First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
IT Administrator
Okay guys I apologize in advance if this information is anywhere and I have overlooked it. After going through several dozen pages of search results I cannot find anywhere that shows which FCA vehicle models where the radios will fit in our JL's. I have a JLUS and would like to go from the 5" radio to the 8.4" radio and I cant imagine that other models wont work in these Jeeps. I know that the mounting bracket around the radio would need to be modified which I am okay with. Can anyone give me a hand with this. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
you can upgrade to a 7 or 8.4 its really easy look in the uconnect forum

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
Thanks guys. I know this thing can be upgraded and you can swap out the manual hvac controls for the auto ones if you use one of the tuners or Infotainment’s solution. But what years and models of FCA vehicles can I actually use the radios from?

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
there is a device that plugs in before the radio that will let your computer talk to any after market radio and display all car info on the new radio. so if you are looking at an aftermarket radio skies the limit on what you can put in there and its a double din slot so everything will fit.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The radio from the Grand Cherokee will fit, as you said the mounting bracket will need to be adapted and you might lose the back-up camera since not all of the connections will be the same.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
unless you go with a Jeep JL 2018- any other Jeep model 2018 or higher like the Cherokee you would have to modify the mounting points

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
Thanks guys. I am looking for something stock that works in the new Wranglers and doesnt have the crazy high mark up that is currently on the stock headunit for our Jeeps.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
7' radio from 2019 Cherokee looks almost identical except mounting points and one connector been blue and not light brown color. 2019 Challenger UConnect 8.4 looks identical to jeep except mounting.

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
7' radio from 2019 Cherokee looks almost identical except mounting points and one connector been blue and not light brown color. 2019 Challenger UConnect 8.4 looks identical to jeep except mounting.
Thanks for that! I’ll check those out right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
Alright guys for anyone that has knowledge of these radio systems, does anyone know if the radio with the model number being VP2RFP will work in the JL's?

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
The radio from the Grand Cherokee will fit, as you said the mounting bracket will need to be adapted and you might lose the back-up camera since not all of the connections will be the same.
So I’ve picked up a 7” from an 18 Grand Cherokee. I’ve got the 5” right now. What on the bracket needs to be adapted, as I'm apparently pretty bad at this. I could really use some help here. Thank you!

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize that you lose all ability to upgrade the software on the unit, your USB ports probably will not work (for sure USB2 won't), it may or may not screw up some of your factory settings if you don't have the exact same configuration that the source vehicle had, and on and on, and that it will be totally unsupported by FCA? I wanted to upgrade but after reading all of the problems folks were having I'll put my money into the bank and wait for a really good aftermarket to come out. My opinion, take it for what it's worth, and that probably ain't all that much. :)

PS: Read this thread. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...upgraded-it-yourself.36869/page-2#post-850046

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
You do realize that you lose all ability to upgrade the software on the unit, your USB ports probably will not work (for sure USB2 won't), it may or may not screw up some of your factory settings if you don't have the exact same configuration that the source vehicle had, and on and on, and that it will be totally unsupported by FCA? I wanted to upgrade but after reading all of the problems folks were having I'll put my money into the bank and wait for a really good aftermarket to come out. My opinion, take it for what it's worth, and that probably ain't all that much. :)

PS: Read this thread. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...upgraded-it-yourself.36869/page-2#post-850046
My reasoning to try to change the 5'' radio to bigger compatible non wrangler unit:
1. Way cheaper than wrangler 7" and 8.4" units
2. According to most of the threads that I read it picks up the programming from the jeep, so it should not interfere with my current options.
3. I already know that carplay works with USB1 with 2019 grand Cherokee 7" uinit, and that's the only thing I really care about, don't need nav or sat radio.
4. If I need to visit a dealer it takes less than 10 minutes to install original unit, feels like it takes more time to unmerry and remove a Tazer unit.
5. If something changes and it no longer supports my new phone, its really easy to sell with no or minimal money loss.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
So, I got my 7” from the 2018 Grand Cherokee installed (thank you Dremel) and it works really well. The only thing I’ve really lost is the backup camera. What’s odd about it, is that there’s no connection for the camera. Where the hell do the cameras connect on a 2018 GC?

E0F1E6DC-037B-4696-80C0-57687F7D9241.jpeg
Sponsored