Recall and Stop Sale on Certain 2020 Gladiators For Bad Driveshafts

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
As someone who works for a company that doesn't manufacture but assembles its product we have onsite QA that inspects all incoming parts. BUT, we do not inspect EVERY SINGLE PART. It's just not feasible to do so, so we occasionally have an issue that can cause our product to not perform properly or even fail. We inspect a random 10% sample. If a certain number to not meet our specifications for that part, we then inspect 100%.

I can imagine a similar practice when dealing with the scale of product that a company like FCA has. I certainly don't like that my truck is in the possibly affected range, but I'm glad they discovered it and are doing something about it.
How would you have inspected a sealed unit bearing that arrived at the assembly plant, or an order of 3,000 of them?
Sponsored

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
here is a link to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls so u can cross check here as well as the mopar link..... I am within the date but came clean on both but as mentioned before still skeptical and I plan on asking for a inspection with the dealer (assuming parts come ready which seems like is no time soon)

Reactions: DHP

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
How would you have inspected a sealed unit bearing that arrived at the assembly plant, or an order of 3,000 of them?
I was being more general (since some folks were upset that recalls even happened) and not necessarily about this current issue. As far as inspecting a part that is sealed unit, I'm sure there are non-invasive ways to do it. I work in the oil industry and x-rays of welds in various parts are a common method to find imperfections that the eye can't see.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I was being more general (since some folks were upset that recalls even happened) and not necessarily about this current issue. As far as inspecting a part that is sealed unit, I'm sure there are non-invasive ways to do it. I work in the oil industry and x-rays of welds in various parts are a common method to find imperfections that the eye can't see.
I know, I'm not a stranger to non destructive inspection.

The answer is there is effectively no way to inspect a lot of sealed bearings for lubrication sort of opening a statistically significant percentage of them up, then you have nothing more than a statistical likelihood that the others pass or fail.

Which begs the question , did Dana manufacture the bearing or was it sourced from a third party? About a 50/50 chance that the bearing was sourced externally.

Kind of like rain, it has to start and stop somewhere, in a production run of bearings the grease dispensing function fails for one reason or another at some point or another, how big is the run? 5k? 10k?...at some point somebody likely knew those bearings were dry and shipped them anyway

Fear or avoidance of issuing a recall is much more of a concern than issuing one and correcting a know issue.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Anyone know if this is transmission specific, or axel specific? I ordered my Gladiator July 30th, just got a call it would begging getting built until December 2nd. This was due to the recall from what the rep told me but no answers on what specifically I could change in my build to bring in the date. The axel was the track lock limited slip.
This doesn’t make sense to me. The recall is for specific vehicles built from December until 6/25. You placed your order over a month after this.

Sponsored

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX being replaced by Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction
I also get how things slip through, even with all of the QA fail-safe measures in place, but the lack of action to remedy is where they are falling short. It is quite hard to imagine that 5% of the units shipped over a 6-7 month period are the only affected ones. For FCA to keep producing Gladiators without addressing the ones sitting on dealer lot and those that customers are driving on the streets is WRONG.

FCA needs to stop the production if they are stopping sales and advising customers to stop driving the vehicles. If stopping is good enough for the client, then it is for the producer.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I also get how things slip through, even with all of the QA fail-safe measures in place, but the lack of action to remedy is where they are falling short. It is quite hard to imagine that 5% of the units shipped over a 6-7 month period are the only affected ones. For FCA to keep producing Gladiators without addressing the ones sitting on dealer lot and those that customers are driving on the streets is WRONG.

FCA needs to stop the production if they are stopping sales and advising customers to stop driving the vehicles. If stopping is good enough for the client, then it is for the producer.

That’s completely irrelevant. If the driveshafts are good they’ve got to continue filling orders. FCA will take care of the finance costs associated with the stop sale.

I ran a CV driveshaft with a torn off boot all the way back from Moab to San Diego. I knew it but still needed to get home. It was just beginning to send off death vibes 10 miles from home. Driveshafts don’t just blow up suddenly. Anyone with some understanding of their vehicle will detect the proble long before I comes apart. If your Jeep isn’t humming and there’s no slop from p to d or d to R, it’s likely 100% fine

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

Why would they stop production? They already have your money, and good shafts to continue building with.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Big picture: how is Jeep's reliability rating overall? (I have a Dodge, and WANT a JT). I'm getting close to hearing quite enough of QA issues, especially for the price point. Yeah, I know: "It's a Jeep thing, get over it". I strive to be impartial. There's brand loyalty, then there's blind loyalty.

I know I'll get flamed over this on a Jeep forum. I'm not running Jeep down; love what they're about and I want one. But for whatever reason, Jeep seems to be digging holes and won't put down the shovel. Supervision is hard, I guess.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Big picture: how is Jeep's reliability rating overall? (I have a Dodge, and WANT a JT). I'm getting close to hearing quite enough of QA issues, especially for the price point. Yeah, I know: "It's a Jeep thing, get over it". I strive to be impartial. There's brand loyalty, then there's blind loyalty.

I know I'll get flamed over this on a Jeep forum. I'm not running Jeep down; love what they're about and I want one. But for whatever reason, Jeep seems to be digging holes and won't put down the shovel. Supervision is hard, I guess.
This is not my first year vehicle and so far the experience has been better than others I've purchased (5K miles so far and had it since May). I had something minor with my back seat lock not working, and the to dealership's credit, they got me back on the road quickly. I'm not clear on what you mean by they are "digging holes and won't put down the shovel...".

Honestly, I am reading other major recalls that affect a huge population. It stinks if you are one of the 3K or less that this may have happened to, but they are just asking to check my vehicle and it's not necessary for me to drop everything and stop driving. I know people who had major problems with the new RAM where the control center was not working including climate controls. There folks were in Texas with no AC. Well, heck, here are just a few: https://www.cars.com/research/ram-1500-2019/recalls/.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Every brand has recalls. Toyota for example once led the world in number of recalls, including one in which they were buying back entire trucks because the frames were folding in half. Yet, despite all of Toyota's quality issues, nobody hesitates to buy one.

For some reason, every time FCA issues a proactive recall to fix something quick people immediately label them junk.

Consumers are a very odd group.

Big Red Gladiator

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra (gone... Just totaled it 4/22/19) Now a 2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited, RX350 (Wife's) and soon a Gladiator LE
All I know is this is the first time "I got the shaft" and still love it. :rock:
Mine is the LE with a 6/19/19 build date. I now check the mono block every few days to see if it feels too hot.
As of today 9/15 I have 11,862 mile on her.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Every brand has recalls. Toyota for example once led the world in number of recalls, including one in which they were buying back entire trucks because the frames were folding in half. Yet, despite all of Toyota's quality issues, nobody hesitates to buy one.

For some reason, every time FCA issues a proactive recall to fix something quick people immediately label them junk.

Consumers are a very odd group.
Confirmation bias, people hearing what they want to hear.

I will say I am less than happy with the wind noise thing, and FCA shipping them anyway. I fixed about 95% of mine in my driveway . If I can fix it they certainly could have as well.

This entire driveshaft ordeal is almost entirely the fault of the supplier.

People wanting to divert product from manufacturing to warranty don't seem to understand the economic impact of doing so.

Can't sell the ones on dealer lots? Thats not really your problem, it is the dealer/FCA problem.

theHunter

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR-LE, 2019 F-250, 2011 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1997 TJ SE, 1995 F150, 1979 Corvette
All I know is this is the first time "I got the shaft" and still love it. :rock:
Mine is the LE with a 6/19/19 build date. I now check the mono block every few days to see if it feels too hot.
As of today 9/15 I have 11,862 mile on her.

My LE was produced on 6/19 also, only have 2600 miles. I checked the websites and both show that my vehicle is not one of the recalled ones. I am wondering if it has to do with a particular model or configuration, if everyone that shows they are effected would post their build model and gear ratio we could probably narrow it down to which ones are effected.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have an Overland that says it was built in April. It has over 2k miles on it and a 600 mile trip coming up in a couple days. It seems to be just fine. If I'm reading the code correctly, it was built at 6pm on Friday, March 29th.
20190828_015650.jpg
Sponsored