Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I broke a bolt on a 2 door.
@Captain Obvious , the problem is 100% the front body bolts. Indeed, I can't remember a thread where it was one of the rear bolts.

Anyway, the difference in the 2-door and 4-door is that the 4-door has the red locktite bolts in rhe front, and 2 sets of the blue locktite bolts in the rear. The 2-door still has the same red loctite'd front bolts, but only one set of the bule Loctite bolts in the rear. S

So yeah, problems can still happen on the 2-door.

FYI, I was successful with just a heat gun and a 24 inch breaker bar, just by going back and forth on the front bolts to keep the threads clear. Anytime I felt any extra binding, I hit it with the heat gun for a few minutes, and then right back to the back and forth motion on the breaker bar. I would advise against using an impact gun, because you'll never get the feel when something is binding (though lucky one have done it). Yes my method takes a little more time constantly going back an forth (going just a little looser each time), but as I've said before, its a huge time (as money) savings than if you break a bolt.

Good luck!
Mine was the middle body bolt, not the front.
Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Mine was the middle body bolt, not the front.
Well that is a very rare occurrence indeed. First time I've heard of that happening to anyone. One wonders if they ran out of blue Loctite bolts and just decided to use the red Loctite bolts until more came in. So far as I can tell those bolts are otherwise identical.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Well that is a very rare occurrence indeed. First time I've heard of that happening to anyone. One wonders if they ran out of blue Loctite bolts and just decided to use the red Loctite bolts until more came in. So far as I can tell those bolts are otherwise identical.
Yeah, well, in my 66 years I have learned if it can happen to anyone, it will happen to me. :(

But I just got my jeep back, and yes, it was red loctite on the bolt. I had the body shop save it for me. I was surprised as well. I don't know how they got it out, all I know is that it took cutting, patching, sealing and painting.

I then had them put on my new rock rails. Total bill: $121.23.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Just to add to the thread of dread! 18 2 door jl with 3k on it about 3 months old through a summer, d/f bolt came out with much struggle but no snap. P/f snapped 3 turns of the bolt right at the red locktite. Wish i saw this thread ahead of time but ill be praying its warrantied!
While attempting to install a set of sliders, I was removing the passenger, front (behind front wheel) body mount bolt. Using a 3/8 drive, regular length ratchet, with a moderate pull, the bolt turned about a half rotation and snapped off. During the install, this was the 6th and last bolt needed to be removed.

I took it to my local Jeep dealership. After looking at it, they responded with a "not covered under warranty". They claimed that the bolt was cross threaded when I reinstalled it. Fine, except, I never removed the bolt. If it was cross threaded, they did it at the factory. I had them call Jeep. Jeep said I never should have removed that bolt. It was then suggested that I call Jeep myself. Maybe I would have better luck.

My first step was to reach out here to @JeepCares , after no response, I called the 800 number. My rep said he would look in to it. The response was that as I was installing aftermarket parts, Jeep was not responsible. I never mentioned the brand of the part I was installing. They said that they would try and take care of me once they found out how much it would cost to cut open the body, replace the body nut and weld it all back up. Eventually they offered to cover most of the repair, with me being responsible to about 20%.

The bolt:

1525304485420.jpg
E8A46871-CA0D-45B7-9A29-920E380FEEC3.jpeg

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Just to add to the thread of dread! 18 2 door jl with 3k on it about 3 months old through a summer, d/f bolt came out with much struggle but no snap. P/f snapped 3 turns of the bolt right at the red locktite. Wish i saw this thread ahead of time but ill be praying its warrantied!

E8A46871-CA0D-45B7-9A29-920E380FEEC3.jpeg
Call Jeep Cares ASAP. Tell them.

Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
My front passenger bolt started squeaking and making noise, which was scaring the shit out of me. Stopped and put pb blaster on it and it may have helped. Had already read this thread before doing my sliders but stilled scared me. Used a big breaker bar and went a 1/4 turn or so at a time.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Update: called Jeep, set up an appointment, so far (not getting my hopes up yet) case worker beleive it may be a warranty-able issue as it sounds. I explained as I read here. The both snapped 3 quarter turns on its way out. Will keep posted though.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My front passenger bolt started squeaking and making noise, which was scaring the shit out of me. Stopped and put pb blaster on it and it may have helped. Had already read this thread before doing my sliders but stilled scared me. Used a big breaker bar and went a 1/4 turn or so at a time.
When it seems like it may be about to break, stop and reverse direction a couple of turns then proceed again removing it. Doing this periodically seems to have helped some avoid snapping it off.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I just wonder how helpful Jeep will actually be about this.

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
And it might have saved some but not me! Mine snapped to quickly to even go back

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
When it seems like it may be about to break, stop and reverse direction a couple of turns then proceed again removing it. Doing this periodically seems to have helped some avoid snapping it off.
I did this as well to help clear the loctite off but was still scary. Didn’t want that damn bolt to break.

Granni44

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hey All,

Wanted to add my, well my dealers install experience to the thread. Its pretty simple actually. No issues whatsoever. Reading this thread I erred on the side of caution. I asked the my dealer to install my @mcaftermarket rock rails. $30 done. I have a 2018 early build JLU sport. With 30k already on the odo and living in Rochester, New York it has seen plenty of salt from the roads during the winter. Lucky or not I consider myself fortunate. Good Luck to those who go for it.

IMG_6015.jpg
IMG_6016.jpg

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
So far dealer claims it was my fault untill I said it was a factory bolt on its way out. Now it went from it’s my fault to i have to speak with a service manager and he’ll have final say.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All,

Wanted to add my, well my dealers install experience to the thread. Its pretty simple actually. No issues whatsoever. Reading this thread I erred on the side of caution. I asked the my dealer to install my @mcaftermarket rock rails. $30 done. I have a 2018 early build JLU sport. With 30k already on the odo and living in Rochester, New York it has seen plenty of salt from the roads during the winter. Lucky or not I consider myself fortunate. Good Luck to those who go for it.

IMG_6015.jpg
IMG_6016.jpg
Did they actually have to take the bolts out or do the sliders go around? Even though my sliders said to remove the bolts you didn't have to, they just fit around the body mount bolts.
Sponsored