Adaptive Cruise Control/ Forward Collision yes-no

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Had to do the same thing. It is sad because we all love the freedom our cars provide us at times.
Sponsored

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Taking away my father-in-laws keys was crushing. But he was a danger to himself and everyone around him.
And new "safety" tech is not a reason to let him keep driving.

theHunter

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR-LE, 2019 F-250, 2011 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1997 TJ SE, 1995 F150, 1979 Corvette
Got it on my LE, never had it before on any other vehicles so I was very skeptical of the ability to react fast enough for me. I was impressed and now use it most of the time, there is still times that I do not wait for it to react, it gets a little too close sometimes for my comfort. I like it for stop and go traffic all I have to worry about is someone trying to jump in front of me. I would get it if ordering.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
And new "safety" tech is not a reason to let him keep driving.
Agreed. Like I said earlier, the safety tech is great if you're already an attentive driver.

As someone who voluntarily gave up my license for a few years due to an injury, I say take 'em away.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@Kjm18 &
Love the 'safety junk' comment. You do realize this technology is far smarter and faster than you? Darwin Award candidate here at some point.
I think that's @WXman 's point... You can drive with no brain and let the computer fix all your mistakes 99% of the time...
Or you can drive safer than you need to, because while its true a human cannot react, shift or brake as fast as a computer a human driving safe, focused and engaged will always be overly safe, cautious, defensive and make better decisions than an AI driving.

With nanny's "Driving" gets better, but "Drivers" get worse.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
facts don't care about your feelings, backup cameras have saved a lot of lives.

I like some safety tech, however I still ordered a Manual with no AAC or FCW.
With or with out safety tech, drive focused or don't drive at all.

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
When I bought my JT it felt like I was paying $1000 for something I’d never use. Once I figured the ACC out, haven’t turn on the normal CC since. Like the other poster said, once using it you will never go back. After my highway windshield rock chip, I have the ACC range maxed out to the most distance to avoid another rock on the highway.

Last edited:

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Big yes from me. I don’t like relying on a single point of failure when it comes to safety if I can avoid it, and people are likely to be that point.

I still drive like it’s not there for sudden slow-downs, but the ACC takes so much of the fiddling about out of highway driving, especially if you’re not in a hurry to get somewhere and want to be passing everyone. We got it in my wife’s Subaru last year and I’ve been jealous ever since (lane assist on that thing neither of us could stand though).

I will say I’ve had it be a bit aggressive on the slowdown when I’m coming up on a slow truck and go to pass, but I think part of that is I’m a jackass and get too close before I get over in the passing lane, and should probably stop doing that.

I’ve had the Collision warning light/sound go off on me once, when I was approaching a right turn lane that opened up just before the stopped car in front of me, I can’t really blame it because if I wasn’t already planning on turning suddenly, I would have had to slam on my brakes. Much like the ACC issue I had it’s due to a bad driving habit that I should correct going forward.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... If you're not paying attention to the Gladiator, you're gonna end up in a ditch somewhere anyway....
I'm here to attest that can happen in a Wrangler, too (couple weeks ago on Grand Mesa, CO) ...

?temp_hash=41d4d47651024d9aa9d7cf2119e9c8b8.jpg

Video here (11:52 if not forwarded ...):

I do intend to order all of the various safety systems once Gobi is released for ordering. Another remark about "older people" also struck home: I turn 70 in a few days. :)

Image1.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Love the 'safety junk' comment. You do realize this technology is far smarter and faster than you? Darwin Award candidate here at some point.
Who's the Darwin Award candidate? The guy who avoids this junk, or the guy who gets killed because he expected a circuit board to save his life while he wasn't paying attention to the road?

First time a vehicle with advanced safety features hits me, I will hire lawyers and sue for every single thing I can get.

To summarize: Get rid of the safety junk. Either DRIVE your truck, or CALL a taxi.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Seems about half today's drivers don't actually want to be 'drivers' they would rather be passengers who happen to be in the driver's position.
That's fine, until all the nanny-stuff is mandated. (Rest assured it Is coming)
Hang on to those old vehicles people-

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Who's the Darwin Award candidate? The guy who avoids this junk, or the guy who gets killed because he expected a circuit board to save his life while he wasn't paying attention to the road?

First time a vehicle with advanced safety features hits me, I will hire lawyers and sue for every single thing I can get.

To summarize: Get rid of the safety junk. Either DRIVE your truck, or CALL a taxi.
I get what you're saying, but you're thinking is too old school. I agree the technology is too early to actually depend on, it's really meant to compliment the driver. Yes, once in awhile this technology can save lives, but again it cannot be depend on. Give about another 12 to 15 years when every single car is on a network communicating with each other and 100% autonomous. They will be far superior than any human driving.

When you get hit by someone with another vehicle, it's your right to sue every single penny you can get, if you choose to do so. However, I highly doubt you'll get any more than what you're compensated for just because they have tech features.

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Have seen discussions where some chose not to go with Adaptive Cruise due to amount of window space it takes up.
Some questioned the sensitivity, making it more of a pain to have.

I am trying to decide if I add it today or not.

Did you add it to your Gladiator?
I did order it since it came on the LE or intended to with an order of a Rubicon. I would NOT order it again. I would leave most of that crap off my Jeep. Being my first daily driver and new Jeep I thought I wanted all that stuff plus anything else I could order to be "Fully Loaded". I couldn't wrap my head around the Sport S with Max tow builds but now at 9000 miles on Vlad, it is all becoming much more clear to me!

Lit of things I wouldn't order next time:

1. Adaptive Cruise
2. The advanced safety package - braking stuff, blind spot stuff etc......
3. Front camera

It would be much more of an Ala Carte kinda order and then I would backfill in after market what ever else I needed like the two things I have added that are pretty much must have - iDrive Throttle controller (YES YES YES!) and the TazerJL mini. Great option but not versed enough to have it set right and the way I want. Many great things about it but I have also had a few kinks.

My 2 cents.....

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition

Save yourself the embarrassment and stop posting.

Rafael's Jive

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Scrambler, 09 WRX, 17 Forester, and to many bicycles
When ever I get a rental car in the US, I turn on all of the safety systems as they are an aid when you are driving an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar area.

I was not going to order the FCW and ACC on my Gladiator as it will not be a DD. I wasn't aware that there is an insurance discount. That will be something I will now need to consider.

My biggest concern with the safety systems in the Gladiator was how integrated they are into the vehicle and how that integration would complicate modifications and maintenance in the future. Can someone with those safety systems in a current wrangler speak to how modifications (aftermarket bumpers, a transmission swap, axle swaps, etc.) and maintenance (can you do your own brakes without a code scanner?) are affected by ACC and FCW? Thanks?

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I am old school with this stuff, too, but the safety features are worth it. You'll get an insurance discount and they may actually prevent you from being hurt someday.

True story: My wife was driving along on a random Saturday afternoon about 6 weeks ago with my 6 year old son in the back seat when some jackwagon tried to make a left in front of her with no room to do so. She didn't even have time to react but her car applied the brakes. The collision was not avoidable and her car was a total loss (2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, fully loaded) but both her and my son walked away basically unhurt. She was traveling about 35 mph and the guy that smashed into her head on was doing at least that. I'm not sure how much of a factor the automatic braking was but it certainly wasn't a detriment. The energy of the crash was reduced because the car was moving slower at the moment of impact. That means the energy transferred to my family was reduced. The potential for injury was reduced.

I think some people are too focused on their own driving habits. What about everyone else? Sometimes the collision is not your fault in which case any assistance you can get is a good thing.
Sponsored