2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Feature.gif

By Steve Garrett
The Jeep world and the offroad community is infatuated with the idea of 'being sponsored'. The subject seems to come up in every other conversation. Personally, I have never held the goal of obtaining sponsorship, but I'm not one to ignore the sound of opportunity knocking, either. When I was contacted by Offroad Addiction (ORA) in Oklahoma City out of the blue and offered a full build sponsorship, my excitement was palpable. I knew enough about these arrangements, though, to know that I needed to slow down and proceed carefully. A successful sponsorship is a business partnership that is mutually beneficial and requires effort from all parties; it isn't just about free parts. With that in mind, my wife and I spent a few weeks talking with the shop, praying, meeting the owners and their team, praying, talking it over with each other, praying, establishing clear expectations, and praying some more. This isn't something to be entered into haphazardly, but after doing the due diligence, we knew it was the right move for us and we were not disappointed.

This is going to be a quick rundown of what the build entailed, but we'll do more specific coverage of the individual products in the future. Overall, the goal is to build an extremely capable overlanding and camping rig that will support my family of four on multi-day road trips and adventures. The main goal of this particular phase of the build was to upgrade the suspension and bumpers and to showcase the custom fabrication capabilities of the team at Offroad Addiction!

To that end, Offroad Addiction custom designed and fabricated a 4-link long-arm control arm setup. The control arms are 2" DOM steel with 0.25" wall thickness, and utilize Ballistic high-misalignment rod-ends. The factory frame side control arm bracketry was removed to make way for custom 3/16" plate steel brackets welded in for added strength and suspension flex while maintaining a low center-of-gravity. To compliment the control arms, we chose Teraflex Falcon 3.3 Series adjustable piggyback reservoir shocks, Teraflex 4.5" springs, Teraflex Speedbumps, SteerSmarts Yeti XD Draglink/Tie Rod/Front Trackbar, and Metalcloak sway bar links and rear trackbar. This suspension is kind-of a frankenstein setup, but it ROCKS!! On-road handling and ride is better than the Metalcloak Game Changer setup I had before, and so is the off-road performance. This thing flexes for days and stays very stable while off-camber due to the low center-of-gravity control arm design.

05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

Offroad Addiction also designed and fabricated the front and rear bumpers. Both are fabricated from 3/16" plate steel, and are expertly crafted. For the front bumper, I wanted a stubby for max approach angle, but I wanted to maintain use of the fog lights, with through-welded shackle tabs, and a strong winch mount. ORA nailed all of my requirements and did it with style, even including a lower skid plate for the factory electronic sway bar disconnect motor. In the rear, I again wanted through-welded shackle tabs, but also wanted to maintain use of the parking sensors, maintain factory tow-hitch compatibility, and match the lines of the fender flares while protecting the corner of the tub and again, ORA nailed it. The bumper does everything I need it to do and looks great doing it.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Check out the two videos below for an interview with Offroad Addiction Vice President and Lead Fabricator Rob Young, as well as the official build reveal announcement! And as always, stay tuned for more!!

Offroad%20AddictionSM.png

Offroad Addiction
2925 Broadway court
Edmond, OK 73013, USA

https://www.offroadaddiction.net/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I want an update on those BFG tires. I bet they are great.
Hey!

Yeah, the BFG KM2s performed very well. Where I wheel in OK, we have a lot of sharp rock, and these tires held up to that abuse very well.

I have since switched to set of Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires, but that had nothing to do with the performance of the BFGs. I highly recommend them.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome rig man. Great articles too
Thanks! Although I can't take credit for the fourwheeler.com article, I didn't write that one.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed the Kinsmen Hardware Rapid Deploy Awning. Solid gear. Review article coming soon to www.c4x4.com
IMG_20191122_174402_378.jpg

IMG_20191122_174402_375.jpg

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for being quiet for so long! Y'all know it's been a crazy summer, and on top of that I transferred to a new job in a new town and we built a house, so I haven't had a ton of time for jeeping stuff. But I just found out yesterday that #projectswampcat is getting a full feature in FourWheeler Magazine in the upcoming December 2020 issue! Did a two hour interview with the magazine yesterday covering all the build details, and they've posted a little teaser article on their website. Check it out!

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/2018-jeep-wrangler-overland/
Sponsored