Sponsored

Pulling the trigger on a spacer lift today got a few questions?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Going to buy spacer lift today but not sure about a few things:

• 2" or 2.5"
  • TeraFlex or Rough country.
  • Will a 2.5 change my geometry? will it ride the same, (I like the way it rides right now)?
  • How large & wide of a tire can I put on with a 2.5 lift.
  • How much does it usually cost to get installed in the NE/NY. I do not have the time to do this myself.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
To your last point, have you already spoken to an installer?

A lot of shops may be more friendly/cooperative/comfortable if you buy the parts from them. Some simply won't install "customer supplied" parts.

The upside of buying from them is then the whole thing is their baby. If problems arise they can't point the finger at "your parts"

Have you tried to find a local member who might help? This is a simple install.

I'd consider adjustable track bars to center your axles under the vehicle

I'd probably lean toward Teraflex 'cause they make really nice stuff. That said RC quality seems acceptable and it ain't hard to build round hockey pucks.

Your ride won't change unless you experience some bump steer. I'd take that as it comes.

Tire size no one can really answer. Depends on the tire and wheel combo and how much bump stop you wanna run

alingo2001

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I did the AEV 2" spacer lift and it comes with a programmer to recalibrate for tires, gear ratio, and transfer case ratio. Took me 4 hours one morning.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I did the AEV 2" spacer lift and it comes with a programmer to recalibrate for tires, gear ratio, and transfer case ratio. Took me 4 hours one morning.
What size tires are you running now?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I spoke to a place near me today they are recommending AVE over Rough Country and Teraflex. Said Rough country is bottom of the barrel.
Also quoted me a price of about $1100 installed for the AVEs. I don't have the time to do this myself and no idea what is fair. Any recommendations on which to get:

AVE
Tera Flex
Rough Country

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I went with the RC 2.5 lift and I am happy with it. My ride feels the same as before. Eventually I will get a more comprehensive lift but for now, I am happy with the $200 cost for the lift for better looks and the increased ground clearance off road. Did the install myself. Its a spacer lift at the end of the day, how fancy does it need to be?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I spoke to a place near me today they are recommending AVE over Rough Country and Teraflex. Said Rough country is bottom of the barrel.
Also quoted me a price of about $1100 installed for the AVEs. I don't have the time to do this myself and no idea what is fair. Any recommendations on which to get:

AVE
Tera Flex
Rough Country
I think RC is near the bottom of the barrel but, again, what they're doing here isn't aerospace.

What exactly is the AEV kit getting you for that price? $1100 feels really high for a spacer lift but if that's quality shocks and at least one track bar, maybe that's fair. If it includes LCA's that feels better yet

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The AEV spacer kit contains less than the Rough Country kit and is $200 more.

AEV $399
RC $179-199 (vendor price varies)

Many people are running the RC kit on this forum and love it. RC has had issues with spring sag but you are not using their springs.

I'd look for another shop.

$399 for the kit means they are charging you $701 in labor for something that can easily be done in less than 2 hours at a shop.

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice
I did the Teraflex 1.5 Spacer kit. 4 Whee Parts did my spacer kit and my BFG KO2's 33's and they Matched Teraflex website price of $160 for Kit. They charged 200 for install of Spacer kit was all. They recommended to Realign Steering wheel and front end after Tires and Lift. $75 for that.
Teraflex 1.5 spacer kit lifts Factory Rake off with 2.0 inches and 1.5 Rear. Better fit for new 33's and Off-road.
Sponsored