OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have one ordered from Northridge 4x4. The brace seems to complete the HD steering components I've already installed in prep of my back ordered 37" tires. I was already thinking my steering box and track bar mount were weak links. It will be good for peace of mind.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have one ordered from Northridge 4x4. The brace seems to complete the HD steering components I've already installed in prep of my back ordered 37" tires. I was already thinking my steering box and track bar mount were weak links. It will be good for peace of mind.
Yeah i think i will do the same. Everything else beefed under there as well

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought this today...will see if it truly gets rid of excessive steering box wear, play.

If this doesn't work, then I know without a doubt its the steering box that is the issue. I'll keep you all posted.

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Synergy Brace is on my rig. As far as installation, I had hell of a time getting that big sector shaft/pitman arm nut off. 1st I had to buy the 42MM socket and then bought a 1,000 ft.Lb. impact drill. It wouldn't do it. Used a 3/4" x 18" breaker bar with 2' pipe extension to get it off. About an 1/8 of a turn per pull X too many. Worse than body bolts to remove. Not all the holes lined up on the bracket either, had to over size a couple. Also had to grind off some factory over weld so the Syn. bracket could stratal the T.B. bracket.
As to the Synergy brace itself. I really didn't like the aluminum pillow block holding the bronze bearing and hated the aluminum sector shaft/pitman arm nut that replaced the factory metal nut. Trying to torque down that alum. nut really deformed it. Keeping a socket on it became impossible. Be very careful, I'm not at all satisfied with not being able to get to torque spec.
No road test. My JLR is throwing a U0432 code and has ESS & ESC warning lights on so I haven't driven it yet with the brace. I'll be interested in your reviews.
Did you use a long or short 42? The instructions are showing a short 42. I'm assuming that would make a difference.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
The Synergy Brace is on my rig. As far as installation, I had hell of a time getting that big sector shaft/pitman arm nut off. 1st I had to buy the 42MM socket and then bought a 1,000 ft.Lb. impact drill. It wouldn't do it. Used a 3/4" x 18" breaker bar with 2' pipe extension to get it off. About an 1/8 of a turn per pull X too many. Worse than body bolts to remove. Not all the holes lined up on the bracket either, had to over size a couple. Also had to grind off some factory over weld so the Syn. bracket could stratal the T.B. bracket.
As to the Synergy brace itself. I really didn't like the aluminum pillow block holding the bronze bearing and hated the aluminum sector shaft/pitman arm nut that replaced the factory metal nut. Trying to torque down that alum. nut really deformed it. Keeping a socket on it became impossible. Be very careful, I'm not at all satisfied with not being able to get to torque spec.
No road test. My JLR is throwing a U0432 code and has ESS & ESC warning lights on so I haven't driven it yet with the brace. I'll be interested in your reviews.
I just installed mine monday. I didn have any of these issues, installed in like 30 minutes. Only thing i didnt like my factory pitman nut was probably finger tight. I had my big breaker bar out, braced myself, pulled hard, flew backwards and slammed into the front of the jeep. It was not tight at all haha. Didnt have any issues tightening it up either. I installed everything and did the nut last, turned the wheels to lock and torqued. I have a really long torque wrench though dunno what size you used.

i dont like the allen screws, those suck, i just put some axle grease around the bushing and the nut and slid it on tightened all the bolts starting at the gearbox and worked my way down. To me it made my steering feel more solid, cut down on my bumpsteer a tiny bit, and made turning a bit stiffer. Still wanders a bit though so didnt do anything for that. But i think it was worth it for the “rigid” sort of feeling it has now. Feels more connected to the body

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Good to be you. That pitman arm nut just about kicked my ass. Just like the body bolts are a problem for some and other not so much.
Oh believe me i was fully expecting mine to be an absolute nightmare. I know how you felt lol. Sucks you had to mod it so much to fit too

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed mine monday. I didn have any of these issues, installed in like 30 minutes. Only thing i didnt like my factory pitman nut was probably finger tight. I had my big breaker bar out, braced myself, pulled hard, flew backwards and slammed into the front of the jeep. It was not tight at all haha. Didnt have any issues tightening it up either. I installed everything and did the nut last, turned the wheels to lock and torqued. I have a really long torque wrench though dunno what size you used.

i dont like the allen screws, those suck, i just put some axle grease around the bushing and the nut and slid it on tightened all the bolts starting at the gearbox and worked my way down. To me it made my steering feel more solid, cut down on my bumpsteer a tiny bit, and made turning a bit stiffer. Still wanders a bit though so didnt do anything for that. But i think it was worth it for the “rigid” sort of feeling it has now. Feels more connected to the body
I'm curious are you running stock parts such as tie-rod, draglink, and trackbar? What size tires do you have?

Thank you!

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious are you running stock parts such as tie-rod, draglink, and trackbar? What size tires do you have?

Thank you!
Steersmarts yeti tie rod/draglink, rk trackbar, and 35” coopers. Why?

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Steersmarts yeti tie rod/draglink, rk trackbar, and 35” coopers. Why?
The instructions state:

the front springs should be removed and the suspension cycled to full bump to determine the bump stop spacing required prevent the track bar from contacting the sector shaft nut, or any other interference.

Just wondering if you did this part, it seems like nonsense.

thanks,
Sponsored