First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Here’s the thing though, jeeps aren’t $50k cars. They’re $27k jeeps with $23k worth of options. The quality of a lot of the little bits and details are going to be the same as the base models.
That’s unacceptable at ANY price point. I have driven a cheap dodge shadow, a crappy ford aspire... the interior buttons were not written in smudge off paint.

This is a very expensive rig options or no. And it is sold as tough, durable, and waterproof... just don’t get water on the buttons or the ink will run. Lolololol. Oh man. If FCA is trying to convince anyone that their propensity for junk quality isn’t in the Jeep this doesn’t help. My kid’s water bottle has his name on it with a sharpie. That makes it through the dishwasher.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
That’s unacceptable at ANY price point. I have driven a cheap dodge shadow, a crappy ford aspire... the interior buttons were not written in smudge off paint.

This is a very expensive rig options or no. And it is sold as tough, durable, and waterproof... just don’t get water on the buttons or the ink will run. Lolololol. Oh man. If FCA is trying to convince anyone that their propensity for junk quality isn’t in the Jeep this doesn’t help. My kid’s water bottle has his name on it with a sharpie. That makes it through the dishwasher.
I guess our priorities are just different.

First of all, the only button I’ve seen people have issues with is the window one. The other controls seem to last just fine; someone can correct me if I’m wrong. It’s very strange and makes me think it’s a weird fluke.

Second, I’ll expand a little on my priorities comment: I’m very much concerned about my Rubicon’s ability to excel off road. That’s what I paid just south of $40k for, and that’s what I would be in an uproar over if it were compromised in a major way. Of course, any system is going to have its weak point(s), places where compromises (to off-roading ability) had to be made in the name of cost or safety. But the quality of the stickers on the automatic windows is not one of those areas that I can even be bothered to care about in the slightest, except to post about on here as an example of something I’m willing to accept compromise on. I’ve said it before- if I could have gotten my Rubicon with roll-up windows and a small traditional key that you put in the ignition, I would have.

Third, if it really bothers you then take it in for a warranty claim- that’s fine! Since I couldn’t care less, I won’t even mention it when I take mine in for a recall or other warranty work. I just don’t care.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i don't have an issue with mine. but then again i have manual windows. couldnt resist.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Wow ! This is a polarizing thread ! Who'd a thunk !
The Jeep is not a quality vehicle . I think everyone knows that. Not sure there should be any expectations. We have been driving Japanese and German cars for years without issue . I am firmly braced for what may lie ahead with 2 FCA products. Hey my $1500 radio hasnt worked since mile 300. Buckle up and hang on.
If this is the mindset it takes to own a Jeep I’m really questioning if I want to go there.
I guess our priorities are just different.

First of all, the only button I’ve seen people have issues with is the window one. The other controls seem to last just fine; someone can correct me if I’m wrong. It’s very strange and makes me think it’s a weird fluke.

Second, I’ll expand a little on my priorities comment: I’m very much concerned about my Rubicon’s ability to excel off road. That’s what I paid just south of $40k for, and that’s what I would be in an uproar over if it were compromised in a major way. Of course, any system is going to have its weak point(s), places where compromises (to off-roading ability) had to be made in the name of cost or safety. But the quality of the stickers on the automatic windows is not one of those areas that I can even be bothered to care about in the slightest, except to post about on here as an example of something I’m willing to accept compromise on. I’ve said it before- if I could have gotten my Rubicon with roll-up windows and a small traditional key that you put in the ignition, I would have.

Third, if it really bothers you then take it in for a warranty claim- that’s fine! Since I couldn’t care less, I won’t even mention it when I take mine in for a recall or other warranty work. I just don’t care.
I totally get you're focus is off road. That said if you just wanted an offroad toy you could buy an old jeep or truck that is bare bones and do some upgrades. The interior might be old and crap, but as you said it's not the priority.

It's a quality thing to me. I don't think you get so cheap on the buttons without getting cheap elsewhere (hence FCA renowned lack of quality). I mean you could make any argument for junk quality and chalk it up to "I buy it to offroad." If the paint is smudged, if the leather peels off the steering wheel, if the radio doesn't work. So many folks defending their jeep which it's great they like it, but if I was the CEO I'd be laughing nonstop that I could put absolute junk into the car and people will still come to it's defense. I liked the straight pipes review where the screen just shut off during the review. I loved my jeep in the 90s. I really want a manual transmission and I like the looks of the new jeep. But I've had lemons. I had a Pontiac that was bought back and I have a Volvo on it's second engine under warranty. Jeep just seems like a hell of a gamble when they can't even get the switches right.

A fully loaded Sahara cost about 5k more than my wife's RDX. Most jeeps, especially sahara's won't go offroad any more than that RDX will... so yeah, being able to smudge the print off of buttons is almost comically cheap. And no... her buttons are just fine. lol.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If this is the mindset it takes to own a Jeep I’m really questioning if I want to go there.

I totally get you're focus is off road. That said if you just wanted an offroad toy you could buy an old jeep or truck that is bare bones and do some upgrades. The interior might be old and crap, but as you said it's not the priority.

It's a quality thing to me. I don't think you get so cheap on the buttons without getting cheap elsewhere (hence FCA renowned lack of quality). I mean you could make any argument for junk quality and chalk it up to "I buy it to offroad." If the pain is smudged, if the leather peels off the steering wheel, if the radio doesn't work. So many folks defending their jeep which it's great they like it, but if I was the CEO I'd be laughing nonstop that I could put absolute junk into the car and people will still come to it's defense. I liked the straight pipes review where the screen just shut off during the review. I loved my jeep in the 90s. I really want a manual transmission and I like the looks of the new jeep. But I've had lemons. I had a Pontiac that was bought back and I have a Volvo on it's second engine under warranty. Jeep just seems like a hell of a gamble when they can't even get the switches right.
Well, I wasn’t 100% clear in that post- what I wanted was the best new off-roading vehicle that, out of the box / from the factory, could also be used to commute comfortably, and was a soft-top convertible, and could have the doors removed easily, and cost less than $40k. My JLR fit that bill. I had a YJ before that fit every category except it was terrible for commuting. A 40-mile round trip commute nearly killed it after a year.

While it’s a fair point that low quality in something as simple as a window switch is a bad omen- I could see it being a source of mistrust about the rest of the vehicle for some people- I do have faith in the Dana axles, the Pentastar, the Aisin transmission, and the A/C to keep me cool in Texas.

I don’t think it’s a bad omen. I don’t think it’s indicative of a lemon. There have been users on here with real lemons and it’s going to happen... it happens to every make and model. If this is your “hot button” (har har) issue, then that’s fine, just have them fix it. If my stereo didn’t work I’d have them fix it (like I did when the on-board compass wasn’t working) but I’ll ignore this issue.

Sponsored

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL)
I’ve owned both an ‘18 and a ‘20 JLUR. My 18 said auto and had no label issues for the 1 yr and 1 mo I owned it. My ‘20 just has the line, no auto. I think it would be interesting to know why they decided to remove it. Doesn’t make sense that they are worried about the labeling, otherwise they would have removed the line also. Weird...

RustyJeep

First Name
Maxim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2 door, manual.
I will have had my JL for a year in two weeks and just over 18k miles. My "AUTO" label just rubbed off the drivers side window switch and is starting to come off the passenger side. That makes me wonder about the rest of the dash. I never have chemicals on my hands so I know it is a manufacturer's defect. Anyone else have the problem and if so has the dealership fixed it?

IMG_20190913_160959.jpg
Mine did too, same here have the JL for about a year now and the label erased. I can’t say it’s a defect, simply because paint and stickers on rubbered surfaces tend to wear off as it is flexible. In the Jeep’s case rubber interior is water resistance, but you already know that. They’d have to infuse the buttons with paint for them to retain it. I kind of like it, less white colors in my black interior. :)

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Just past 20K miles and same issue is occurring. My 20 year old mustang daily driver is just starting to wear & I do work with various chemicals and adhesives and sometimes neglect to wash up before I get home. The Jeep is solely driven by my wife who's in sales so these shouldnt be wearing like they are. As my son says "its a Chrysler"!

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I will have had my JL for a year in two weeks and just over 18k miles. My "AUTO" label just rubbed off the drivers side window switch and is starting to come off the passenger side. That makes me wonder about the rest of the dash. I never have chemicals on my hands so I know it is a manufacturer's defect. Anyone else have the problem and if so has the dealership fixed it?

IMG_20190913_160959.jpg
Jeep has fixed the problem in the 2020 MY - they eliminated the "AUTO" label.

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the thing though, jeeps aren’t $50k cars. They’re $27k jeeps with $23k worth of options. The quality of a lot of the little bits and details are going to be the same as the base models.
Power windows are not included in the base price of $27K, so really this label is included in the $23K worth of options, which one should be allowed to expect higher quality from optional equipment.

Have not noticed an issue with my button labels. I also do not look at the buttons often enough to notice.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
I would care. Sure I know what all the buttons in my car do but having them written with crayon in a 50k car would piss me off.

That’s just embarrassingly bad.
How are they holding up on your JEEP?

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L

I'm pretty sure water isn't the issue or the cause...

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
Well, I wasn’t 100% clear in that post- what I wanted was the best new off-roading vehicle that, out of the box / from the factory, could also be used to commute comfortably, and was a soft-top convertible, and could have the doors removed easily, and cost less than $40k. My JLR fit that bill. I had a YJ before that fit every category except it was terrible for commuting. A 40-mile round trip commute nearly killed it after a year.

While it’s a fair point that low quality in something as simple as a window switch is a bad omen- I could see it being a source of mistrust about the rest of the vehicle for some people- I do have faith in the Dana axles, the Pentastar, the Aisin transmission, and the A/C to keep me cool in Texas.

I don’t think it’s a bad omen. I don’t think it’s indicative of a lemon. There have been users on here with real lemons and it’s going to happen... it happens to every make and model. If this is your “hot button” (har har) issue, then that’s fine, just have them fix it. If my stereo didn’t work I’d have them fix it (like I did when the on-board compass wasn’t working) but I’ll ignore this issue.
He cant have them fix it, that would be impossible "I loved my jeep in the 90s. I really want a manual transmission and I like the looks of the new jeep." HE DOESNT HAVE ONE, BUT DID IN THE '90s.

"If this is the mindset it takes to own a Jeep I’m really questioning if I want to go there."

untitled1.png

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I know it’s odd topic but does any one else wish the widows were auto down and up? I do.
Sponsored