No throttle in 8th gear.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Not sure if this is normal or not. I have 35s on my 3.6 sport with automatic. I have not reflashed the computer or done anything to calibrate it for the 35s.

I took a trip this weekend. I noticed while on cruise control at 75mph (gps indicated) the transmission was in 7th gear, which I expected from reading post on this site.

Just to try it out I put the transmission in manual mode and shifted into 8th. On its own the jeep slowed to 67ish while the cruise was still set.

I then turned the cruise off when back to automatic mode and got back to 75. Then shifted back to 8th. The jeep again began to slow down. I tried to give throttle to maintain 75, but there was no response.

I assume this is from having 35s and no changes to the calibration. I read of people saying it never shifted to 8th anymore after 35s until they re calibrated, but I thought it was wierd it would not let me maintain 75 when manually shifting to 8th.

I do plan to by a tazer, or maybe just have the dealership re calibrate it for 35s soon.

Thanks

James
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
You didn't say if you were on level roads or up/down hill, but at 75 mph the engine should have enough torque to maintain speed, but if you were going up hill in manual mode locked in 8th it may not be able to maintain that speed.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Are the 35’s new? You probably shouldn’t use cruise control, until the computer relearns the shift points and everything. You can’t flash that.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
You should re-gear.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Also have this issue, I just don’t use it and once road conditions and what else is right mine will see 8th and stay in there until I need to pass or what not

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Too Much Tire for the stock gear. You need to rehear or you will continue to lug in overdrive.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Not a good idea to load the engine like that - it’s not going to 8th for a reason. I’d regear or just write off 8th gear for the time being.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
you need to regear you have a Sport with 3.45 gears. regear to at least 4.10 maybe 3.77 and you will get your 8th gear back.

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im going to see how it does once I get it flashed for 35s. It drives and accelerates great, I only looked into why it was not going into 8th because of what I read here. I understand it being too high of a gear with the 35s, what I thought was strange was there was no throttle response, like none, not sluggish, not bogged down, im saying none, like the computer was not allowing me to give it any throttle to maintain that speed. I understand 8th is too high for 35s, I was just seeing if anyone else had that happen as I had not read anything about the throttle not working at all in that situation.

Thanks

James

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was level ground, and I have had the 35s for a little over a month I think, maybe two.

Sponsored

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
35's on 4.10 were too much on my 2dr Rubi (tried my friends set for 2 wks). Any throttle and it would drop to 6th or 7th, slight wind and it will not keep 8th too

I live in Kuwait which is all flat roads and highways

On a stock Sport it is definitely under geared

4.56 or 4.88 is what you need

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35's on 4.10 were too much on my 2dr Rubi (tried my friends set for 2 wks). Any throttle and it would drop to 6th or 7th, slight wind and it will not keep 8th too

I live in Kuwait which is all flat roads and highways

On a stock Sport it is definitely under geared

4.56 or 4.88 is what you need

Yeah, I understand the issue with the gearing, what seemed strange is that it seemed like there was no power, as in zero, as if the computer was not allowing any throttle. It was not acting sluggish or bogged down like if you are in too high of a gear, it was like the gas pedal was deactivated. Wierd, I was just wondering if that happened to anyone else.

James

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Yeah, I understand the issue with the gearing, what seemed strange is that it seemed like there was no power, as in zero, as if the computer was not allowing any throttle. It was not acting sluggish or bogged down like if you are in too high of a gear, it was like the gas pedal was deactivated. Wierd, I was just wondering if that happened to anyone else.

James
Calibrate and see what happens

Should solve this

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
I just put 285/75R17 (34”) on my sport turbo and basically lost 8th gear on the interstate. Will be re-gearing to 4.56 next month.

onesight1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2010 Genesis Coupe RSPEC, K7 GSXR, B2 Bandit
I just put 285/75R17 (34”) on my sport turbo and basically lost 8th gear on the interstate. Will be re-gearing to 4.56 next month.

this is my first jeep, and I left it stock for like 1 week, so it's hard to compare to what it should be.

I too notice i never really hit 8th gear on highway....even at 75

i have 2" puck spacer lift, 18"s and 35"s on 2018 2.0T.... I am not flashed so my speedo is off by 5MPH

please make a thread about it- hopefully I can remember to find it when the time comes for me.
as of now, ill read up on what I can find
Sponsored