Instrument Cluster Swap

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I just stumbled on it after ChewLola posted his swap, he got his from LKQ Parts online. Just luck and keep checking. Maybe call Instrument Cluster Store and ask if they have any.
Gregj
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChewLola

ChewLola

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Wrangler JL Sport 2DR, ā€˜17 Bentley Continental GT Supersports, ā€˜19 Audi SQ5 (wife), ā€˜93 Land Rover Defender 90
Occupation
Attorney
088B251A-BD6A-4B09-9CCD-F23A2567FF94.jpeg
Hereā€™s a final installed pic of mine (painted dash panels & steering wheel bezel). 100% plug and play. Zero issues in the (almost) month since I installed it.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, fixing the odometer may work in Alpha OBD. It has been done on the Ram forums with recent updates to the app.

Alpha Info:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

Mileage:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/page-788#post-2078942

Hours:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/page-791#post-2081579
Hmm, don't know what to think of this. The ability to change the mileage at will seems to open up a very large gray area. I wonder if the mileage is stored somewhere else besides the cluster for verification? The PCM, BCM?

Gregj

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hmm, don't know what to think of this. The ability to change the mileage at will seems to open up a very large gray area. I wonder if the mileage is stored somewhere else besides the cluster for verification? The PCM, BCM?

Gregj
This is correct. The cluster verifies its mileage data as well as its VIN with what is stored in the vehicle's BCM. It's explained in more detail in this document...

Attachments

Sponsored

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE

Gregj
The way I understand it is the mileage is stored a few different computers. As long as you are just correcting the new speedometer to match your old one there shouldn't be any issues. I don't see how this is any more grey than paying a vendor $100 to change it and sign a paper promising it is accurate.

I am actually shocked that this app isn't mentioned more in these forums. It is praised on ram, Cherokee, challenger, dart, etc forums. I bought it for my ram and plan on using it for the gladiator I hope to buy in the future. All I would need is a bypass harness.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The way I understand it is the mileage is stored a few different computers. As long as you are just correcting the new speedometer to match your old one there shouldn't be any issues. I don't see how this is any more grey than paying a vendor $100 to change it and sign a paper promising it is accurate.

I am actually shocked that this app isn't mentioned more in these forums. It is praised on ram, Cherokee, challenger, dart, etc forums. I bought it for my ram and plan on using it for the gladiator I hope to buy in the future. All I would need is a bypass harness.
I agree, I'm good to go as I had the mileage changed to match the old cluster and have receipts and pictures to prove it. Where I see a potential problem is how does a layman know if the mileage stored in the different places match? Do you need a Dealer Scanner to see the other mileage? Like I said, large gray area. Don't know if I would trust the odometer on any vehicle covered by this app now.
Gregj

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Thinking about ordering this from BAM. My question is it is not saying anything about a core charge. Im at checkout and it's only charging for the cluster and shipping. Is there anyway they would charge me a $500+ core without me knowing?

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
088B251A-BD6A-4B09-9CCD-F23A2567FF94.jpeg
Hereā€™s a final installed pic of mine (painted dash panels & steering wheel bezel). 100% plug and play. Zero issues in the (almost) month since I installed it.
Looks great. How did you remove the bezel from the steering wheel? I took the airbag off and didnt see any screws... TIA

strange

First Name
I am
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I will be doing this swap on my sport plus on Tuesday. Bought a cluster on eBay then switched the dials to Daytona red ones since I already am doing the cluster swap figured might do the dials too. Will post an update once done.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I will be doing this swap on my sport plus on Tuesday. Bought a cluster on eBay then switched the dials to Daytona red ones since I already am doing the cluster swap figured might do the dials too. Will post an update once done.
Where did you get it? Im hunting for one, so far no luck. How would you change the mileage on the cluster?

strange

First Name
I am
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Where did you get it? Im hunting for one, so far no luck. How would you change the mileage on the cluster?
Donā€™t know how many miles are on the cluster so Iā€™ll get to that once itā€™s installed. If itā€™s close to my current mileage I wonā€™t even bother with it. If it is different by a long shot Iā€™ll just keep the original and be transparent with the buyer. I can either put it back in or he can just sign off acknowledging the miles are not accurate. Iā€™m not sure why everyone trips out about having incorrect mileage. You can change the mileage on your car all you want itā€™s not a problem until you misrepresent your miles to another person or a business. I bought it from @chetez on eBay. Judging by his other items it appears he is parting out a gladiator.

strange

First Name
I am
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Alrighty ladies and gents. Results are in. I can confirm as well the clusters are 100% plug and play. I went ahead and did the swap myself and it wasnā€™t as hard as I thought. Took about 45-60 minutes said and done. If you donā€™t have a good set of panel removal tools get them because it helps a lot. I went ahead and did the red dials from US speedo since I was already in there. Said and done this cost me $480 USD with the red dials. And to answer your questions about mileage no it will not sync up with the CPM. My mileage on the new cluster was 3 miles so I assume this cluster came off a Jeep from the train wrecks or was totaled on transport to the dealership. Itā€™s not that big of a deal to have inaccurate miles on your car, I know my mileage and whoever buys it next will know the accurate number too. Thatā€™s all it takes fellas, just some honesty and a document stating it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Instrument Cluster Swap F97F0D6F-6F37-4053-BD81-6831C06FF07D

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
For those of you have that have done the swap ( @Gregj , @strange ) , is the simple version of the Off-Road pages in that cluster available? Does it work correctly as well without any extra add-ons?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of you have that have done the swap ( @Gregj , @strange ) , is the simple version of the Off-Road pages in that cluster available? Does it work correctly as well without any extra add-ons?
Yes the Off Road screen is still in the cluster and works as expected. The Cluster will sync up with the equipment on your Jeep with the noted exception of the mileage. When I first plugged mine in the splash screen was the Rubicon graphic and I scrolled through the gauges and it had the transmission temp gauge (my Jeep is a six speed). The second time I turned it on it switched to the Sport splash and no longer had the automatic trans displays.

A very nice upgrade that gives the dash a premium look.
Gregj
Sponsored