Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Is it okay to tap into the black wire for ground? I already tapped into the front accessory for power.

I want to run one more wire for dual USB chagers to the rear center console. I was wondering if that's okay and how many wires can I run from that front cigarette lighter?
It really depends on how many amps are being drawn from the same power source, as you don't want to overload any circuit. Check the manual to see how many amps the accessory fuse can handle, and ensure the combined power requirements of your add-ons fall below that. I don't recommend using a larger fuse!

The good news is the fuse should blow if you stress it. SHOULD.

I wouldn't recommend using that ground. The Jeep has dedicated grounding bolts all over (especially on the outer most area of the front foot wells).

Hope that's helpful!

PS: If you have the mfg. installed AUX Switches, it provides two dedicated 12V power wires, in addition to the AUX's switched wiring. Assuming you don't want that particular device on a switch, these are the most recommended accessory power sources.

Link to @Marlene's AUX Wiring post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...cable-color-code-wiring-identification.13026/
Sponsored

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
Got my install complete.

PAC Amppro R2
JL 10w3 in custom box
Rockford Punch P400x
Rockford t750x1bd
Focal ISN100 4” component set

Still waiting for the rear speakers
Audison 4” AP4
JL 3.5 C2

Install was pretty straightforward with the Pac Amppro. Take apart the dash plug in the harness. Run speaker wire and RCAs to amp. Hook up power and ground. The pac Amppro also has a pig tail harness so running wires was a breeze and tapping or splicing required. Just used butt connectors and lots of speaker wire. Also has a dedicated remote turn on and bass knob for sub RCA output.

I ended up putting the rca box in behind the glovebox since that was the only spot it could fit. Ran all the wiring underneath the seat. Had to take out the center console but that wasn’t too bad. One of the plugs underneath the seat is a complete bitch to unplug. But other than smooth sailing. Also I’ve probably done 3 installs and never a 4 channel. So I’m not a pro by any means.

Sounds pretty good. Overall I’m happy with the sound. I’m sure it will get a little better upgrading the rear speakers from the stocks.

038632D6-92A1-423E-9E3A-94C072050429.jpeg

87DFE992-B8D8-4509-9EE0-2A826A5B77C6.jpeg

36C0519E-5A1B-4BD6-9475-5CAC5F79DCB3.jpeg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Got my install complete.

PAC Amppro R2
JL 10w3 in custom box
Rockford Punch P400x
Rockford t750x1bd
Focal ISN100 4” component set

Still waiting for the rear speakers
Audison 4” AP4
JL 3.5 C2

Install was pretty straightforward with the Pac Amppro. Take apart the dash plug in the harness. Run speaker wire and RCAs to amp. Hook up power and ground. The pac Amppro also has a pig tail harness so running wires was a breeze and tapping or splicing required. Just used butt connectors and lots of speaker wire. Also has a dedicated remote turn on and bass knob for sub RCA output.

I ended up putting the rca box in behind the glovebox since that was the only spot it could fit. Ran all the wiring underneath the seat. Had to take out the center console but that wasn’t too bad. One of the plugs underneath the seat is a complete bitch to unplug. But other than smooth sailing. Also I’ve probably done 3 installs and never a 4 channel. So I’m not a pro by any means.

Sounds pretty good. Overall I’m happy with the sound. I’m sure it will get a little better upgrading the rear speakers from the stocks.

038632D6-92A1-423E-9E3A-94C072050429.jpeg

87DFE992-B8D8-4509-9EE0-2A826A5B77C6.jpeg

36C0519E-5A1B-4BD6-9475-5CAC5F79DCB3.jpeg

Nice. So the speaker wires that go to amp connect to the added pigtail you connect to PAC right?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
By any chance did you jot down the speaker color codes. The reason I ask is because the jeeps have 8 speakers but there are only 4 pairs there. I need to wire up the Top DASH ones and the 4" sound Bar ones. The others I will leave as just fill. I'm still debating on how I will tackle that.

Sponsored

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
By any chance did you jot down the speaker color codes. The reason I ask is because the jeeps have 8 speakers but there are only 4 pairs there. I need to wire up the Top DASH ones and the 4" sound Bar ones. The others I will leave as just fill. I'm still debating on how I will tackle that.
White is LF. Grey is RF. Green is LR. Purple is RR

To do that you’d probably have to run new wires directly to the amp. I’m not sure how you can individual speakers to the amp and not the whole channel.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
White is LF. Grey is RF. Green is LR. Purple is RR

To do that you’d probably have to run new wires directly to the amp. I’m not sure how you can individual speakers to the amp and not the whole channel.
Thanks. I think I got it. BTW love your sub box. Did you make it or you had someone do it? I'm going to try and tackle something exactly like that with 3/4" MDF and use my shallow mount JL Audio 10".

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
Thanks. I think I got it. BTW love your sub box. Did you make it or you had someone do it? I'm going to try and tackle something exactly like that with 3/4" MDF and use my shallow mount JL Audio 10".
A guy i know did it. He fiberglassed the rear so there are a lot of contours and then did the wood frame.

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
A guy i know did it. He fiberglassed the rear so there are a lot of contours and then did the wood frame.

Firediver

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18JLU
Anyone use the pac 41? I have all aftermarket speakers and sub. Kicker amps and was using lci2. Everything loud crisp and great. Problem was I lose my Bluetooth phone option. I bought the pac so I could get that back and was stating to hook it up but looked more at the wiring install and I’m back to where I was. Cutting the wires behind the radio. 5” base radio by the way. No Alpine. And I’m assuming I would loose the phone option. 1st I guess why am I losing my phone option? And will the pac 41 help or do I need the upgraded version?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Anyone use the pac 41? I have all aftermarket speakers and sub. Kicker amps and was using lci2. Everything loud crisp and great. Problem was I lose my Bluetooth phone option. I bought the pac so I could get that back and was stating to hook it up but looked more at the wiring install and I’m back to where I was. Cutting the wires behind the radio. 5” base radio by the way. No Alpine. And I’m assuming I would loose the phone option. 1st I guess why am I losing my phone option? And will the pac 41 help or do I need the upgraded version?
If you don’t have factory amplified premium system you need the new R2 version of PAC adapter.

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
If you don’t have factory amplified premium system you need the new R2 version of PAC adapter.
I concur. I had the the original from my Ram with the alpine. The harness will fit
I had the original PAC from my Ram with the alpine. It will physically connect to the radio but the software and stuff will not work with the non-alpine units. So I had to buy the new version.

jadriano24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Back in July, I basically followed StingNC's guide step by step (thank you by the way) & installed the following: JL 3.5's inches in the dash, JL 4 inches in the soundbar being powered by a JL RD400 4 channel. I have a 7 inch non alpine system radio with resistors tied into the speaker wire going to a JL audio Fix 86 and RCA's out to amp.

Everything worked fine and did so for months. I am in NJ and these past few mornings, it has been colder. When I turn the car on first thing in the morning, only 1 speaker works.When this happened, I assumed for whatever reason the radio is not seeing the resistors and is only turning 1 channel open.

However, after 15 minutes of the car running, turning the unit completely off and letting it reset. I turn the car back on and all speakers work again.

Happened the past two mornings and works fine in the afternoons. Has anyone come across this before or have an idea of a solution?

I haven't tested it yet but I thought about turning the radio completely off at night. Remote starting the vehicle in the morning, let it run for 10 minutes and then power the radio on but I am all ears and open to suggestions to not have to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Back in July, I basically followed StingNC's guide step by step (thank you by the way) & installed the following: JL 3.5's inches in the dash, JL 4 inches in the soundbar being powered by a JL RD400 4 channel. I have a 7 inch non alpine system radio with resistors tied into the speaker wire going to a JL audio Fix 86 and RCA's out to amp.

Everything worked fine and did so for months. I am in NJ and these past few mornings, it has been colder. When I turn the car on first thing in the morning, only 1 speaker works.When this happened, I assumed for whatever reason the radio is not seeing the resistors and is only turning 1 channel open.

However, after 15 minutes of the car running, turning the unit completely off and letting it reset. I turn the car back on and all speakers work again.

Happened the past two mornings and works fine in the afternoons. Has anyone come across this before or have an idea of a solution?

I haven't tested it yet but I thought about turning the radio completely off at night. Remote starting the vehicle in the morning, let it run for 10 minutes and then power the radio on but I am all ears and open to suggestions to not have to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Could be several things; however, the first thing I'd recommend is checking your battery terminals. If they are even the slightest bit loose, they can wreak havoc on electronics. The hot/cold issue you're describing kinda' fits that scenario.

I generally recommend checking/changing one thing at a time so you don't fix one thing and cause something else to happen with another. If you check your battery terminals, tighten them and nothing changes, next check your fuse box. Make sure all of your fuses are snug. Most of mine were loose.

If that doesn't work, and this is the tedious one, trace your wires, and ensure you have a solid crimp/solder joint in all places. I used to use the bend a wire and electrical tape method of joining wires when I was younger. I also spent way too much time checking connectivity issues. Soldering and heat shrinking is primarily what I do now, but regardless of which method you've used, re-check everything and enhance/strengthen each connection.

I'm hoping it's just your battery terminals, and I wish you much luck and a speedy resolution. Keep us posted!
Sponsored