First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 1979 Power Wagon, 1974 CJ5, 2004 Rubicon, 1991 Mustang
Occupation
Sales Consultant
Makes perfect sense. Have you found a sweet spot crawling moderate trails? Gear 1, 2, ?? Or are you pretty active depending on engine revs like a manual?
With the 8 speed behind it, it is very accurate! Normal trails and what not I would let it do it’s thing in Drive. If there’s something you think you need to eyeball before attempting it would probably be the time for it. Think about it like the Jeep was a 6 speed manual. Anything you wouldn’t think about shifting gears during would most likely be the equivalent to running manual mode (to hold the lower gear) in the automatic. It may not be quite as dramatic in the Rubi but I’m running a Sport with 3.45’s.
Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
With the 8 speed behind it, it is very accurate! Normal trails and what not I would let it do it’s thing in Drive. If there’s something you think you need to eyeball before attempting it would probably be the time for it. Think about it like the Jeep was a 6 speed manual. Anything you wouldn’t think about shifting gears during would most likely be the equivalent to running manual mode (to hold the lower gear) in the automatic. It may not be quite as dramatic in the Rubi but I’m running a Sport with 3.45’s.
OK. Can’t wait to try... been waiting since mid February.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Learn to use the M mode in 4H 4L it works great, this may just be the best new upgrade in the JL along with the Uconnect. All the other tech, should have stayed on the drawing board.

Last edited:

rubydoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I did some moderate crawling in my JLUR and I had to switch to manual. In auto it kept shifting like crazy. During a climb I kept it in 1st but between climbs I upshifted to keep revs down.

Some really noisy fan kept coming on and it was VERY loud and annoying. My friend's JK sport a didn't do that so it must be either a Ruby thing or a JL thing

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I did some moderate crawling in my JLUR and I had to switch to manual. In auto it kept shifting like crazy. During a climb I kept it in 1st but between climbs I upshifted to keep revs down.

Some really noisy fan kept coming on and it was VERY loud and annoying. My friend's JK sport a didn't do that so it must be either a Ruby thing or a JL thing
JL thing. I have seen Sahara's do it. Lot of heat from the new transmission? Engine is essentially the same.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi all. Resurrecting an older thread... First time heading to Colorado to do some more technical trails. I've heard mixed reviews on this and never had an auto wrangler until now. For trails like alpine loop, is it best to put in 4-lo and leave in drive? or switch to manual mode and control what gear? Some stuff I've read/watched recently suggested if you're in 4-lo, to just put in manual mode. Any suggestions?

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Depends on the trail. Most of what I do is in 4lo the whole time. I go to manual for big obstacles or big hills (either up or down), otherwise leave it in auto. I found that I really like the descent control for really steep downhills, but wouldn't use it for anything unless it would otherwise need continual braking even in first.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi all. Resurrecting an older thread... First time heading to Colorado to do some more technical trails. I've heard mixed reviews on this and never had an auto wrangler until now. For trails like alpine loop, is it best to put in 4-lo and leave in drive? or switch to manual mode and control what gear? Some stuff I've read/watched recently suggested if you're in 4-lo, to just put in manual mode. Any suggestions?
It's really personal preference. I prefer manual. The Alpine Loop is stupid easy so it won't matter. You won't get 1st in D with a Rubi, if you care

I just like the control over my vehicle so I use manual a lot.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Learn to use the M mode in 4H 4L it works great, this may just be the best new upgrade in the JL along with the Uconnect. All the other tech, should have stayed on the drawing board.
This. Manual mode all day long on the trail. More control is good.

4L 1st gear is great :rock:

Sponsored

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This. Manual mode all day long on the trail. More control is good.

4L 1st gear is great :rock:
I agree. Anytime I'm in 4Lo, I use manual mode. Very rarely do I keep it in D while in 4Lo. I prefer the control I have over speed with the manual mode.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Every time Ive used 4L I'm at a constant speed because its a rough ride and it never shifts out of the default 2nd gear. If descending a rough steep hill where i need to control speed I use hill decent. If its smooth enough to go faster than 2nd gear/4L I switch to 4H or 2H. No point in winding up the Xfer case beyond 2nd gear. If I don't need to crawl......I don't need low range. Iv'e only used the M mode for hill decent. I've never needed 1st gear in 4L which would require M mode.

Last edited:

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I go back and forth depending on conditions. One thing I didn't like was when it was in auto mode, it would up shift into third and take off when your on the gas on an obstacle - not good for control. So now I leave it in auto when we're moving along and then drop it in manual for technical stuff.
Sponsored