Sponsored

JLU pulling a travel trailer? No problem!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking into the 19FD, which doesn't have the slide out, slightly different floor plan, but its a bit lighter at 2800lb dry and 390 on the hitch.
We were actually looking for the G19FD at first and in some ways would have preferred that. In the end, the additional room and the permanent bed pushed us into the 19FBS. Wasn't an easy choice though. Also took me a while to figure out that the Flagstaff E-Pro and Rockwood Geo-Pro are the exact same trailers under different 'brand' names, but both are made buy Forest River. Good luck and hope you enjoy!
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up a small teardrop type camper for behind the JLUR. It is sturdy and can be pulled down the trail.

vtetax2fhwfhqhicmqilodgiyho7xcnq1jbgrahzioweoziejixwwc1d2owayt2c0yh0usuar_miek-w1010-h757-no-jpg.jpg

2jsst5ayary49bda9hf1zggzmmn8zocnhlfu_6ootkizv6dftkxa8fyd3xogdnj7czp4-dtj4igjdb-w1346-h757-no-jpg.jpg

Headed from Michigan to Colorado in a couple weeks.
Looks like the E12RK model. Nice little trailer. I love that the E-Pro (and Geo-Pro) trailers come with the "off-road' package, looks good behind the Jeep! Hope you enjoy!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Looks like the E12RK model. Nice little trailer. I love that the E-Pro (and Geo-Pro) trailers come with the "off-road' package, looks good behind the Jeep! Hope you enjoy!
It is the E12RK. I bought it brand new its a 2020 model. paid 10500 out the door. While I have not used it yet, my wife and her girlfriend took it on a 400+ mile trip last weekend. The JLUR still got 13.6 towing the trail with 37s on the Jeep. We are headed to Colorado in about two weeks.....Heck yeah. Can't wait.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
We bought and pulled a new Forest River R-POD 179 this weekend. I wanted to share this for those on the fence about buying or towing anything with alot of weight with a JLU. A few notables here:

1. The Wrangler tow capacity with 3500lbs.

2. The R-Pod is 2600lbs (dry weight).

3. I have a class 3 Curt hitch. (You can use class 2 but your square receiver will only be about 1 1/4 compared to the 2 inch that the class 3 is, but I got a good deal on a price match for a class 3)

4. We installed a weight distribution hitch for 2 reasons.
A. The Jeep doesn't 'sag' or go into a "V" when hooking up the RV. It stays pretty much even with the trailer.
B. The trailer stays in ONE place directly behind the Jeep without going all over the road.

5. I installed the "autowbrake" (spelled just like if you want to Google it) its wireless and installed on the trailer and NOT inside you jeep cab. This thing is awesome! Took about 20 min to install and calibrate.

upload_2019-5-30_14-56-12.png

I will admit, driving in the Smoky Mountains (there are some STEEP grades) I had my doubts for sure. The jeep never ever complained and the 8 speed auto trans was an absolute beast. It shifted when it was supposed to (no high revving for a long time) and the temperature stayed the same through out.

My gas mileage was about 20 MPG unhitched to 13.5 MPG hitched.

The jeep and its capabilities have totally won me over this weekend and for those wondering to get an RV, do it! (I was almost about to get a truck just for pulling because of the worries)

20190526200431_IMG_0538.JPG

Here you can see that the weight distro hitch keeping things even (and again, no swaying on the roads)

IMG_0264.jpg
Great looking set-up and we love the Smoky Mountains also.

My biggest question if anyone knows the answer is why the JL is only rated at 3,500 pound towing in the U.S. and the exact same model is rated at 5,500 pounds in Europe? I've seen some specs listed for the same Rubicon and Sahara in Germany and England and really wonder what the difference is. 5,500 pounds will greatly open up what is available to tow with your Jeep.

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Great looking set-up and we love the Smoky Mountains also.

My biggest question if anyone knows the answer is why the JL is only rated at 3,500 pound towing in the U.S. and the exact same model is rated at 5,500 pounds in Europe? I've seen some specs listed for the same Rubicon and Sahara in Germany and England and really wonder what the difference is. 5,500 pounds will greatly open up what is available to tow with your Jeep.
Thats a great question! But I do not know. I wondered the same thing as I think there was a post on here a while back of a guy towing 4500lbs without any issue as well.

Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
The weak link in the Jeep Wrangler is the receiver. It is relatively weak and is only engineered for a tongue weight of 350 lbs. If you get the hitch strengthened to a Class IV by an experienced hitch shop you will be able to use a weight distribution hitch to transfer some of the hitch load, about 30% to the steering axle and another 30% to the trailer axles. Load the trailer so that 10-15% of the trailer weight is on the tongue and heavy items in front of the axle(s). Be sure and use a hitch that provides sway control as well.
Can you provide a picture of your class 4 hitch?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Can you provide a picture of your class 4 hitch?
Here are some photos of the hitch work that was done on my JKU. I am taking my new JLU in this week for hitch upgrade work. I have installed a Magnaflow American Thunder axle back exhaust pipe (817837) muffler delete to make the hitch work easier than on the JKU.

Jeep Hitch 1.jpg

Jeep Hitch 2.jpg

Jeep Hitch 3.jpg

Jeep Hitch 4.jpg

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Here are some photos of the hitch work that was done on my JKU. I am taking my new JLU in this week for hitch upgrade work. I have installed a Magnaflow American Thunder axle back exhaust pipe (817837) muffler delete to make the hitch work easier than on the JKU.

Jeep Hitch 1.jpg

Jeep Hitch 2.jpg

Jeep Hitch 3.jpg

Jeep Hitch 4.jpg
Thanks and be prepared to send us picts of the JLU mod as well! LOL

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks and be prepared to send us picts of the JLU mod as well! LOL
As you requested.

Rubicon Hitch 1.jpg

Rubicon Hitch 2.jpg

Rubicon Hitch 3.jpg

An piece of angle iron was welded between the frame members and then the square tubing was welded between the receiver and the angle iron.

The new steel has been painted and undercoated after the photos.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
As you requested.

Rubicon Hitch 1.jpg

Rubicon Hitch 2.jpg

Rubicon Hitch 3.jpg

An piece of angle iron was welded between the frame members and then the square tubing was welded between the receiver and the angle iron.

Making it "class 4" then is just additional welded support? It's not a whole new hitch assembly? Is the frame member towards the axle that sturdy? Looks a little anemic to me.

Thanks for the pictures.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Making it "class 4" then is just additional welded support? It's not a whole new hitch assembly? Is the frame member towards the axle that sturdy? Looks a little anemic to me.

Thanks for the pictures.
They added 1/4" steel angle iron between the frame rails. The fore/aft square tubing is welded to the angle iron and to the receiver. There is an additional brace (hard to see in the photos) from the angle iron to a Jeep cross member. The strengthening is to prevent twisting of the receiver when used with weight distribution bars. The receiver is now strong enough to carry a larger tongue weight and the WD system is now able to transfer some of the tongue weight to the front axle and some back to the trailer axles.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Just brought this one home not too long ago. It's a 16' Airstream Caravel. It towed very well from the dealer which is about 30 miles away. Cant wait to get out on a trip with the Jeep to test her out. I used my Ram for the maiden voyage since the trip was an 11 hour drive away. I plan to tow it with my Jeep on shorter runs that are under 5 hours or so away. I'm running 35's currently with a 2.5" lift. It's getting a 3.5"MC Lift as we speak and I plan to go to 37"s. Now I just have to figure out what gears are going to be the sweet spot.

IMG_3221.JPG
Cha-Ching! Very nice!

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
As you requested.

Rubicon Hitch 1.jpg

Rubicon Hitch 2.jpg

Rubicon Hitch 3.jpg

So, how much weight have you been advised to pull with this setup?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So, how much weight have you been advised to pull with this setup?
Up to a 25’ Airstream - 835 lbs tongue weight and maximum trailer weight of 7300 lbs. The strengthening of the receiver allows the use of a weight distribution hitch which will transfer about 275 lbs to the front axles and 275 lbs to the trailer axles.
Sponsored