First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'm always reevaluating my gear and adjusting as needed.

This last trip I just took a cooler, a couple of bags for cloths and toiletries, recovery gear, and the pup's bed. No tent or bags... no chairs. We hotel camped.

:CWL:
Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t argue with needing to bring the beer!

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Something I always mean to do but don’t is to make a complete packing list (including food) and then note down what you actually eat and use. Then next trip look at that list and mostly just bring what you used.

I totally get the being prepared and the want to bring more stuff to be prepared. If it’s a group trip maybe you can coordinate a bit and share tools. Usually no reason to bring 4 chainsaws but 1 might be a great idea. Etc.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Something I always mean to do but don’t is to make a complete packing list (including food) and then note down what you actually eat and use. Then next trip look at that list and mostly just bring what you used.

I totally get the being prepared and the want to bring more stuff to be prepared. If it’s a group trip maybe you can coordinate a bit and share tools. Usually no reason to bring 4 chainsaws but 1 might be a great idea. Etc.
I'm actually a nerd and have a spreadsheet of all my gear. It does help.

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
good looking setup !

i was at Telluride last week and was blast :)

if you dont mind posting a Flex pictures ? im looking for more offset ideas..

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP, I've been following your JL build with 37’s. I was trying to decide 35/37’s and now have 37’s on order. I chose a Mopar 2” lift. I’m told the springs on that kit are light too but with reported lift height of around 3” I hope it will be good. Plus I don’t overland out of my JL, so it doesn’t carry that equipment. I too found overlanding great but setting up and breaking it back down, not so much. BTDT over the years, I back packed first, then added a motorcycled to that equipment. Then switched to a 4x truck and canopy , switched canopy to a popup Camper and now....
Tiger towing Wrangler.jpg

I can’t top this current setup, it works so well for me.
Anyway, Your JL could work for overlanding as you know but "how too” make it work for you is always a learning curve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
good looking setup !

i was at Telluride last week and was blast :)

if you dont mind posting a Flex pictures ? im looking for more offset ideas..
Well, there aren't many flexy places in and around Ouray, but here are a few. Not completely stuffed but close.
IMG_3892.JPG
IMG_3900.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, I've been following your JL build with 37’s. I was trying to decide 35/37’s and now have 37’s on order. I chose a Mopar 2” lift. I’m told the springs on that kit are light too but with reported lift height of around 3” I hope it will be good. Plus I don’t overland out of my JL, so it doesn’t carry that equipment. I too found overlanding great but setting up and breaking it back down, not so much. BTDT over the years, I back packed first, then added a motorcycled to that equipment. Then switched to a 4x truck and canopy , switched canopy to a popup Camper and now....
Tiger towing Wrangler.jpg

I can’t top this current setup, it works so well for me.
Anyway, Your JL could work for overloading as you know but "how too” make it work for you is always a learning curve.
That's a sweet setup.

You're right. It is a learning process on what works. I'm making adjustments to my gear. I've cut quite a bit of weight and think I'll be able to get by without the roof rack. Probably going to sell my Powertank setup as well. That is a real pain in the rear to carry in a 2 door.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Against my better judgement about adding more weight to the tailgate, I went ahead and installed this Front Runner Tailgate Table I've had siitting around for the last 4 months just waiting. It's an added 18lbs and it's rattle free. The install was very easy. Fit was almost perfect. I did have to file one hole in the bottom support bracket into a slot to get the mounting bolts to line up correctly. Not a huge deal. The plywood slide out table isn't the best quality. Not horrible, but could have been a higher grade IMO. I decided to sand it down and put 3 coats of matte polycrylic on it. Turned out nice. Happy so far. Can't wait to put it to good use camping this weekend.

IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did a thing and changed up the look a bit. This was always the plan. Contemplating making this permanent with bullet liner. Haven’t decided though.

B6A17604-BF3E-4FAF-AB44-C39F44F5953B.jpeg
878D7DE9-EA0D-4031-BA1C-74A558946C1C.jpeg
21295B53-4461-49F3-8A77-A5AB1527616A.jpeg

LVZen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door 3.6L
FYI, I have 35in KO2s. I had them on the stock carrier but started to get a bit of squeaking from the tailgate, so I bought the Mopar reinforcement kit. My challenge was torquing the M10 hinge bolts with the T45 bit to spec without stripping them out. It was fine until I did Imogene and Black Bear and rattled it around a bit, then the tailgate dropped and wasn't opening and closing properly. I went to Lowe's and bought plain old M10 hex head bolts and washers for about $7 and replaced the hinge bolts that came with the kit. It works fine now because I could torque the hex head bolts down properly. You might try replacing those bolts; it may may not be the hinge after all.

P.S. Nice Jeep.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, I have 35in KO2s. I had them on the stock carrier but started to get a bit of squeaking from the tailgate, so I bought the Mopar reinforcement kit. My challenge was torquing the M10 hinge bolts with the T45 bit to spec without stripping them out. It was fine until I did Imogene and Black Bear and rattled it around a bit, then the tailgate dropped and wasn't opening and closing properly. I went to Lowe's and bought plain old M10 hex head bolts and washers for about $7 and replaced the hinge bolts that came with the kit. It works fine now because I could torque the hex head bolts down properly. You might try replacing those bolts; it may may not be the hinge after all.

P.S. Nice Jeep.
Thanks. I don't recall having a problem torquing everything down on the carrier and hinge. So far it has held up to moderate wheeling just fine. No rattles and no additional sagging. My new tire carrier arrives today so I will no longer have to worry about this. I went with the CavFab carrier. It will be a few weeks before I can get it installed. I need to have it powder coated first.

I was patiently waiting on the Maximus-3 carrier to be released, but after deciding I no longer wanted to hang a bunch of heavy gear off the back I went another route.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Thanks to you and your thread, the genright rear bumper is the one I want, so I am preparing for that, but first I did Rusty’s quarter panel protection, and thanks to you found the Artec license plate relation solution I like the best.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to you and your thread, the genright rear bumper is the one I want, so I am preparing for that, but first I did Rusty’s quarter panel protection, and thanks to you found the Artec license plate relation solution I like the best.
Glad to be helpful. I will have my artec rear plate relocation bracket up for sale shortly if you're interested. The new cavfab tire carrier has one built in so I no longer have a need for the artec. I have the wiring kit too that I never got around to using.
Sponsored