The clutch gang!

Jlgood672

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HellaYella JLU Sport S
I just ordered a manual JLUR. Jeep chat said it was built yesterday. My second car was a manual 91 Chevy Corsica (horrendous clutch pedal)...but I loved it anyway. It was rear ended and totaled in 2004 and I haven't had a manual since. Getting a manual for the following reasons:
Wife actually wants to learn
More fun
Aisin quality
Less trust in FCA auto quality
Live on a mountain and get a decent amount of snow
Cheaper and easier repair if necessary
Potential theft deterrent when you have no doors or roof

I just hope I don't embarrass myself by stalling as I drive off the lot after 15 years of autos...
Don't do what I did. Stalled it when I went to pull out of the prep garage. My sales guy laughed and said "parking brake" I hadn't driven MT since '05, but I picked it back up like I had been driving it all along. I've had my JLU Sport for 2 months and I am loving it! I'm teaching my 15 year-old son how to drive and my 13 year-old is chomping at the bit to get behind the wheel. The boys think it's so cool that mom drives a HellaYella MT Jeep.
Sponsored

Jlgood672

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HellaYella JLU Sport S
This is my third Wrangler, fourth MT. I had to give up my '99 Sahara in '05 after my oldest was born and I have been dreaming of the day that I would be able to get back into a Wrangler AND go back to a stick shift. I love being able to control the engine and it is just fun to drive. I hated driving automatic, but I couldn't find a decent priced SUV with stick. I sucked it up for as long as I could, but I jumped at the chance to dump my Durango 2 months ago and get back into a Wrangler. I'm teaching my 15 year-old to drive right now and my 13 year-old can't wait to be able drive as well.

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
First Jeep, first manual! Having some issues with my clutch rn but dealership is replacing. Master and slave went out, leaky seals.

Captain Obvious

First Name
Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2 door
Had to special order to get what we wanted. Just placed an order for an Ocean Blue two door Rubicon, pretty much loaded with everything, but with a soft top and a 6 speed, because Jeep things. We sold my wife's 2016 Camaro SS Convertible to get her back into a Jeep, she said if the Camaro had been a manual, she'd have kept it. Yeah, she likes the stick shift.

seb34567

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pavillonbasilieres.com
Vehicle(s)
Roxor LE 2018, Ram 1500 classic 2019, Suzuki XL7 2007, Nissan Leaf 2014, Mazda B4000 2010
Occupation
Outfitter
Hi, I just ordered a 2020 manual jlu custom build. Here in quebec it's almost impossible to find a manual car that is not a small Mazda 2 or similar. Me and my wife wanted a 6 seater manual 4x4... Only in europe! We love to shift ourself and sadly people like us are slowly disapearing. Its so ridiculous, all the salespeople trying to sell us an automatic because they dont have manuals on the lot....

Sponsored

flipflopgirl72

First Name
Stephayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Bikini Pearl 2007 Wrangler Sahara Silver
Its nice to find there are still many of us manual drivers out there! I am currently waiting on a 2020 Rubi that I had to order due to a shortage of manuals. Salesmen kept trying to get me to accept an auto and I told them it was a deal breaker. I currently drive a 07 Sahara JK that is manual so there is no other option than manual in a jeep for me!!! Glad to have found this group! Hoping to pick up my new ride in the next 2 weeks!!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There's not a moment I'm driving the JL where that six speed hasn't put a stupid smile on my face! I know the auto is a very good one, but for me, the six speed adds tremendously to the enjoyment of this awesome vehicle.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Its nice to find there are still many of us manual drivers out there! I am currently waiting on a 2020 Rubi that I had to order due to a shortage of manuals. Salesmen kept trying to get me to accept an auto and I told them it was a deal breaker. I currently drive a 07 Sahara JK that is manual so there is no other option than manual in a jeep for me!!! Glad to have found this group! Hoping to pick up my new ride in the next 2 weeks!!
Tell them if they wanna make a sale, they gotta stop pushing you

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Especially with the manual being a $2000 option!! No thanks. Manual all of the way. 3rd Jeep, 3rd Manual. No other way.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I am very happy with my 2018 JLUR MT (After almost 25 years with my '93 Cherokee 5sp).

Took some searching but did find MT Rubicon w/o kilobucks of unwanted options. Try cars.com, kbb.com and dealer websites rather than actually visiting dealers. You can find what you want (or close) and get a good idea of a fair price.

Sponsored

805Dirtdog

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
Should have our white jlur by the end of the month. We love our 4runner, and have always had yotas, but my wife misses having a manual. So I talked her into trying out our friends new rubi and she loved it. Unfortunately there were no manuals to test drive anywhere remotely close to us so we just pulled the trigger and ordered one. Can't wait!

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Should have our white jlur by the end of the month. We love our 4runner, and have always had yotas, but my wife misses having a manual. So I talked her into trying out our friends new rubi and she loved it. Unfortunately there were no manuals to test drive anywhere remotely close to us so we just pulled the trigger and ordered one. Can't wait!
Hi Brett, I think you'll be very pleased, it's got a lot of nice features.
I ended up going to a dealer just south of Sacramento...

Bob

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you from experience 8, you’re gonna love that manual trans too. The JK stick was more “truckish” compared to this new Japanese one. This one’s more like a sports car. Ton of fun to drive. The only slight negative is if you’re driving uphill in 2nd you have to rev it out because it gets a little flat from 2nd to 3rd. Don’t let it discourage you because on flat road it’s fine. Also, there’s positives. With the higher gear ratio I definitely notice better fuel consumption than my last JK. 4th is direct and 5th and 6th are both overdrives. Overall the JL is much more comfortable and has so many nice features you’re gonna love it.

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR & 2017 VW Golf R
Occupation
Manager
I prefer to drive with a manual transmission simply because it’s more fun to me. The other bonuses are less complexity and engine braking. My 08 JKU was a manual and the JLUR I have now is remarkably smoother. The clutch is lighter than I anticipated (my VW Golf has a heavier clutch pedal). The manual trans is one of the reasons I had to order mine for both Jeeps.

One thing... In my JK the shifter broke off once when backing out of my garage. There is a welded section I assume allows it to break away during a crash. I’ll expect this not to happen with my JL!
Sponsored