First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
... patiently waiting for the fanboys to chime in all pissed off at the Blue Oval because everyone knows that Jeep did it first and best, and Ford death wobble can’t possibly be real death wobble.

morleyz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
My non-Jeep happens to be a 2017 F250. Participating in the Ford forums...Seems "death wobble" happens a lot to lifted or big tire upgrades. Few complaints from stock setups. It'll be interesting to see how this lawsuit turns out.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
I had an 08 f350 diesel completely stock, it did it on almost every bump. It also make an insanely loud whistle when under load (towing my 38 foot toy hauler). They flew out a tech and I took him for a drive and he acknowledged both, keep the truck for over a month. Got it back, first drive it still had a death wobble, hooked up the trailer and it still whistled. Many times back to the dealer, many days of no truck........ I now have a GMC. The new fords look pretty good

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Haha. I just got rid of my F250 on 37’s. Jeep could learn a thing or two about death wobble from Ford. That thing was terrible. But I probably lifted it too much and didn’t follow up with the proper suspension upgrades. Wait a minute....maybe that’s it?! LOL

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Just another group of lawyers getting rich and forcing the price of future vehicles to rise.

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
I have a 17' f250 deleted diesel on 37s with a Carli suspension and I've never experienced even a hint of death wobble. It drives significantly better than my JL.

It's the most badass truck I've ever been in and I drove them all. Haters are gonna hate but Ford knocked it out of the park with the newest generation of super duty. The others are playing catch up plain and simple.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Anyone know if that generation of SD's were all Solid front axle? Just curious. I thought I read some are and some aren't, but I have no idea which ones. Would love to know. I had someone telling me in a Jeep group that Jeep would have to switch to IFS to cure death wobble and that there was no reason other than rock crawling to run solid axles.

Related: Same guy claimed "My Wrangler would never keep up with my old Tacoma at any kind of off roading event" pointing mostly to IFS. I pointed out to him Ultra4, Jeepspeed, and even Monster Trucks as examples of Solid axle vehicle based off road competitions and while there are IFS vehicles in Ultra4 and it does have it's applications, I'm guessing neither his Jeep or his old Tacoma were doing any of those.

He didn't have anything else to say after that.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know if that generation of SD's were all Solid front axle? Just curious. I thought I read some are and some aren't, but I have no idea which ones. Would love to know. I had someone telling me in a Jeep group that Jeep would have to switch to IFS to cure death wobble and that there was no reason other than rock crawling to run solid axles.

Related: Same guy claimed "My Wrangler would never keep up with my old Tacoma at any kind of off roading event" pointing mostly to IFS. I pointed out to him Ultra4, Jeepspeed, and even Monster Trucks as examples of Solid axle vehicle based off road competitions and while there are IFS vehicles in Ultra4 and it does have it's applications, I'm guessing neither his Jeep or his old Tacoma were doing any of those.

He didn't have anything else to say after that.
Since 99, all Super Duty 4x4s are Solid Front Axle. I think in 05, they switched to Coui Springs in front from the Leaf Springs. The 99+ 2wd Super Duty trucks are Twin I Beam front ends, even today, surprisingly. Pre Super Duty Old Body Style 4x4 F250s were Twin Traction Beam fronts while OBS 4x4 F350s were SFA. OBS 2wd were Twin I Beam.

No death wobble on my old 01 Super Duty F250 Lariat Power Stroke although the steering has always been vague. 233K miles and going strong. My son and I took it for a 230mile trip yesterday.
20190907_144850.jpg

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Death wobble or some reasonable facimile is a solid axle thing. Find any make/model vehicle with a solid front axle and you'll find cases of it. Just look on any forum. Of course, it happens much more often when there is lifting or suspension modification, and there are none more modified in more ways than those of Jeeps.

The thing is, though, it can be cured. It just sometimes takes effort. It is all about Physics and Math. Gotta get it right within the envelope on all the variables. That's why it is sometimes so hard to fix.

I wouldn't bash any manufacturer making solid front axles over this, unless there was a specific quality or design issue. Even then, they'd be on the hunt for a fix.

I'm sure YJ's had some death wobble episodes, but I feel like there weren't nearly as many. I wonder if that old leaf spring setup had a real advantage in this respect. Of course, it rode like a log wagon, so there's the big disadvantage, Lol!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Death wobble or some reasonable facimile is a solid axle thing. Find any make/model vehicle with a solid front axle and you'll find cases of it. Just look on any forum. Of course, it happens much more often when there is lifting or suspension modification, and there are none more modified in more ways than those of Jeeps.

The thing is, though, it can be cured. It just sometimes takes effort. It is all about Physics and Math. Gotta get it right within the envelope on all the variables. That's why it is sometimes so hard to fix.

I wouldn't bash any manufacturer making solid front axles over this, unless there was a specific quality or design issue. Even then, they'd be on the hunt for a fix.

I'm sure YJ's had some death wobble episodes, but I feel like there weren't nearly as many. I wonder if that old leaf spring setup had a real advantage in this respect. Of course, it rode like a log wagon, so there's the big disadvantage, Lol!
Yeah, I tried telling the dude that. When he said it was impossible on IFS vehicles I showed him an article from Truck Trend talking about Death wobble in IFS vehicles that have been modified. Sadly one of the prevalent things in that group is complaining about or giving incorrect advice on how to fix Death Wobble. For everyone who tries, there are 10 who just post useless and incorrect answers or opinions and this dude was one of them.

Re: DW in YJ's: Part of it could also be that when the YJ's were still new and experiencing DW, the internet wasn't as big of a thing, so info didn't travel as fast

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I tried telling the dude that. When he said it was impossible on IFS vehicles I showed him an article from Truck Trend talking about Death wobble in IFS vehicles that have been modified. Sadly one of the prevalent things in that group is complaining about or giving incorrect advice on how to fix Death Wobble. For everyone who tries, there are 10 who just post useless and incorrect answers or opinions and this dude was one of them.

Re: DW in YJ's: Part of it could also be that when the YJ's were still new and experiencing DW, the internet wasn't as big of a thing, so info didn't travel as fast
Lol, yeah, we still had pay phones back when I bought my YJ! Lol!
Sponsored