Sponsored

Different Front & Rear Bumpers with Mopar/OEM Rear?

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the plastic bumpers for my JLUR. i have been looking at the LOD signature front bumper, but do not want to get the rear and have to relocate the license plate, and if not needed would not want the spare tire reinforcement/support.

So I'd like to get the OEM rear steel bumper - I'd think no license plate re-locator would be needed, and if the largest wheel/tire I went to was a 35, don't think I would need extra spare tire support?

Thoughts on if or why I should or shouldn't get the OEM rear steel bumper?
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
No issues there. I am past week 4 waiting on my LOD Signature shorty front bumper. I plan on looking out for someone selling a rear steel OEM bumper as I also want to keep the stock license plate location and I have the rear sensors. So the stock bumper would work perfect for me.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The steel OEM rear looks pretty much like the plastic one. I put a steel front on and never bothered with the rear. Spend my money on other things.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I was planning to do the same, but hearing other users here complain about the Mopar rear bumper I changed my mind. Apparently it has issues bending into the body and causing damage to the body and paint.

OP
OP

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The steel OEM rear looks pretty much like the plastic one. I put a steel front on and never bothered with the rear. Spend my money on other things.

I’d leave it but want to balance out, and honestly don’t care about what the rear looks like as much - just want something functional (with the added steel protection) with the least amount of intrusion to the current setup, as long as it will work with the 35’s I end up with.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was planning to do the same, but hearing other users here complain about the Mopar rear bumper I changed my mind. Apparently it has issues bending into the body and causing damage to the body and paint.

Interesting - have not heard this. Any other rear bumpers you’d recommend that would be essentially a swap, and allow for 35” tires down the road?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’d leave it but want to balance out, and honestly don’t care about what the rear looks like as much - just want something functional (with the added steel protection) with the least amount of intrusion to the current setup, as long as it will work with the 35’s I end up with.
If you’re going to wheel at high approach angles, you might want to change the bumper and tire carrier. Just going to 35s are not a problem on a rubicon. I’ll go to 35s when my 33s wear out

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
What do you mean by balance out? Weight or something psychological?

Interesting - have not heard this. Any other rear bumpers you’d recommend that would be essentially a swap, and allow for 35” tires down the road?
I don't know of any in particular, but any aftermarket bumper should fit 35" tires just fine. My issue has been finding one that wraps around and lines up properly with the fenders.

OP
OP

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you’re going to wheel at high approach angles, you might want to change the bumper and tire carrier. Just going to 35s are not a problem on a rubicon. I’ll go to 35s when my 33s wear out
Because of the weight of the tire at that angle, and bumper being lower or sticking out further than others?

OP
OP

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What do you mean by balance out? Weight or something psychological?

I don't know of any in particular, but any aftermarket bumper should fit 35" tires just fine. My issue has been finding one that wraps around and lines up properly with the fenders.
Weight. And as long as the other bumpers can handle the 35’s without having to reposition the spare (having to also purchase a spare re-enforcement or mount) I’d be fine with it. Don’t like the license plate relocation though.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Weight. And as long as the other bumpers can handle the 35’s without having to reposition the spare (having to also purchase a spare re-enforcement or mount) I’d be fine with it. Don’t like the license plate relocation though.
ALL of the weight in your jeep is located up front. The rear bumper isn't going to change that.

The license plate almost always gets moved because of the low profile of aftermarket bumpers.

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I put the LOD front bumper on. I did have to wait a little to get it but I like it. I order it in bare steel and then I had a LIne X bed liner spray put on. It came out good.
I have the plastic rear bumper but I would like to a least beef up my spare tire carrier on the tail gate or go with a new rear bumper and carrier combo . I do agree it is better to spend a little more now then to cheap out cause I see a lot of jeeps up here in Canada with the salt they put on are roads in the winter I see cheap parts rusting in as little as 6 months. My jeep is only 9 months old and I notice the other day my wheel nuts are rusting already. They are aftermarket but I guess they are cheap. So I still do not know which way I am going to go for the rear but I do like the stock licence plate position. I will just keep searching until something grabs my attention. I still have a self full of small items to install like light bars grab handles. Still have not put my CB in. I got my Roam side steps 2 weeks ago and still have not had time to install. So I figure I got lots of time to worry about rear bumper.
I have never been one to worry about matching brand names all over my jeep I just buy what catches my eye.

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG