Sponsored

Transmission Pan Heaters for the frigid north...

Sir Harriet

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ Wrangler, 2018 JL Sahara 4 Door
Hello all,

As I await the arrival of my new jeep , I ponder all the things I should ensure are in place. I ordered a manual transmission, and live in Northern Canada. Would a tranny pan heater be a good addition to the kit ? Any ideas of pricing installed? and should I do this after market or through the dealer? Thoughts? Thank you!
Sponsored

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
I lived in Alaska for awhile and a transmission/oil/battery heater/charger are a must! They make starting the vehicles much easier. The first set I paid for to have installed on my Grand Cherokee. After that I installed them myself (with the exception of the block heater). It's a very easy process and the parts (I used Kat's brand) are available on Amazon. Usually the local NAPA or Autozone will have the four way plug in box. I now live in Kansas, but the Jeep will be back in AK so I'll end up adding these things as well. The hardest part is figuring out where to mount the four way box.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I live in NY and admittedly don’t have as cold weather as Alaska. However I don’t believe you need a transmission heater for a manual transmission ever. I don’t see why you can’t start your engine and leave the clutch depressed for 30 seconds until the oil’s flowing smoothly through the engine. Plus these modern trans don’t use the heavy 90 weight oil like the old days. They use ATF. I think it’s overkill and for that matter you mind as well put a heater on the differential too. Auto trans? Maybe, But never stick shift. Also, your manual transmission doesn’t have a pan.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hello all,

As I await the arrival of my new jeep , I ponder all the things I should ensure are in place. I ordered a manual transmission, and live in Northern Canada. Would a tranny pan heater be a good addition to the kit ? Any ideas of pricing installed? and should I do this after market or through the dealer? Thoughts? Thank you!
All Canadian Jeeps should come with an installed block heater. That may be all you need.

On page 332 of the 2020 digital manual:
"ENGINE BLOCK HEATER — IF EQUIPPED

The engine block heater warms the engine, and permits quicker starts in cold weather. Connect the cord to a stan-dard 110-115 Volt AC electrical outlet with a grounded, three-wire extension cord.

The engine block heater must be plugged in at least one hour to have an adequate warming effect on the engine.

The engine block heater cord is found under the hood bundled in front of the battery tray."
Sponsored