DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just changed my oil right at 22,000 miles on the JLUR. I had Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in it this run, and it did really well. The engine continues to improve as it is now fully broken-in. Now, I'm not talking about the original sub 1k mile break in where the rings seat, but rather where the engine settles in and starts to show very little wear. Most of my vehicles have seen this around 20k miles, so this looks to continue the trend, but I actually expect to see further improvement still.

Anyway, I ran a very expensive and hard to find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in 0w20. Some think this oil is the same as Platinum, but Pennzoil reps insist it is better, although they won't say how. It does vary, but only slightly slightly on their product data sheet, showing a very slightly higher flash point and same pour point. It also is slightly thicker at 212 degrees (full operating temp), although still in the 20 weight grade, and also at 104 degrees (cold), which is still in the 0 weight grade at that temp. It is advertised to keep pistons "65% cleaner" while Platinum states "50% cleaner." It also is listed by Pennzoil as being for extreme performance, whatever that means. They don't really define it, but they do state that it is for Dodge SRT performance engines. I believe Ultra Platinum is the factory fill in the Hellcat and Demon engines, so maybe it is engineered for more high rpm high heat applications. Who knows? I do know it performed very well in my 3.6 and it could have gone much longer than 5,000 miles, as would any oil I've run so far. Of note is Pennzoil's 15 year, 500,000 mile warranty on Ultra Platinum vs. 10 years and 300,000 on Platinum.

I did add about one cup of oil at about 4k miles. The dipstick showed a very slight drop in oil level. I haven't had to do that before, but the amount was so small, it could have been a variance in my checking methodology. I try to do it by the book, with engine at full operating temp and then shut off for 5 minutes before checking, but I might have been off a little at that point. The oil I added was Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, as I had no Ultra Platinum in reserve. I didn't want to pay 20 bucks for a quart I didn't think I'd use. I would bet it didn't impact any of the data even in the slightest.

I've gone back to Mobil 1 AP 0w20 for the current run. It will likely be the most common I run, but I will try others from time to time. I have a stash of Chevron Havoline Pro DS full synthetic 0w20 that I might run next summer, if I'm in the mood to try it out. I do know that this report may make me come back to Ultra Platinum at some point, too.

The good news is that the 3.6 will run very well on any good quality 0w20 and should last a long, long time.

Every other oil change I've done on the JLUR is on this sheet, so enjoy!
VeoI4bg.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
More info...I'm running a Mopar air filter that I changed after a dusty trip to Moab last year. On this oil change and filter, I didn't do any particularly dusty driving. That will happen more this fall, so we'll see how the filter does. The Mopar air filters appear to do just fine.

Also, the oil filter this run was a Fram Ultra, and it came out looking great, as always, and the filtration looked outstanding on the analysis. The next run is on a Mobil 1 filter. I think the Ultra is a little better, but the M1 is still excellent and I got 13 of them for $4 bucks each on clearance, so I'll be running them for a good while.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles for the universal averages?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles for the universal averages?
Good question. I don't know. I'll have to ask Blackstone. It is probably an average, too. It would be interesting to see what it is.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Interesting Blackstone data (I've been using BS for years on my Challengers, (392 & 6.2L Hellcats). I've noticed that the factory fill is high in Molybdenum and the 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Plat spec'd by Dodge for the V8s is also high in moly (typ 240 PPM) as the SRT engineers requested. My Blackstone analysis for my 2 JLURs (3.6L) both look like your first change as well, high in metals but high in moly as well. I'm running the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic 0W20 as it's moly content is a bit higher then the similar Penz Plat (around 140 PPM, based on the virgin OA on BITOG). I'm surprised the Penz UP is so low in moly. I've now got about 2K miles on the Rotella, but I'll post the results when I change it. BTW, it's only $21 at Walmart and had a $10 rebate, so I net paid $11.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good question. I don't know. I'll have to ask Blackstone. It is probably an average, too. It would be interesting to see what it is.
I found it in your first UOA -- 6,100 miles for universal averages.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I found it in your first UOA -- 6,100 miles for universal averages.
Great! Good find! I wonder if they are differentiating between the Gen 1 and gen 2 Pentastar? I doubt it.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great! Good find! I wonder if they are differentiating between the Gen 1 and gen 2 Pentastar? I doubt it.
That would be a good question for Blackstone, but I am also betting they do not. I am using Polaris for my UOAs, Blackstone cannot accurately measure fuel dilution.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That would be a good question for Blackstone, but I am also betting they do not. I am using Polaris for my UOAs, Blackstone cannot accurately measure fuel dilution.
I've heard about that. I didn't worry because the 3.6 isn't DI. If I do one on my Ecoboost, I'll go with Polaris, like you.

Do you have the 2.0 turbo?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard about that. I didn't worry because the 3.6 isn't DI. If I do one on my Ecoboost, I'll go with Polaris, like you.

Do you have the 2.0 turbo?
No; I have the 3.6L, but another reason is that Blackstone is not ISO certified, does not use the latest ASTM processes (the last time I checked), and they cost more than Polaris.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No; I have the 3.6L, but another reason is that Blackstone is not ISO certified, does not use the latest ASTM processes (the last time I checked), and they cost more than Polaris.
I'll have to check Polaris out. I'm pretty confident fuel dilution isn't significant. It is unusual in Pentastars and my driving profile rarely involves short trips.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good stuff Dan. I've used Pennz Plat (not the Ultra) for several years (w/ WIX filters) and has resulted in great Blackstone reports on our Infiniti G37, and have continued using it for our JL along w/ the bargain bin Mobil 1 filters @ Walmart (only grabbed the last 3 though). Will be sticking to 6k change intervals, don't think I'll be running any Blackstones on this one, I'll just be following your reports, lol.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good stuff Dan. I've used Pennz Plat (not the Ultra) for several years (w/ WIX filters) and has resulted in great Blackstone reports on our Infiniti G37, and have continued using it for our JL along w/ the bargain bin Mobil 1 filters @ Walmart (only grabbed the last 3 though). Will be sticking to 6k change intervals, don't think I'll be running any Blackstones on this one, I'll just be following your reports, lol.
Yeah, I think that's not only a safe bet, but a recipe for a long lasting strong engine. I'm just a big M1 fan from years and years of excellent service, but I think "regular" Pennzoil Platinum is an outstanding oil and as good as any. Can't go wrong with it, especially with this sweetheart of an engine. I think this engine could make the least brand look great.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted Blackstone with some questions and got a pretty immediate reply, which I've pasted below. I have to say one of the things I like is the quick and thorough response to my questions, which has always been consistent with them and one of the main reasons I've stuck with them. I also like supporting the home team, as they are in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. :like: I'm always open to trying something better, though, if it is out there.

Hi Daniel,

There is no certification process specific to oil analysis laboratories. I
can't vouch for what Polaris has or has not pursued, but ISO certification
is something that is available to a wide variety of businesses. It does not
cover oil analysis specifically, so we have not pursued it. Our tests follow
ASTM standards, and those are specific to oil testing. We've listed those
test standards on our website. One of those tests is the Cleveland Cold cup
method for testing flashpoint, which is what we use to check for fuel
contamination.

I don't know what Polaris charges, but I'm sure they are less expensive.
What you get with Blackstone is personalized comments, because we have
analysts on staff who look at every single report, analyze the data, and
interpret it for you. We tailor the comments specifically to you and your
vehicle, and we take into account how you drive, anything special about the
engine or your situation, and anything you want us to know about the oil
change. That doesn't come cheap. We don't try and compete on price - you get
a person on the phone immediately when you call us, and you can talk to the
person who wrote your report.

We do have a discount program in place. If you pay for at least 6 samples up
front they are $25 each, and those never expire and are good for any kind of
oil. You can buy those here if you are interested:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/discounts-bulk-orders/

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you just want to chat
about your BMW or Wrangler. Have a great weekend!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted Blackstone with some questions and got a pretty immediate reply, which I've pasted below. I have to say one of the things I like is the quick and thorough response to my questions, which has always been consistent with them and one of the main reasons I've stuck with them. I also like supporting the home team, as they are in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. :like: I'm always open to trying something better, though, if it is out there.

Hi Daniel,

There is no certification process specific to oil analysis laboratories. I
can't vouch for what Polaris has or has not pursued, but ISO certification
is something that is available to a wide variety of businesses. It does not
cover oil analysis specifically, so we have not pursued it. Our tests follow
ASTM standards, and those are specific to oil testing. We've listed those
test standards on our website. One of those tests is the Cleveland Cold cup
method for testing flashpoint, which is what we use to check for fuel
contamination.

I don't know what Polaris charges, but I'm sure they are less expensive.
What you get with Blackstone is personalized comments, because we have
analysts on staff who look at every single report, analyze the data, and
interpret it for you. We tailor the comments specifically to you and your
vehicle, and we take into account how you drive, anything special about the
engine or your situation, and anything you want us to know about the oil
change. That doesn't come cheap. We don't try and compete on price - you get
a person on the phone immediately when you call us, and you can talk to the
person who wrote your report.

We do have a discount program in place. If you pay for at least 6 samples up
front they are $25 each, and those never expire and are good for any kind of
oil. You can buy those here if you are interested:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/discounts-bulk-orders/

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you just want to chat
about your BMW or Wrangler. Have a great weekend!
I have used Blackstone quite a bit in the past (at least 40 UOAs), but their inability to accurately measure fuel dilution and soot combined with the "anecdotal" analysis information they provide and the cost of the test with TBN included pushed me to search for another lab.

While I agree that ISO certification is not specific to oil analysis laboratories, ISO/IEC 17025:2005 specifies the general requirements for the competence to carry out tests and/or calibrations, including sampling. It covers testing and calibration performed using standard methods, non-standard methods, and laboratory-developed methods. Polaris is certified to ISO 17025.

I will also say that ISO certification means that you have documented, repeatable, certified, and auditable processes, that you confirm to standards as a whole AND that you are audited regularly by a certified ISO registrar to maintain those standards and processes.

The last time I looked at Blackstone they were using outdated ASTM processes and Polaris is $20.05 per test when purchased through Amsoil as a preferred customer. I am not bashing Blackstone, but for the money and the rigorous certifications that Polaris has, it is an easy choice for me.

Here are all of the Polaris certifications (I use the Houston lab since it is right down the street):

https://polarislabs.com/polaris/our-promise/
Sponsored