sport on mopar lift and 33s looks like.

OP
OP
Uae9909

Uae9909

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU sport
When i was running oem 33s i would hit 8th while in cruise control on the highway. On flat ground. Usually it was 7th. Then again, i did not reprogram my jeep till i got 35s. Mpg was still good on the 33s even without the reprogramming.

Order a tazer or flashcal and reprogram your computer to run the bigger tires. If you take it to the dealership you will have to take it to them every time you change tire size or gears etc. with a tazer or flashcal you can do it yourself whenever you want.

The lift in combination with the bigger wheel size may be causing enough drag to prevent 8th gear but thats just guessing.

Re-gearing to 410s would certainly help but that can be pricey. At that point you may as well grab some rubi take off axles and get beefier axles and lockers all at the same time.

Are you concerned with the mpg or just wanting to use 8th gear?

Got any pics of your jeep? Im interested to see what sport on mopar lift and 33s looks like.
Well I just want to use the 8th gear
And heres a photo of my wrangler

4D027FC7-0396-4879-A5ED-79345C47A748.jpeg

barongan

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cherokee
Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion
Jeep Wrangler JL What I hate about my jlu {filename}

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth...I drove twenty miles one way into town and back today. Going into town I had a 7-10 MPH tail wind. It grabbed 8th gear and stayed there the entire way in. Heading back home into the same wind, it would not move out of 7th gear. I manually put it into 8th gear. MPG was WORSE in 8th.

Both 7th and 8th are overdrive gears. Trust your computer.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
For what it’s worth...I drove twenty miles one way into town and back today. Going into town I had a 7-10 MPH tail wind. It grabbed 8th gear and stayed there the entire way in. Heading back home into the same wind, it would not move out of 7th gear. I manually put it into 8th gear. MPG was WORSE in 8th.

Both 7th and 8th are overdrive gears. Trust your computer.
Mentioning wind, if i’m driving through some crazy headwind like the last 3 days in miami my jeep will downshift from 8th into 7th and stay there if i have cruise set to 70mph. Bone stock sport.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Mentioning wind, if i’m driving through some crazy headwind like the last 3 days in miami my jeep will downshift from 8th into 7th and stay there if i have cruise set to 70mph. Bone stock sport.
I don’t see me getting above 7th heading across Alligator Alley from west to east, this time of the year.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I dont think so... i had the mods with the wrangler... i never drove it stock
And that affects your driving style, how? That’s actually even worse, as the transmission had no time to learn to shift with the stock setup, just the large tire, low gear, heavy footed way to drive that it knows.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Step 1. Reprogram so your Jeep knows it’s running 33” tires. That will change your shift points and may fix or mediate your problem. You can buy a JL TAZER online and they’re great for a lot of tweaks including changing your tire size and can be bought for about $350.

Step 2. If the reprogram doesn’t work you may need to look into different gears, which can be quite a bit more expensive.

A lift can negatively affect the aerodynamics of the Jeep by getting more air under the vehicle which creates more drag and thereby causing higher RPMs and lower fuel economy. But in my experience gearing is a much larger issue and there’s nothing you can do about the aerodynamics unless you lower the Jeep again.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Step 1. Reprogram so your Jeep knows it’s running 33” tires. That will change your shift points and may fix or mediate your problem. You can buy a JL TAZER online and they’re great for a lot of tweaks including changing your tire size and can be bought for about $350.

Step 2. If the reprogram doesn’t work you may need to look into different gears, which can be quite a bit more expensive.

A lift can negatively affect the aerodynamics of the Jeep by getting more air under the vehicle which creates more drag and thereby causing higher RPMs and lower fuel economy. But in my experience gearing is a much larger issue and there’s nothing you can do about the aerodynamics unless you lower the Jeep again.
And THAT is why I shoved 33s under my Sport and probably won’t lift it!

-rant on-

I kinda chuckle at the extremely jacked up trucks and jeeps I see on a daily basis. I saw a truck recently - you know the one, with the stupid bull nuts hanging off the back - that was so jacked up you needed a ladder to get in and out of it. Yet...he was running what looked like 32s with his pumpkins about eight inches off of the pavement. I see that frequently. Ground clearance isn’t based on lift, but tire size, for God’s sake!

-rant off-

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Change the programming and regear to rubicon gears and it should theoretically behave as a rubicon. Lift notwithstanding of course.

ie 8th gear working
I just want to point out again that 33s on a Sport with 3.45:1 is perfectly fine. I know this because I’m running them on my 2018 Sport on and off road with zero issues, and no appreciable change in MPG. I’m not against re-gearing - just make sure it’s for the right reasons.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I just want to point out again that 33s on a Sport with 3.45:1 is perfectly fine. I know this because I’m running them on my 2018 Sport on and off road with zero issues, and no appreciable change in MPG. I’m not against re-gearing - just make sure it’s for the right reasons.
I had the same thing on my sport and agree with you but the OP seems bent on experiencing 8th gear more often. I didnt see 8th much when i jumped to the rubi tires.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

And THAT is why I shoved 33s under my Sport and probably won’t lift it!

-rant on-

I kinda chuckle at the extremely jacked up trucks and jeeps I see on a daily basis. I saw a truck recently - you know the one, with the stupid bull nuts hanging off the back - that was so jacked up you needed a ladder to get in and out of it. Yet...he was running what looked like 32s with his pumpkins about eight inches off of the pavement. I see that frequently. Ground clearance isn’t based on lift, but tire size, for God’s sake!

-rant off-
Tire size helps with some stuff but even on 35s with Rubi suspension i still get high centered. The cure for that is more lift, which is why ill be going with the mopar lift. That and more articulation.
Sponsored