Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That is very interesting! I didn’t see a price but that may be a good option. I already have the factory 8.4” or I might otherwise call that company for more details.
I like this too and may have considered this if it could do 3 extra cameras but on their site it states as an "OR" not "AND" so that leads me to believe that it will only do one extra camera besides the backup cam...
  • Add aftermarket front, rear or right cameras

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
That is very interesting! I didn’t see a price but that may be a good option. I already have the factory 8.4” or I might otherwise call that company for more details.
Be careful on this I bought similar ( Seicane ) , The Factory camera will not work since it is using Fakra connection. I even bought Fakra to RCA and sill no luck. You have to buy after market backup camera.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful on this I bought similar ( Seicane ) , The Factory camera will not work since it is using Fakra connection. I even bought Fakra to RCA and sill no luck. You have to buy after market backup camera.
Fortunately I already have the factory 8.4”

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
(2) 2019 JLURs, 2015 JKU, 2010 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this thread and all of your input and suggestion!!! I just finished up my install and programming... it works!!!

20190728_111121.jpg
20190728_111257.jpg
20190728_111302.jpg
20190728_111252.jpg

Sponsored

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So, I bought Z Automotive's Jeep Wrangler JL Front Camera kit...it's a very nice package deal. Installed everything per the instructions, enable the Cargo Cam on my Tazer and I get a blue screen saying "Camera System Unavailable". I chatted with Joe about it...he's sends me a new front cam package. I do the following:

1. Install new camera....nope.
2. Ran a new video line...nope.
3. Installed new video cable (with the pig tails)….nope.
4. Tried hooking up the camera directly to the battery (literally to the battery)….nope. I should add that the wiring harness they send has you drawing power from the driver's side cigarette lighter. I know most of you are tapping into the red wire out of the radio.

I keep getting the same blue screen saying that the "camera system unavailable". Any ideas or suggestions? Joe is still working with me on this, but I can't figure it out. Frustrating!

Last edited:

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, I bought Z Automotive's Jeep Wrangler JL Front Camera kit...
3. Installed new video cable (with the pig tails)….nope.
Did you get the simple $25 yellow wire or the $50 wiring harness?

Disconnect those extra red wires and tape them off. I read about those earlier in the thread and no one used them so neither did I. Even the guys video on zautomotive said don't use them. I really don't know if that's the difference but it could be... ?

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you get the simple $25 yellow wire or the $50 wiring harness?

Disconnect those extra red wires and tape them off. I read about those earlier in the thread and no one used them so neither did I. Even the guys video on zautomotive said don't use them. I really don't know if that's the difference but it could be... ?
The package that I bought from them has everything all wrapped up neatly:

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-front-camera/

rtucker6508

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
AtlasOffroadConcepts.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Well, Joe (Tazer guy/Zautomotive) figured it out...as a last minute ditch before claiming that it was the brand new software in my radio, Joe has me use ports 21 and 22 versus the 24 and 25 and wala, I have a front cam! LOL. Gotta love it.

Sponsored

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Has anyone added more than one camera? If so, how did you setup the ability to switch from one camera to the other?

Thanks.
I haven't done multiple cameras yet, but I've been thinking about it. Eventually I'll want a second backup camera for towing, and possibly a camera to mount some where on the roof rack to keep an eye on things up top. Here's what I'm thinking. Essentially you have to make an A/B switcher--think back to the days before HDMI and digital receivers when you had to switch from VCR to TV tuner or whatever. I think you can DIY one of these with a couple MOSFET transistors or a bus switch. If you know what you are doing it's just a few dollars of microchips and some soldering. The actual circuit would be pretty small and could be tucked away behind trim or wherever. Wire in push button that cycles through each input, and you're all set.

Not sure if I'll wire this up or not, but I'm happy to share more specific plans when I come up with them.

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Does anyone know what size those pins are that clip into the factory harness? I would prefer to make my own adapter cable but am having trouble locating what type of pins would be needed.
I spent a good chunk of time researching this and eventually broke down and just ordered the cable from Z. I had a female pin that accepts .64 mm male pin, and that fit on the pins in the radio, but the pin was designed for a different style of housing and would 'click' into the connector. When I get the cable from Z, I plan to take some good pictures and measurements to see if I can track down the right pins. My guess is if they are available, you can find them here: https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/...section/ampseal-connectors.html?tab=pgp-story

SPooN887

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I haven't done multiple cameras yet, but I've been thinking about it. Eventually I'll want a second backup camera for towing, and possibly a camera to mount some where on the roof rack to keep an eye on things up top. Here's what I'm thinking. Essentially you have to make an A/B switcher--think back to the days before HDMI and digital receivers when you had to switch from VCR to TV tuner or whatever. I think you can DIY one of these with a couple MOSFET transistors or a bus switch. If you know what you are doing it's just a few dollars of microchips and some soldering. The actual circuit would be pretty small and could be tucked away behind trim or wherever. Wire in push button that cycles through each input, and you're all set.

Not sure if I'll wire this up or not, but I'm happy to share more specific plans when I come up with them.
That sounds much better than my idea. What first came to mind as a solution for this was picking up an off-the-shelf RCA switch that I could filter the different camera inputs through and just tuck that switch away somewhere. Your approach would probably save on space and be more practical. I can solder but I don’t know my way around microchips and designing such a device. I mainly want to add two front facing cameras; the JT style camera on the grill and another under the bumper that would give me a better sight picture for what’s immediately in front of the Jeep.

Thanks for your reply!

dwayneturner70

First Name
Dwayne Turner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ignore my question. I found the answer buried in the questions on the product page. :)

"These pigtails make supplying remote power, when you have to, easier. Inside the extension cable there are 3 conductors - a video signal conductor (connected to the central pin of each RCA plug), a +12VDC power conductor (connected to the red pigtails), and a shared ground for both (connected to the perimeter grounds on each RCA plug). If used, attach the red pigtail on the non camera end of this optional extension cable to +12VDC power, and the red pigtail on the camera end to the red wire of the regular camera cable. Assuming whatever display you are using is also grounded, then a separate ground is not needed and the black wire in the regular camera cable can be ignored (just tape it off). "

How did you install turn out? I would love to see the wiring as I was unsuccessful> I get a blue screen.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Big hat tips to everyone who took on this mod! Question on warranty though. Is anyone concerned about wiring the front camera into the head unit and powering off the red wire would void warranty coverage on anything?
Sponsored