OP
OP

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Hopefully GM will move to a State that does not have unions but most likely they will move out of the country.
There's always the tax loving state Utah with the right to work laws.
Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
As have I. Do you think there'll be a union for a your private business that has a handful of employees? No. We're talking about multi billion dollar organizations that employ thousands.

Don't compare your mom and pop business to a multi billion. Try running FCA/GM/Ford with zero employees.

You're talking apples to oranges.
Not at all. Last 'Tube video I saw of the FCA production line for the Wrangler a lot of it was assembled with robotics.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've worked for companies that are and aren't Union shops. It's a gross misconception from Union workers that companies don't value their Union employees. They all understand the importance of their factory workers. The problem lies with the often combative atmosphere that Unions spawn, intentionally or not. I've found the general work environment and worker attitudes to be superior at non-Union shops and the results year to year were also more consistent. It's not the 1930's anymore and American companies don't hold the industrial advantages that they did years ago. Workers at all levels within a company can no longer just go through the motions day to day and expect the company to stay competitive in a global market.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
We have several different unions at work. The union my guys are apart of (I'm management) is currently screwing them over with less time at home. All of my guys wish they could say F*** their union and do a gentleman's agreement between them and me. I've been told, from both sides, that our company has made very generous offers, even agreeing to the Unions demands, which the majority of the members are happy with only to get rejected without going to vote. I've never been in a Union and probably never will. But I've seen both the good and bad of a Union from a management side but ultimately most of us at work, union members included, seem to think the Union is more pain than it's worth.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Unions have monopolized their power and are harmful to their own people, companies, and consumers. The harmful part: by striking and refusing to work as a member of a union, laws (Laws that they bought politicians to pass) make it extremely difficult for others to be hired in place and continue operations. The result for the Union is little or no competition (imagine that...), which at that point they can demand higher wages for the same or lesser amounts of production.

By threatening to stop work if companies don’t pay employees more, unions force companies to layoff some workers. That hurts other union workers, the company and consumers.

Public Union = Public Enemy

0CFE7143-41DB-453D-9530-6A86640271EB.gif

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have been seeing that UAW has gone on strike at GM, but may also go on strike at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and Ford. My big question/concern is what will the build quality be like before UAW goes on strike for Jeep.
Same $hitty quality it is now. I say that after having the following done within first 6 months of ownership...
- Thin paint where you can actually see primer
- Loose fender vent
- Tie rod replaced
- Steering bar replaced
- Two front tires replaced
- Radiator replaced

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
The pay gap between executives and plant floor labor will ALWAYS be there.
The statement that the avg line worker makes $70k-$80k blows the line worker’s argument out of the water to me.
$70k-$80k is damn good money for replaceable, manual labor performed by people who generally have no additional education or business skills.
I’m not meaning that be a knock on the line worker, but that’s a pretty good living for menial labor. If you want more, push yourself to advance beyond a line worker.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
I've worked for companies that are and aren't Union shops. It's a gross misconception from Union workers that companies don't value their Union employees. They all understand the importance of their factory workers. The problem lies with the often combative atmosphere that Unions spawn, intentionally or not. I've found the general work environment and worker attitudes to be superior at non-Union shops and the results year to year were also more consistent. It's not the 1930's anymore and American companies don't hold the industrial advantages that they did years ago. Workers at all levels within a company can no longer just go through the motions day to day and expect the company to stay competitive in a global market.
Very well said.
My company is a large manufacturing company that is non-union and the relationship between management and hourly employees is very relaxed and open.
The unions have tried repeatedly to get in and they get voted down every time. The hourly employees who have worked at union shops in their past are generally the most vocal leaders against the unions because they know how the relationship will change drastically.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I was reading about the GM strike. and a lot has to do GM trying to move out of country for there build lines. I find it funny that the government bails them out and they havent been paying back there debt and now they want to outsource. GM is in for a nice Spanking.
I know for a fact, when they were bailed out some 11 years ago, the loan was raided back with interest. The number 50 million in interest come to mind, but it can be Googled.

Sponsored

lakebuster

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JL and 2015 Jeep JK Willys Wheeler
This sounds the Oil Companies and USW. Shell goes 1st and if they sign the rest usually follow suit. But still agree with some how can the government bail them out and then move production to Mexico. Best of Luck!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I know for a fact, when they were bailed out some 11 years ago, the loan was raided back with interest. The number 50 million in interest come to mind, but it can be Googled.
isnt it around 11 billion still owed plus interest?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
isnt it around 11 billion still owed plus interest?
I can count on one finger the number of people who believe those loans will be paid back.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Not all unions are bad and are out to drain the company on money
The steel plant I work at has 2 separate unions, us labourers/trades/operators are one and foreman/supervisors is the other union. We all work together with the company as best and fairly as we can. Years ago we were close to striking and because you can not just shut off a coke battery or blast furnace, we added to our strike vote that we would protect the assets. We started training upper management so they could come in and keep everything running just enough so we didn’t cause damage
Also because of my area of work, the union makes sure the company keeps our medical records up to date and on file long after retirement incase any workplace disease is to arise
The new company that recently bought us is great, didn’t even have to bargain with them. They offered us a great contract and the only thing we had to work out was some language and clear up some past grievances.
Last company was absolutely terrible, never paid their bills and damn near ran us into the ground. Never had enough supplies and gear, machines were always down due to no parts. They made their money, put us into bankruptcy protection in the courts and ran back overseas

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I can count on one finger the number of people who believe those loans will be paid back.
i am a firm believer " loaned money never gets returned." but thats because people dont have proper values and are not held accountable for their actions as they should
Sponsored